Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that textiles are much cheaper than leather jackets. What are the pros n cons to both kinds? which would be better for a beginner?

·
Registered
675 Posts
leather protects better and still can be used after a good digger... but if it gets too hot and your considering riding without it, textile is better because you will have it on, they are usually a once and done deal, they don't withstand road slides well!

Get one your comfortable wearing, w/armor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as I've read, "sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt." right now it doesn't get over 90 around here, it's actually low 80s now. so leather would be first choice then? what brand/type is the best in terms of price and quality?

·
Registered
675 Posts
depends on what you want... I like the pircy stuff but you can even find used on some sites... budget plays a big part.

Personally I love alpinestar stuff but that's just my taste.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
To get back the orignal ?....note: that textile will Melt if you slide long enough....it will melt right to your skin...Not Good.

As far as lid's are concerned, DOT / Snell aproved..FULL FACE...note, that you usually get what you pay for, i.e. the cheap lids are just that..Cheap, they don't fit well,,in most cases..which can lead to injuries..also the pading isn't the best, and will compact after a couple months...they are usually pretty noisey ..and the visors leave something to be desired.

Good helmets...Top of the line HJC, Arai, Shoie, Shark, OKG, Sumoy..it's pretty tough to go wrong with any of these...prices start at about 270.00 up to over 600.00 If you get one with graphics..Also, make sure wherever you buy it, that there's someone Trained in Helmet fitment, cuzz if it don't fit properly, it ain't gonna protect ya properly..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the helmets that have the whole front lift up (rather than just the visor, i.e. Nolan 100, HJC symax), anything good/bad about those? I'd worry about it flipping up in a spill, doesnt sound like much fun to me...but they look pretty cool/unique:confused:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
zpyro said:
the helmets that have the whole front lift up (rather than just the visor, i.e. Nolan 100, HJC symax), anything good/bad about those? I'd worry about it flipping up in a spill, doesnt sound like much fun to me...but they look pretty cool/unique:confused:
It's my understanding that those helmets aren't as strong as full-face helmets with a flip-up visor.

The term "jaw-breaker" has been thrown around in the past...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Arai full face helmets. Try them on. If they fit, go with them. More expensive but worth every penny.

The flip top helmets will be noisier. You can get info on them by researching Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News archives. I subscribe to both magazines, but don't have the dates, but both have tested flip up full face helmets, I think it was Rider that tested them a few months ago. More noise, but they can be nice if you cruise in an upright position, as on a standard or cruiser or touring bike.

Dainese and Alpinstars make jackets that are pretty nice textile units. Dainese has one or two that are both textile and leather. However, they cost as much or almost as much as a good leather jacket. Vanson makes probably the best domestically available leather clothing, and worldwide they are among the best. Their product selection is much larger and diverse than any other manufacturer, anywhere.

If you can only buy one jacket right now, I would buy a good leather jacket that has room inside for extra clothing and it has zippered slash pockets on the outside, one or two pockets on the inside, a zip out quilt lining, shoulder and arm armor and back protector (or lining that takes a protector), front vents (zip or perforated or fabric panel), and rear exhaust (at least at the back of the shoulders). Some here will argue the snug fit "sportbike" jacket, but practically speaking, they are not very practical as an all around jacket because they cannot tolerate much clothing underneath, don't have removable liners, and have few if any pockets. Good as an additional jacket but not in my opinion as a "one and only" bike jacket if you ride a lot under various conditions. :2cents:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for all the advice guys, i really appreciate it

i've heard before that water ruins leather. is that only some kinds of leather or is it just a wive's tale?

·
Registered
675 Posts
good quality leather, that is maintained with a good conditioner will last for ever... think about snowmobile suits the warmest ones are leather and they get wet ofter, mine gets drenched on ocassion and it is fine with yearly TLC.

·
Registered
675 Posts
as for modular helmets or "flip up's" If you get a high quality helmet they will have a solid locking function and will hold up fine look for DOT approved or better. You get what you pay for......

If you like the flip up style I would recommend the KBC FFR.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I travel on my bikes. I also live in a wet part of the country. Getting wet happens here. I always carry rain gear if there is any chance of encountering rain or cold air. My leather apparel has been wet, a few times soaked. Sometimes you are on a stretch of highway and a storm hits and you cannot pull off to put on your rain gear. Leather dries out on its own just fine and there are no ill effects. But I don't buy cheap stuff, so I am sure that has something to do with it. Just remember to properly maintain it like previously mentioned.

My leather boots, which are custom made by Bates (I have a EE forefoot and a B heel), have been soaked a number of times, no ill effects. My AGV boots I used when I was racing, were soaked so much I poured water out of them (wet day at the track). No ill effects.

Hope this helps answer your question about water and leather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts