Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent my time over the weekend at The Dragon and Deal's Gap in NC/Tenn. Wow! It was myself, a guy I work with, and one of his friends. Tore up the twisties which was an amazing experience since we don't have roads like US 129 in FL/GA.

We all learned a lot and did some killing of our chicken strips. I specifically learned quite a bit on my technique. Realized where I need to fix certain things on my cornering. Picked up some shirts and goodies from Deal's Gap as well. But above all, we all rode hard and safe. All 3 of us came back fine.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Every time I see a thread about this I get jealous, I've yet to go there. This year could be the one, I hope. Glad you got to ride it and none of you had to make a contribution to the tree of shame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem. I lived in MS and was riding 8 hours to get there so I just moved to Maryville at the foot of the dragon. :laughing: Been here a year bikeless though. Time to remedy that.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddies and I were talking about going up there annually around April/May. This year is done, but maybe next year some other folks can plan to be that way and we can all meet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nice.. i love those roads down there - cherahola, blood mountain, devil's triangle and of course the obvious - the dragon.. how was the law enforcement presence? i heard they have been stepping up their patrols of the dragon in Tennessee.

i went there for the first time last year and it was awesome.. want to go back this year but i am torn - 7 days at the dragon and maybe 1-2 trackdays or 6-8 trackdays and no dragon.. maybe i need to ebay a kidney and just do 7 days at the dragon and 10-12 trackdays.. i did hear putnam does $40 trackdays though...

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
i did hear putnam does $40 trackdays though...
:topic: I've been scouring the 'net for trackdays that are close and inexpensive but I haven't seen any near that price level. If you have a link, please share it in PM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice.. i love those roads down there - cherahola, blood mountain, devil's triangle and of course the obvious - the dragon.. how was the law enforcement presence? i heard they have been stepping up their patrols of the dragon in Tennessee.
There were quite a few LEOs in the area. We actually got pics of us on the trunk of one of their cars with the lights on and our hands behind our backs. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I take it that was just a photo op with a cooperative officer, or is there a story you should be sharing with us?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it that was just a photo op with a cooperative officer, or is there a story you should be sharing with us?
It was a photo op. He had someone pulled over near us(was a cage) when we were taking some photos. Two of us were military so if we did get arrested, we'd be in some shit. We asked the cop afterwards if he got the request often and he said yea. heh

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
:topic: I've been scouring the 'net for trackdays that are close and inexpensive but I haven't seen any near that price level. If you have a link, please share it in PM.
And feel free to forward that info to me if you don't mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah the cop presence is definitely greater lately. There was a big deal about it last year in the local news. Higher than average death toll due to the increased amount of complete idiots coming to the gap caught some state attention. They went so far as to hire more law enforcement just for the dragon if I remember right. Sadly I refuse to even ride up there on the weekends now. As the road gained popularity it's become a circus up there some weekends. Luckily being a local now I can ride up there during the week and not have to put up with the traffic and less chance of joe squid meeting me on my side of the double yellow. So if/when you do come I would suggest making it a trip mid week if you can, it's worth the couple days with less traffic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah the cop presence is definitely greater lately. There was a big deal about it last year in the local news. Higher than average death toll due to the increased amount of complete idiots coming to the gap caught some state attention. They went so far as to hire more law enforcement just for the dragon if I remember right. Sadly I refuse to even ride up there on the weekends now. As the road gained popularity it's become a circus up there some weekends. Luckily being a local now I can ride up there during the week and not have to put up with the traffic and less chance of joe squid meeting me on my side of the double yellow. So if/when you do come I would suggest making it a trip mid week if you can, it's worth the couple days with less traffic.
yeah on www.tailofthedragon.com they said Tennessee issued $200,000 for overtime just to patrol the Dragon. When we go down there we don't ride the Dragon on the weekends ever.

I am working on the $40 Putnam days - getting closer to revealing the mystery - seems like a tight knit closed mouth deal.. I am going to find out though and get down there for some cheap dirty track time..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts