Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM going to begin racing next year. I currently have a CBR F4. I really WANT to buy the new GSXR600 but I think that maybe I should get my hands on an SV650. I have become one of the faster riders in the track day club I belong to but I do not know if I will really be able to compete in the 600 class. I am able to keep pace and pass many riders with 600 cc machines that have expert licenses but I really want to be able to WIN races as opposed to finishing well. I have ridden the SV and was somewhat bored with the performance. If I get an SV, what Engine mods are legal in CCS and what are most people doing to increase HP within the rules. I know what to do on the suspension and brakes and chasis, but will I have to blow a wad of cash to be competetive? Others with experiance please let me know what you think.

[Edited by cbr600f4gd on 11-13-2000 at 06:31 AM]

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I don't know diddly squat about the SV, but around here the R6's are kicking some major butt in the 600 class. But then that would kill you for the twins class.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Well there is one thing about the SV that will make you a better rider overall. And that is you must learn to keep corner speed up. If you don't I can see where you may find it to be a boring or less than spectacular ride. There is also the way twins spin up. This can lead to perception that you are not going as fast. The SV can beat much bigger bikes. As far as what can be done to the SV well get the rulebook, most racing org. have them online, and go over it. You can get higher compression pistons, (The busa pistons fit) degree the cams, jet kit and pipe. With these mods you can be in the mid 70's easily and maybe pushing 80 hp, and all this on a 390 lb. wet bike. As a final note, I was very fast at the local track days even when running with the expert racers, and thought that with my TLR I could be completive. What I found out is racing is done at another level. Those fast guys will cut you a lot of space on a track day and also don't run at full bore, but put them in a race and all bets are off. There is bumping and grinding going on and they will stuff it on the inside with out any regard to how close they will come to you. I found I had a lot to learn and have now gone back and decided to spend a year or more on the SV for that very reason. Ride a 600 if you must, but don't expect to win.

·
Registered
17 Posts
go with the sv, it will make you a better rider.it doesnt have the horespower of a 600 but it will run with one if you learn to carry corner speed which is what racing is all about. Anybody can go straight fast, the trick is to carry that speed into the corner.I race in CCS and ive seen guys race the sv in supertwins class running against rc51's,duc 996, tl-r's and finish in the top 5.. not bad for being down about 60 horse compared to the other bikes. You will have to decide whether you want to race or want to learn how to race. The sv will teach you how to race.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the best reason i can give. the sv won't need tires as often as the f4/gsxr6/r6. less money on tires=more money for the track. just my lowly, untalented .02

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
This is going to be my first season as well. CCS Southeast or Florida State region. John and I discussed this very topic a while ago. I want an SV because it will make me a better rider, and the competition is reasonable and a little more mature/older from what I have seen.
Have you seen the 600 amatuer pack leave the grid? Absolutely crazy and it doesn't end till the checkered flag is over. If I wreck cause of me thats fine but I will want to throttle the hell out of someone else if I go down cause they are acting stupid. Check http://www.ccsracing.com for all the regulations, limitations, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also, consider the Ninja/EX500 as an alternative to the SV650. Yes, it has a little less horsepower but is more economical than the SV and with very few inexpensive modifications it's pretty competitive in respective classes.

As future racer the EX is my first choice, because I want to learn how to race at my own pace.

Good luck,

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts