Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking if we can't have a terms forum i'll just start a thread and then when someone says something like "what's a burnout?" we can look annoyed and say "search for terms" and continue on our high and mighty way.

and now to reveal my own ineptitude....

what is a "tank slapper"?
other then the obvious gas tank slapping you in the chest, how do you cause it and how do you recover from it?
having heard of many an accident involving this and resulting in life support i would surely like to avoid it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tank Slapper

A "tank slapper" usually means when you are riding along and your clip ons wiggle side to side really hard either from riding hard and you hit a bump or some other situation. Steering dampers usually eliminate these from happening.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tank Slapp-er {tangk slap-pur}n. rapid, violent back and forth oscillation of the front wheel of a motorcycle which causes the handlebars to travel from lock to lock uncontrollably. Usually caused by an upset of the lateral gyroscopic stability of the wheel followed by an inability of the front wheel to stabilize itself, and nearly always occurring when the front wheel is under heavy, sudden acceleration, such as from landing a crossed up wheelie. See also, related items: headshake, bad wreck, and Holy Shit! I'm gonna die!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, you can save it sometimes. Some people advocate more throttle, but if you are in a real tank slapper, it's almost impossible to hang on to the bars, much less twist the throttle. Don't brake, don't try to keep a death grip on the bars, just try to ride it out. Sometimes as you gradually decellerate, the front end will stabilize of it's own accord. If not..see above post. I know a guy that got into this after landing a wheelie at probably 120 mph and left S-shaped black marks down the pavement for 140 ft (measured), and saved it. He tried accellerating, but it just got worse. When he let off and relaxed, it stabilized, That was on a Suzuki Bandit 1200. (Not stock by any means.)

The best thing is to avoid situations that cause tank slappers and put a steering stabilizer on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
By the way, Ducatidrms,
It's really neither...dampner isn't word that I'm aware of and dampener would be something that made it slightly wet. It's really damper. Or, stabilizer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Griff!!! Whazzup? You should see Matt's Bandit now...that thing kicks ass.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Geez, didn't we just go through this not too long ago?

According to Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary:

DAMP, v.t., to check, or reduce (energy, action, etc.)

DAMPEN, v.t., to deaden, lessen, or reduce

Okay, folks, there it is. Either one is correct. So get over it. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow, you've really put a damper on things around here. My brow is becoming damp with sweat, and I need something to damp the pounding in my head, a damper of some kind. Damn.

Okay, you win...

:rolleyes: :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Damn Damper Dampened my Diaper!

:) Got into a tank slapper long time ago that just didn't want to quit despite trying acceleration/deceleration. Was heading for the ditch and in desperation/fear I forceably tossed my body weight to the left. The side to side cycles of the front end eased and finally quit.

Later, thinking about it I concluded that the small amount of lean my weight shift gave the bike moved the tire contact patch from center to slightly off center. And the contact patch then had to climb up the side of the tire slightly each time it cycled from side to side. This, admittedly slowly, absorbed the energy of the tank slapper.

Try this: take a penny and stand it on edge and pretend it is the front wheel. It is very easy to turn that penny from side to side. Now lean the penny to the left and it becomes slightly harder to turn from side to side. You can feel the resistance as the penny's contact patch climbs up the edge.

Now..... are ya gonna have the time and/or presence of mind to try this at speed while yer anus attempts to ingest the bike's seat? I dunno, but it is something to remember when all else fails.

About that weight shift/bike lean thing. NO! That was NOT body steering! Body steering just does not work (see: http://www.superbikeschool.com/us/machinery/no_bs_machine.shtml). It was extreme weight shift resulting in a very small amount of bike lean.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, so that's what that's called...those suck. Got into one of those one time...scared the shit out of me. :eek:

I just held in the clutch and rode it out...it stabilized itself when it slowed down...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my fault

ok now that's twice i've sparked a debate over steering um... stuff. so that's it no more, if i have any more steering concerns i'll refer to it as "handle bar less jiggly device" or something. in fact i'm not using any more words that start with the letter "D".

this is all your fault.:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts