Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm thinking about getting rid of my car. it's a 2001 Honda Civic EX. I just switch jobs, and now have a 10-20 min commute via public transportation to work. i live in the middle of Boston, MA so pretty much everything i could want is excessible by bus/subway/etc. if i do this, my only source of personal transportation will be my bike. that makes me a little nervous. however, paying off a loan and car insurance on a vehicle i'm not using makes me a little nervous, too. then there is the whole winter thing to consider.

so i'm curious to know...how may other people on here *only* have a bike? what is good/bad about that being your only source of transportation? should i keep the car? i'm curious to get some insight from others before i take the plunge...

-chr|s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
When I lived in the cities with public tansit I only had an old truck & a trailer to haul my comp bikes to the events. Otherwise it was m/cing to & from work or lord knows where in the fun sense----public transit in so many cases like raining days, winter days, cold weather. I held two jobs being salesman at a mens clothing salesman yet also parner of a m/c shop.

Do not know if that makes sense to you, but to me, at the time, I was quite happy & no money owing on anything other then our m/c shop or when in another city the money was being saved & still used the handy & reliable public transit system.

Wish it was here, but this is farming terrain & small town so very different no such thing as public transit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
chris

i find the T to be a good way to get around when i'm in the "big city" and i know you'll appreciate not havig to fight for parking in the winter. however what if you need to leave the city in January? just something to think about.

i don't know if you owe any money on the car but if you do, you could always buy a winter beater incase you need to have a car for any reason at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Keep in mind that when you do your grocery shopping you are limited only to what you can carry. If you can deal with that you won't have any problems. This is from a native NYer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
If you live in boston, you're going to have to deal with some harsh winter. Get a beater 4x4 to take around in the winter, and general shopping. You wont care what happens to it, and it will be cheap as hell to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
I agree on the beater. For in my area where a cage is needed mine (no public Transit) is a '91 Mazda 4X4 that I need come winter time due to the snow/ice, my grocery shopping, to & from the gun range with its terribly steep & twisty road ------ rather then a good car & at its age, most are not interested in stealing it YET it is locked each time I step out of it even in my farming community. Latter being a city habit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Guy that works with me and his girlfriend have only bicycles by choice. They ride to work and all around Seattle as they need to. When they want to head out of town, they rent a car for a weekend. Granted, our winters are pretty wimpy in town, but if you add up what you spend on insurance to keep a car for that occasional trip, you could rent cars/trucks a few times a year for same money.

Seattle also has a FlexCar program. It looks pretty sweet. You might check into that as well if there is a local program for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
Chris,
I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I currently live in Brooklyn, take the train or cab to Manhattan for work everyday, and I'm making car payments and insurance payments for a car I use infrequently. It's nice, having the car when I need it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the enormous expense when it would be much much cheaper to rent a car on the odd occassion I need one.

I'm now considering moving into Manhattan, which means that I'd either have to leave the car in Brooklyn and travel to BK whenever I needed my car or I could pay $300+ per month for a parking space in Manhattan. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I think I'm gonna be getting rid of the car ASAP. Unfortunately, my lease doesn't expire until January '05 and I don't know if getting out of it early will screw my credit, but at this point, I'm wondering if it would be much cheaper to just get rid of it. :dunno: Anybody have any experience/advice on getting out of a car lease early?

Again, like you, the bike would be my only means of transportation if I got rid of the cage, but you and I are fortunate to live in such big cities that there is more than ample mass/public transit if the bike isn't suitable. Even if my city is home to the best baseball team of all time! :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
slaintedan said:
Even if my city is home to the best baseball team of all time! :twofinger
yeah, just ask the Marlins. :laughing: :twofinger
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
slaintedan said:
I'm now considering moving into Manhattan, which means that I'd either have to leave the car in Brooklyn and travel to BK whenever I needed my car or I could pay $300+ per month for a parking space in Manhattan. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I think I'm gonna be getting rid of the car ASAP. Unfortunately, my lease doesn't expire until January '05 and I don't know if getting out of it early will screw my credit, but at this point, I'm wondering if it would be much cheaper to just get rid of it. :dunno: Anybody have any experience/advice on getting out of a car lease early?
We thought about getting out of our lease and even talked to the dealership a few times. They were very helpful and more than willing to let us out of the lease....as soon as we paid off the remaining balance. In other words, they gave us a big :finger:.

About the only way to do it would be sell it yourself for the amount you owe on your lease if you can. If you're upside-down on your lease, you may have to eat some of the cost. Then you just need to decide if losing some money quickly is worth not losing a bunch slowly by paying for an unused car.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that leasing a car is a horrible idea unless you own a business and can write off the depreciation. Yet another hard lesson learned....I'll have to file that one right behind "Don't Ever Buy A Buell"....but that's a whole other story. :)

Sorry about the :topic:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
spicersh said:
We thought about getting out of our lease and even talked to the dealership a few times. They were very helpful and more than willing to let us out of the lease....as soon as we paid off the remaining balance. In other words, they gave us a big :finger:.

About the only way to do it would be sell it yourself for the amount you owe on your lease if you can. If you're upside-down on your lease, you may have to eat some of the cost. Then you just need to decide if losing some money quickly is worth not losing a bunch slowly by paying for an unused car.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that leasing a car is a horrible idea unless you own a business and can write off the depreciation. Yet another hard lesson learned....I'll have to file that one right behind "Don't Ever Buy A Buell"....but that's a whole other story. :)

Sorry about the :topic:

Your story is consistent w/ what everybody else has told me. I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up for the next 9 months until the lease is up. Ugh! :mad: :(

Back on topic... Having grown up in the 'burbs and always having a car I can't imagine myself not owning a car. It's a bit disorienting, but I think that I'd get used to it... I hope. :eek: :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
When I was living in Winnipeg, Manitoba Cdn. Even the city transit system did not go 8 miles out of city limits. Still with two other shooters & I would agree to meet one of them at a certain point & yes I paid for some of the fuel along with helping on do some work to his cage.

