Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you know about a ticket that I avoided Saturday. My bro and I were riding through the mountains of San Diego county and ran into some heavy traffic nothing unexpected especially for Julian. We pass and passing safely is our game, but you can probably guess what happened next. When I passed on a double-yellow line road, a county sheriff just made a turn going in the opposite direction! Damn damn damn, were my first thoughts (actually more like _uck, _uck, _uck). Anyways, I thought 1st: run! 2nd: hide and 3rd pull over. Well, my bro egg'd me on as if we could run, but I waived a "NO" sign to him. It only took about 2 minutes for the Ford Expedition to turn around and another 2 to catch up with us. First thing the cop said was, "First let me say, thank you for pulling over." "Not too many of you pull over especially with these young military guys." No offense to you jar heads:D . Anyways, I said in my defense, "I did not cross the double yellow." The cop insisted I did, then my brother got in on the action, "The lady let me by. That's the only reason I passed. You didn't see the car in front of us move to the side?" I told the cop I shared the lane and that the car in front moved to the side to let me by (sharing lanes safely or lane splitting is legal in California: actually the cop and I agreed on this). He still maintained that I crossed the double yellow. Well, my bro and I actually talked with the cop long enough that he let me off. He actually admitted to saying, "we are dealing with a gray area." The gray area was far did I go over the yellow double, IF I did? Other key words I mentioned to him were: experienced rider, safe rider, & motorcycle club member. With my insurance, license, and registration in order, he said, "the only reason I am letting you go is because you didn't run. Be safe!" I guess this situation could have turned out worse or that this was a 50/50 chance situation, but remember don't panic when a cop catches you in the wrong! Although chances aren't good, be calm and collective and you might just ride away without a ticket. Had the guy been a state officer, I think things would have turned out a lot different.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Man i think thats one of those times where alot of us would have been long gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GOOD vs. BAD

That is what I am hearing from a lot of friends. Like one friend says, "Cause if I had been there with you guys, all he would have seen would have been the smoke from my valve guides!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't run!

If you do you are taking a chance on turning a minor traffic citation into a MAJOR *uck-up. Say you stop and get a ticket for passing over the double yellow, a moving violation. Whats the penalty? A fine, maybe a c-note, and a point on your license? Big deal. And you may get lucky and NOT get a ticket at all.
If you run there are a few possibilities. One, you crash and take out your bike, maybe yourself, maybe someone else as well. Another might be that you eventually get caught. You'll probably go to jail for felony evading, reckless driving, speeding AND passing over the double yellow. Or maybe you get lucky and get away. Worth the risk? IMHO, no. :cool:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Tippmann said:
Man i think thats one of those times where alot of us would have been long gone.
well he "only" had an f4i what did you want him to do :twofinger
haha no no i am just kidding honda for life, good thing u stopped cops get a bad rap sometimes, i mean when i started the academy some of my friends thougt it was great and some just never talked to me anymore, so whatever

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good call correrdorF4i...

Green01SprintST put up many good thoughts. My biggest point is Felony Evasion. 50 bucks vs. felony. Not even a choice, especially since it was not like a 140 in a 50, lose your license type of situation.

Real quick... after an incident involving too many drinks, my buddy were confronted by the street walking cops. I kept level head, and talked it out.. my buddy just blurted out nonsense. Unfortunately I had to go pick him up from jail in the AM. You CAN talk to cops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts