Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking for a cool sportbike at a reasonable price. She really likes the SV 650, but they're a little much money. I just saw an article in one of the mags about the honda 400's and it got me curious about this size bike. They seem to look cool which is all she really wants, and I don't want her to have too much power. I'm curious about their reliability, price, handling, size, insurance rates and anything at all that you can tell me. I just saw a post for a 88 FZR 400, but the price was a little steep. I live in Canada and I would rather buy one in Canada if such a beast existed to save the terrible exchange rate we have. $2000 US = $2800 Canadian and there's the whole hassle of bringing it accross the boarder. Anything you guys know would be of great help.
Cheers:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i know guys in canada get bikes we don't. but the good ole u.s. of a. didn't get a 400cc kawi sportbike in a long, long time, if ever. i can't think of one right now.

i think there's an fzr400 on ebay for $1000us. but that's not helpful now.

the only 400's i know of in the u.s. are the fzr400 (kinda rare as streetbikes), honda cb-1 and the bandit 400 (a sweet little ducati-styled bike).

if i'm not mistaken, the zx4 and cbr400rr are only sold in japan and europe. and they are both kinda pricey. i know kawi gave scott russell a zx4 for either winning daytona or the worldsuperbike championship.

400's just don't do well in the states. sorry, i can't speak for canada.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
As far as I know Kawasaki never sold the Ninja400 here in the states.

As for the FZR400 I raced one a few years back and I think even with it's age (1988) the bike handled better than the R6. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for getting ride of that bike. Now I'm gonna be stuck this season trying to push my heavy ass 98ZX9R around the track.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert said:
I'm gonna be stuck this season trying to push my heavy ass 98ZX9R around the track.
Hey Man:) Easy on the ole 9eR, she's not THAT heavy;)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
hey robert, there's still a lot of 400's out there. the sv has eased the price of them a lot.

hell you can pick up NICE 560's for less than 4000.

S

·
0 Posts
Machman,

You're in NB right ? Take a trip up to QC in the Spring/Fall. There are more bikes here in MTL than in TO.

I'd recommend a Kawi EX500. Come spring there are hundreds of them for sale.... Check out www.hebdo.net its in french but you should be able to do a search. In the spring as stated, hebdo.net has way to many bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
cbrf2boy said:
hey robert, there's still a lot of 400's out there. the sv has eased the price of them a lot.

hell you can pick up NICE 560's for less than 4000.
Tony,

But I'm getting married in June. Ya got $4,000 sitting around I can borrow? Hell, your not getting married till 2002 correct? ;)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Robert said:

Tony,

But I'm getting married in June. Ya got $4,000 sitting around I can borrow? Hell, your not getting married till 2002 correct? ;)
2003..... :)

come on robert, $4000'll be your tire bill on that 9r :)

to answer your question about borrowing $4k, i'm broke. i'm beyond broke.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Save Your Money!!!

Robert said:

Tony, But I'm getting married in June. Ya got $4,000 sitting around I can borrow? Hell, your not getting married till 2002 correct? ;)
I just got married last summer and if your like me and don't have a ton of money laying around, your gonna need it for the ole' hitchin':D;)!!!
Sh1t, I didn't even have enough money for tires, hence my lowside:(, but that meant lots of great upgrades from my insurance claim:D,...Who said getting married is a bad thing:):D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Save Your Money!!!

Robert said:

Tony, But I'm getting married in June. Ya got $4,000 sitting around I can borrow? Hell, your not getting married till 2002 correct? ;)
I just got married last summer and if your like me and don't have a ton of money laying around, your gonna need it for the ole' hitchin':D;)!!!
Sh1t, I didn't even have enough money for tires, hence my lowside:(, but that meant lots of great upgrades from my insurance claim:D,...Who said getting married is a bad thing:):D
BTW best wishes with your fiance/wife:)
Cheers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squidwannabe said:
Machman,

You're in NB right ? Take a trip up to QC in the Spring/Fall. There are more bikes here in MTL than in TO.

I'd recommend a Kawi EX500.
Thanks alot Squid! Yeah, I'm only about 10 hrs from Montreal. We were planning a trip there to see a friend anyway. I'm also glad to hear that someone else thinks that a 600 is too much bike for a womans first. I know guys that could kick my @ss on any track with an EX 500. What do you know about their reliability? A straight twin is a pretty simple machine to work on, but I'd prefer to not have to. I've never heard anything bad about them them.
Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts