Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes read about it being used negatively, and sometimes it seems like it's a positive term? :confused:
There's even people who call themselves that and some people "wannabesquids" What gives? Please educate me :rolleyes:

Krazx9r

:D:Later

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
To summarize: SQUID is always a bad term unless you enjoy being ridiculed by those with REAL riding talent. It is only positive when you're hungry and you like calamari, speaking of which...that s--t's disgusting! :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
A squid is someone who doesn't know how to ride properly, but thinks he's a great rider. I used the masculine pronoun on purpose. Female squids are rare.

You can easily identify squids. They're the ones bragging about how fast they are. On the road, they charge into a corner, stand on the brakes, tiptoe around the corner, then blast out at full throttle. When they fall it they always have an excuse. It is never their own fault, at least not in their little squid brains.

Squids often purchase accessories for their bikes to make them go faster or handle better. Steering dampers are a favorite squid add-on. Their riding style and lack of talent produces wobbles over every little bump, so they buy steering dampers to mask their mistakes. If their bikes slide, it is because they need sticky race tires for the street, not because their poor technique caused the slide. If someone on a smaller bike outruns them, they claim their bike isn't running properly because they haven't dialed in the jetting since installing a race pipe.

You will never see a squid on a race track for a school or a track day. Squids are in denial about their own lack of ability. You'll hear squids make all kinds of excuses for not getting on a track, but the truth is they cannot admit someone else is a better rider. They're the kings of the roads, and getting on a track would be too humbling for them, so they avoid tracks.

Lastly, squids often ride without proper protective gear. After all, they're too good to crash. That only happens to lesser riders.

The sad part is that riding a motorcycle safely requires an honest assessment of your limits, and squids consistently ride beyound their limits. I know this because I used to be a squid. I'm lucky I survived long enough to hook up with some really good riders and learn a bit of humility and technique before it was too late.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I am a squid - but the difference is I can take corners too. Don't really know how I am still alive after doing this for about 10 years. I took the gradual squid route. As I got more comfortable with my abilities and my machine(s) I started pushing a little more each time.

Personally I think that there is a time and place for all kinds of riding. Even with track time there is no opportunity to practice wheelies or endos or anything other that simply going fast as hell. Don't take me wrong - track time is fantastic but if you want to learn how to do crazy shit you need to find a place to practice.

So in summary I think that the epitomy of a squid is someone who rides over their head as previously stated but isn't necessarily everyone who does wheelies as much as it is everyone who wants to wheelie before they can corner with consitent lines and before they have built predictable riding patterns.

My 2 cents.

G

·
krazx9r said:
I sometimes read about it being used negatively, and sometimes it seems like it's a positive term? :confused:
There's even people who call themselves that and some people "wannabesquids" What gives? Please educate me :rolleyes:

Krazx9r

:D:Later

Who would ever wanna call themselves a "wannabesquid"?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... LOSERS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seriously....

I chose "DaytonaSquid" as my username because I realize that I DO have limitations as a rider. I am back riding a high-performance bike (ZX-6R) after being away from riding many, many years. Squid for me means I'm back on a learning curve to become a better rider and I aspire (Daytona) to become a safe, faster rider! I'm happy to be a "tail-end Charlie" in my riding group...for now. And, I actually did get out on a track the other day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh is that why they call me a squid ?

Just because I wipe out in front of my house and i corner like a 1970's caddillac doesnt make me a squid does it?? Actually its a good thing my friends dont know the term "Squid" cause they would change my nick name from Iceman to Squid in a second. please dont tell them about it ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts