Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last summer a friend of mine & i were headed to a favorite road. the interstate was unusually busy & we were lane splitting. he wasnt the most curtious or brightest of people & liked to make his bike back fire inbtwn cars (to scare em of course). i would stay a distance behind him because i didnt want to get hit & i deffinatly didnt condone it.

it caught up to him. some guy w/a ratty station wagon swirved to hit him. almost did. & not just once. several times (he said the car did touch him once.. i didnt see it though). when he got out in front the guy tried to smash him from behind.

i dont know if i would have had a legal right to do so.. but if i had had a gun i would have emptied the mag.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Rug Burn said:
...In this case you have two darwin contestants battling it out...
Stop it, Clark...yer killin' me!

This one time, I was lane splittin', and an 82 year old grandmother of 14 accidently swerved into my lane. Even though it was unintentional, it really pissed me off. So, when we got to the next intersection, the light was red, and I pulled-out ma' nine and capped dat bitches ass!

·
Registered
698 Posts
SpeedPhreak said:
some guy w/a ratty station wagon swirved to hit him. almost did. & not just once. several times (he said the car did touch him once.. i didnt see it though). when he got out in front the guy tried to smash him from behind.

i dont know if i would have had a legal right to do so.. but if i had had a gun i would have emptied the mag.
I don't know. This sounds like a very questionable use of deadly force. I mean, being in a motorcycle and splitting lanes, your friend was in a great position to run away easily. Only when you're cornered and have no other alternative to save your life should deadly force be used. I know this isn't always clear cut but this is the way courts see it. The law does NOT see in grey. It's either right or wrong, nothing in between. Judging by your account of the story, your friend should have run away and ended the confrontation. If you had a gun at that time(even if you were the one being run down by that station wagon), and emptied the mag as you said, you would have gone to jail because you had a way out and you didn't take it. Instead, you killed the driver(theoretically of course) by emptying the mag. And by emptying the magazine, the law will look at it as a malicious act with intention of killing(not defending your life). Believe it or not, criminal jurors and district attorney's believe that one shot is all you need. Anything beyond is intention to kill not defend. Being an NRA member, I've read many cases of self-defense shootings that have gone to court and turned ugly. The most common tragedy is not the fact that someone died, but the fact that the victim can easily be turned into a "murderer" by district attorney's/prosecutors simply because they shot more than once or the self-defense issue was in doubt. A bit of doubt is all you need to turn jurors against you. Sorry for the lecture.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I'm no expert here but I believe you would be facing a tough battle in court. I agree with the idea that you must use every means available before using deadly force. The jury is going to think that a motorcycle rider had plenty of ability to get away.

We had a situation here in TN and NC at Deal's Gap last summer that is not much different. The motorcyclists were arrested and the truck driver that swerved at them was not arrested although the police did say there were possible future charges against the truck driver. They haven't finished that up yet. If you are interested a search on this forum will probably pull it up. Some of the members may actually remember where it is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You guys are of course quite right. If he had pulled out a gun and shot the guy in the station wagon, he would have, almost undeniably, been convicted. There was too much opportunity to get out of the situation peacefully, not to mention that he was not even a part of the altercation. Too many variables in that situation. Please don't take my previous post seriously, that is certainly not how really feel about the situation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FunkeeMunkee I must say u said it the best .

Short but true and to the point. 250-1300cc's can burn all station wagons and most cars. Havin a gun on a bike should only be used when own life is n danger or when gettin jacked. Not because sombody cut u off or somthin.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:

I don't know. This sounds like a very questionable use of deadly force.

Believe it or not, criminal jurors and district attorney's believe that one shot is all you need. Anything beyond is intention to kill not defend.

A bit of doubt is all you need to turn jurors against you. Sorry for the lecture.
I hear ya bro. If you only get one shot make it count. I prefer a short barrelled shot gun for my home security. When on the bike, I prefer to use the ole' knuckles... tends to attract less attention, and generally you won't get shot unless you've got a gun too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swoop u must not have read correctly.. he wasnt cut off the grocery getter was intentionally swirving at him.

i was a little exagerated by saying id empty the clip.. i am aware of the more shots shows malicious intent point of view. before i got my gun i researched a lot about laws involving shooting in self defense. in colorado your own life doesnt have to be in danger.. it could be yours or someone elses. my friends life was in danger. true he could have got away (& did) but he was in immediate danger of losing his life for a period of time.

im aware of the truck incedint at deals gap.. i think the biker was arrested becuase it was pre-meditated & not in defense. if i remember correctly he went back to the hotel to get his gun then went looking for the truck. the driver of the truck should also be charged in my opinion... but the biker was also at fault, obviously.

rogue.. actually ive read that 1 shot can get u in trouble too.. it shows u wanted to maim.. a double tap shows u were stopping the attack & 3+ shows u were an out of controll lunatic. but i only read that in a single article & not real sure about how much truth is in it.

P

·
0 Posts
SpeedPhreak said:

rogue.. actually ive read that 1 shot can get u in trouble too.. it shows u wanted to maim.. a double tap shows u were stopping the attack & 3+ shows u were an out of controll lunatic. but i only read that in a single article & not real sure about how much truth is in it.
No matter your intent, or how many shots fired, you ALWAYS say you were shooting to STOP the threat. Nothing more, nothing less, just shooting to STOP the threat. S-T-O-P!!! Got it! Good.

BTW, Speed, you were right the first time, it's a magazine, not a "clip." Clips are pieces of grooved steel designed to hold rifle ammo together at the case head for ease of loading, as in, but not limited to, stripper clips used for loading an AK47 . (That was for Swoop, he likes it when I pick nits.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
748_abuser said:

Stop it, Clark...yer killin' me!

This one time, I was lane splittin', and an 82 year old grandmother of 14 accidently swerved into my lane. Even though it was unintentional, it really pissed me off. So, when we got to the next intersection, the light was red, and I pulled-out ma' nine and capped dat bitches ass!

748_abuser, I do believe you are kidding, but I also feel that a statement like that isn't appropriate on this forum, simply due to the fact that there could be many impressionable youths reading such. To make it seem that capping a grandma is justified retaliation is irresponsible. Not trying to stir an argument, but my opinion stands.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
tech32 said:
748_abuser, I do believe you are kidding, but I also feel that a statement like that isn't appropriate on this forum, simply due to the fact that there could be many impressionable youths reading such. To make it seem that capping a grandma is justified retaliation is irresponsible. Not trying to stir an argument, but my opinion stands.
And your opinion, Thomas, doesn't mean shit to me. What are you thinking? This whole thread is about when a person can, or can't, shoot somebody. And you feel that my sarcasm is out of line? "Impressionable youth." Are you serious? Our youth hear about guns and violence on a daily basis. Unless of course the school shootings are nothing more than a fabrication by the media to instill fear amongst the parents of this nation.

So you feel that if an "impressionable youth," were to see my post, and one day was out in traffic and is "cut-off" by Grandma, that he would reflect back upon the day he read my post on SportbikeWorld, pull out his gun, and cap the bitch? That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard! If that were to happen, I think the kid probably has a few issues that need to be resolved. Not only that, but his parents probably deserve some lead in their melons too.

Youth, violence and guns. BIG topic, Thomas. I'd love to delve deeper on this subject, but I'm certain it would fill many pages.

As for being "irresponsible?" No way, and I will continue to post in the same manner when a thread, such as this, appears in the forums.

Makes me want to give away handguns at traffic lights. That would cure all the problems with 80 year old Grandma's driving in rush-hour traffic.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
"Makes me want to give away handguns at traffic lights. That would cure all the problems with 80 year old Grandma's driving in rush-hour traffic."

Seriously LMAO. Now that's some funny sh!t. Thomas, the only people responsible for that impressionable youth are his ****ing parents; not a bunch of slackers on SBW.

S

·
0 Posts
Like my crazy uncle Ernie used to say ... "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" ... unfortunately uncle Ernie is now serving 198 life sentances ...

·
Registered
296 Posts
So, I guess if any of you ever cut someone off, by accident, just did not see them in your blindspot because you were looking at the scantily clad chick in the mall parking lot, and came close to causing a wreck, but did not mean it, then the person you just cut off should have every reason to "cap his ass"??? People make mistakes, it happens to us all. Some people need to realize this and not be so gun happy. I know that it takes a BIG man to cap a grandma, so we should all look for the opportunity.

"Hey, she's slowing me down! Cap her!"
Guns are for protection, not retaliation. To shoot someone for attempting to scare you by swerving is not necessary. A bike can get away. And lane splitting along with causing backfires is just asking for trouble.
Idiots on both sides of the line.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rug Burn said:
"Makes me want to give away handguns at traffic lights. That would cure all the problems with 80 year old Grandma's driving in rush-hour traffic."

Seriously LMAO. Now that's some funny sh!t. Thomas, the only people responsible for that impressionable youth are his ****ing parents; not a bunch of slackers on SBW.

I believe that children learn most of their crap from other people and other places, rather than the home and the parents. The parents just allow it to happen.
So if we set forth bad influence in our society, then we contribute to its corruption, nowingly or not.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
tech32 said:

I believe that children learn most of their crap from other people and other places, rather than the home and the parents. The parents just allow it to happen.
So if we set forth bad influence in our society, then we contribute to its corruption, nowingly or not.
If you as a parent don't have the time or desire to sit down with your child and teach them right from wrong and basic values; then don't blame me/society when theygo into a school and blow 15 people away. It is NOT society's job to instill values to your child. Parents these days just sit their kids in front of a TV and expect them to turn out OK. Or better yet, they bitch about what's on TV not being suitable for that task. What this country needs is a big ****ing clue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts