Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things we've all done...

You all have humored my endless questions like true sports. So now I think we need to have some fun... I want to hear stories of the most pathetic, embarrasing things you guys have ever done on two wheels. I know you're all a bunch of pros now, but c'mon you weren't always superman. ;)

Allow me to start with perhaps the MOST PATHETIC drop story of all time. I had been on my new bike ten minutes at most. Hopped on it, took it around a couple buildings in a parking lot and was soooo impressed with how easy it was to ride. So I stop, turn it off and just sit on it with the biggest smile and start talking about what a great bike it is...

So at this point I decide it's a good idea to grab the bars and DEMONSTRATE how much it can lean (yeah, while it's off). Needless to say it leaned really far... Of course I was sitting on it so I fell right on my ass. I was so embarrased I wanted to crawl under it (oh, and I needed help to pick it back up). Lesson learned though... Don't lean the bike while it's off. :D

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I'll play.

This isn't a "trying to show off" story, but it was the first time I ever dropped a bike. It was my '92 CBR600 F2 (affectionately known as "The Beast"). I was headed home from who-knows-where and a girl that I was kinda seeing at the time was following me, and her sister was in the car too. I poorly chose the route back to my house and as a result, ended up at a T-intersection that has a nasty incline (incidentally, this particular intersection was the source of some embarrassment when I first learned to drive a manual tranny in a car). Anyways, I pull up to the stop sign, and since I was not used to working the front brake and throttle simultaneously at that point, I decided to just keep my foot on the rear brake. But the bike started to shift to the right. And not wanting to let it roll back into her car, I basically just went along for the ride as it toppled over. It was pretty embarrassing, only because there were chicks present.

But a month or 2 later, that chick tipped over the same bike in front of her house cause she wanted to sit on it and forgot which side the kickstand was on.

Lucky for her it wasn't my Gixxer.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Mine would be not so interesting and more on the ordinary. Day's end at the company's employee appreciation day and just had finished up in the volleyball tourney. Hopped on the bike, had to crank the bars before starting so I could pull an immediate U-turn and discovered that slow speed and very sharp turns don't coincide very well. In hindsight, you can do it with some counterbalance, but that wasn't part of the Beginner's MSF that I could recall. Dropped bike in front of my team mates :eek:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was an act of your subconscious. Next time, try to lose the pack.

Now that's just mean :D

I knew you guys would have some good ones. Kanwisch, did your teammates EVER let you live that one down? I did something similar on Tuesday (but I'm not ready to talk about that one yet:eek:).

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Well, I think that got forgotten after I crashed and totaled that same bike in a curve doing about 55-65 mph. Its all relative and apparently crash harassment gets overwritten with the latest and greatest.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Well, I think that got forgotten after I crashed and totaled that same bike in a curve doing about 55-65 mph. Its all relative and apparently crash harassment gets overwritten with the latest and greatest.
Ain't that the truth. That's the only good thing that came out of my second "crash;" it wasn't my fault, and everyone (but me) forgot about the first.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I bought a Buell Blast. 'Nuff said. :(

Attachments

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Still have it. Honestly it's not a bad bike if it's your first. We bought it for my wife to learn on, since it has a low seat height (she's short). The problem is that we bought it after having ridden on supersports. Once you've had that experience, the Blast just leaves a little to be desired.

As far as stupid things I've done on two wheels....hrm....I'm sure there are plenty. Probably splitting traffic in San Francisco at 80+ mph. Splitting is fine out there when the freeway is a 6 lane parking lot, but you tend to get more and more impatient the more you do it, so you start splitting at faster and faster speeds, etc.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still have it. Honestly it's not a bad bike if it's your first. We bought it for my wife to learn on, since it has a low seat height (she's short). The problem is that we bought it after having ridden on supersports. Once you've had that experience, the Blast just leaves a little to be desired.