Funny thing is I was on this city bus a number of times & this one big chap was eyeing me with a soft gun case under my arm. Finally one time he asked, told him what it was, he explained he was a plain clothes cop & I showed him the High Standard .22.

A month or two later I have this small rucksack so he asks what I have & say the .22 & this time a S&W Model 15 38 spl in soft bags plus my reloads. Now he was really interested, looking at my revolver then showed me his, once he emptied the cylinder, & my reloads. A few weeks later he sits down beside me & gives me double thick paper bag of two boxes of their training ammo & some 300 one shot pieces of 38Spl brass.

Now adays that could not be done due to so many bills, but the police would still be as keen on what we, as civies have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even if my city is home to the best baseball team of all time!

oh no, you *didn't* just go there. *despite* being born and bred in Boston, and being a huge sox fan, i'll have to agree with you. but, it's hard *not* to be the best when you got the biggest f-ing budget in the world. the yankees suck, but they will always be better than boston.

anyway, back to the cage. it's going away tommorow. for good. i sold it. now i feel kinda disorientated, becuase it it's the first time in like 10 years that i havn't had a car (back to when i was 16). oh, the grocery store is also 1 block away :)


and then there is the other implication of getting rid of my car.
the BIG implication.

i'm now going to have about 8k in my pocket. which means i can finally retire my 1979 Honda CB750K for a brand new 2004 600cc bike. heh. i'm considering a 2004 R6 (red/blk), 600RR (red/blk), or GSX (black).

so gimme some feedback, what do i want? my housemate has a 2004 blue R6 that i've driven a bunch. it's soooo much fun. i'm kinda leaning toward that bike. the 600RR finish is amazing, has better ergo's, but i don't like the x-tra weight, and the R6 dashboard looks waaaay cooler. plus, my 3 previous bikes (50cc, 250cc, 750cc) have been Honda's. Thier quality has been amazing, but i kinda wanna try something else. the GSX looks all bad-ass, but *everyone* around here has a GSX (i mean EVERYONE). i'd love to take the RR and the GSX out for a test-drive, but that ain't never gonna happen. *cry*

so sometime in the next week or so, i'm gonna get my first sportbike! i assume that it is going to be the second best decision i've ever made (the first being the decisoion to NOT get a sport bike for my first street ride...thanks to smitty, hammer, and countless others). now i just have to figure which friggin bike i want. somebody help!


-chr|s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
oh no, you *didn't* just go there. *despite* being born and bred in Boston, and being a huge sox fan, i'll have to agree with you. but, it's hard *not* to be the best when you got the biggest f-ing budget in the world. the yankees suck, but they will always be better than boston....so gimme some feedback...
i'll give you some feedback you #@&*#*#*@! BOSTON will ALWAYS be the better team. why? for one main reason. CLASS, WE HAVE CLASS! really, who bullys a grounds keeper for cheering on his own team. :wtf:

and what about the fans? HEY, ED HILLEL, YOU OUT THERE SOMEWHERE? :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Only got my bike since 14years old :cool:

And if the weather wasn't so bad in my countryn I would continue, but a R1 on the snow it's not really a pleasure :(

After it depend if you need a car for your child, or or shopping because a TV and the rear of a bike it's not easy, fun bot not easy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
The R6 would get my vote. I loved my Gixxer (Totalled by vandalism :finger: ) and I absolutely love the replacement CBR600F4 I have. They are two completely different animals. I would have loved to get a newer 600, but just couldn't pass up the deal on the F4. I love R6's. I have ridden a few and they are just very well put together. I haven't ridden a 600RR, but it's to my understanding the R6 is more comfortable. It all comes down to subjectivity. Whichever one feels best to you, buy it. These bikes are all so close together in performance, it really just comes down to personal taste! :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
monkey said:
i'll give you some feedback you #@&*#*#*@! BOSTON will ALWAYS be the better team. why? for one main reason. CLASS, WE HAVE CLASS! really, who bullys a grounds keeper for cheering on his own team. :wtf: ...

I forgot, who won that fight, that series? :twofinger

I'm an evolved male so I'm not gonna tease you for crying like a bitch, but I will kindly ask you to keep it off the boards, it depresses me. Thanks, princess! :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
InsaneWheelie said:
The R6 would get my vote. I loved my Gixxer (Totalled by vandalism :finger: ) and I absolutely love the replacement CBR600F4 I have. They are two completely different animals. I would have loved to get a newer 600, but just couldn't pass up the deal on the F4. I love R6's. I have ridden a few and they are just very well put together. I haven't ridden a 600RR, but it's to my understanding the R6 is more comfortable. It all comes down to subjectivity. Whichever one feels best to you, buy it. These bikes are all so close together in performance, it really just comes down to personal taste! :2cents:

ugh. sorry to hear about the gixx. what happened?

-chr|s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Well- I lived in an apartment complex where each unit had one covered space. My covered space was on the other side of the complex where couldn't see it from my apartment. I had my Gixx parked there for a couple of days, and the next time I went to ride it, it was on the ground beaten to shit. Looked like someone went to town with a crowbar/baseball bat or something or other. I am thinking ti was a deranged ex of mine or one of her friends. Kind of weird, cause no one heard anything. It's all good now, though. I moved. :thumb:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top