As far as stupid things I've done on two wheels....hrm....I'm sure there are plenty. Probably splitting traffic in San Francisco at 80+ mph. Splitting is fine out there when the freeway is a 6 lane parking lot, but you tend to get more and more impatient the more you do it, so you start splitting at faster and faster speeds, etc.
Oh man I HATE it when people do that! :cussing; There's this one guy I see almost everyday during a.m. rush hour... He goes around ALL the cars waiting to get on the interstate then gets in the front of the line at the stop light. I have a great deal of respect for bikers (sport only, mind you) but I would soooo laugh if they finally tapped his tire a little.. :D

I saw a real winner yesterday too.. Out of five bikes I passed on my way home NOBODY had on any gear except for a helmet. But this one poor moron pulls out of Hooters and he must have been just trashed. I have never seen anyone wobble so badly on a bike before. I didn't even think he was going to make it out of the lot. No gear, not even gloves and from the looks of his license plate he appeared to have a 40 minute drive into the next state on his hands. :loser:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Lane splitting in Cali was legal. Hell the best situation to get into was to get behind a CHP officer on a bike, as they plowed the road quite well. As long as it's done safely its a good thing. Would you rather have them wait in line causing even longer waits for everyone?

I wish it were legal in more places, as it does help to move traffic along better.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lane splitting in Cali was legal. Hell the best situation to get into was to get behind a CHP officer on a bike, as they plowed the road quite well. As long as it's done safely its a good thing. Would you rather have them wait in line causing even longer waits for everyone?

I wish it were legal in more places, as it does help to move traffic along better.
That's waaaay illegal here and I personally don't see how that could possibly be considered safe. I would imagine that you know more about it then I do but yeah, I'd rather wait just like everyone else. To each his own I guess...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I'm pretty sure Cali is still the only state where it's legal. IIRC, you're only supposed to do it when traffic is at or near a stop and sudden lane changes, etc. aren't a concern.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure Cali is still the only state where it's legal. IIRC, you're only supposed to do it when traffic is at or near a stop and sudden lane changes, etc. aren't a concern.
Yeah that's what I don't get about it.. How are you supposed to predict the actions of all those other people (lane changes, doors opening, etc.) and what if there's wider trucks or cars riding the line. Not to mention all the crazies in the news recently throwing things at other drivers from their cars when they get pissed off. But I guess some people just have crazy skill :p

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
In theory, if you were splitting lanes, you'd be going slow enough to have time to avoid things like guys riding the lines, etc. But I've heard some stories about people spitting out windows, opening doors, hitting their windshield spray, and so on. You'd definitely have to be on guard.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Yes, it is only supposed to be done at low speeds or when trafic is stopped. I never saw anything about speed restrictions, but the majority of people I talked to about it seemed to think lane splitters were supposed to only go between 5-10 mph faster than traffic was currently moving, and that once traffic got up to roughly 30 mph or so it was time to stop. Again, I never saw any of this documented anywhere, it was more a rule of thumb I guess.

As far as lane changes and such if you did it at the proper time it wasn't an issue. Cars can't change lanes when there is nowhere for them to go. Most people were nice and let riders through, but there were some who would hug the line and try to block your path. They were easily handled by just moving over a lane and then back to the left (splitting typically only goes on in the left lane). Others would throw cigarette butts at you, or turn their windshield washer nozzles outward and try to spray you, etc. Usually I just blew them off as they were just mad that I'd be home in 10 minutes while they'd be on the road 2 hours later, but there were a few of them who went home needing bodywork on their cars.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Usually I just blew them off as they were just mad that I'd be home in 10 minutes while they'd be on the road 2 hours later, but there were a few of them who went home needing bodywork on their cars.
Remind me not to piss you off. :D

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
there were a few of them who went home needing bodywork on their cars.
I almost had to do the same thing Saturday when I was on my way home on the interstate and a Blazer started to move over into my lane(without signaling, of course, they couldn't remove the cell phone from their head). Luckily I was on the Gixxer, so a quick rev was loud enough to let them know I was there. Otherwise, there would have been a nice dent in the driver's door.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts