Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
I hope he loses his job. I'm getting sick of seeing police tase people and get away with it.
He wont. Cops arent required to be responcible for their actions, and since tasers stand a pretty low chance of permanently injuring someone, its ok to use them just to gain compliance. So its perfectly ok to be trigger happy with a taser.

Hey, I didnt say I like it, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm sorry... I'm the FIRST person to say that cops are effing assholes, but this officer had EVERY RIGHT to tase that guy. He was non-compliant and getting aggressive. He's lucky he got tased and not forcibly thrown to the ground with a knee in his shoulder blades.

If you get yanked and think you're in the right, you DON'T get argumentative about it, you DON'T make demands and you DON'T disobey orders. You DO challenge it in court after you quietly accept that you were busted, whether rightfully or not.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
lol it's not always that simple. When the guy asked what the speed limit was at the beginning of the video, the cops reply was to let out a very loud sigh and repeat his 'licese, reg, ins' speech. He couldn't even be bothered to answer the question.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I couldn't make out a lot of the dialog but regardless of the cop's response to the guy's question, when a cop says to do something, it's best to do it. Even if you don't agree, it's better to challenge it in court than right then and there.

I will be the first to say that there are a lot of cops that try to act like they're above the law, but sometimes a good tasing is necessary. I don't fault the cop on this one. I hope that guy gets to spend a couple nights in the slammer. Might teach him to keep his mouth shut.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
There's a good argument against just complying. If a cop tells you to get out of your car and strip naked, should you just do that? Or, more realistically, if he forces you from your car and then searches it without giving any reasonable cause? Those are clear abuses of their powers that most certainly should be challenged on the spot. Otherwise you can be impacted by those events thanks to cell phone cameras and news organizations. If a cop's doing something unworthy I'd be on the cell phone lickety-split to a 911 operator since I know those calls to be recorded and stored.

Not that that's what's happening here, necessarily. The overly broad contexts being tossed around seemed worrisome. I found this site kinda interesting on the general subject. As I noted before, I seem to get along well with all kinds of LEOs, but then I'm a caucasian, middle-class professional.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I remember seeing a video (I think posted here a little while back) of a guy who was in the passenger seat of a car that had been ordered out of the car by the police. He was complying 100% with the officer in EVERY aspect, and the cop still shot him 3 times in the chest.

"He wasn't complying" is not even close to a valid argument, in my eyes.

I can completely see where this guy not eager to comply... He mentioned walking back to the sign with the cop, and the cop responded by "okay, get out of the car." The guy did so, only to find himself being screamed at by a trigger-happy cop with a taser. I would have shit myself... and I don't honestly think that following his orders would have been something I'd be too eager to do, either. That makes a situation VERY tense. It's not like he was threatening the cop.

If a cop's doing something unworthy I'd be on the cell phone lickety-split to a 911 operator since I know those calls to be recorded and stored.

My response is the same... but in this particular situation, it wouldn't have mattered. He would have gotten tased for reaching into his pocket. At that point, The tase would have had legit backing.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
My response is the same... but in this particular situation, it wouldn't have mattered. He would have gotten tased for reaching into his pocket. At that point, The tase would have had legit backing.
Absolutely true, but if you say loudly you're getting your phone to call 911 on him and do it slowly, you've got some great grounds for a tidy lawsuit.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
...Personally, I think it's time we take tasers away from cops.
Yep. They've become to quick to use them, IMO.

I don't give a rat's a**e what anyone says, this incident in no way required it to be used at all, let alone so quickly.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
No reason to take them away, but they need to modify the training. Its a great tool if used as an alternative to a side arm. But its rediculous to use it as an alternative to repeating yourself.
The simplest solution is make them go thru the same buerocratic crap (paper work, and whatever else) when they use their taser as when they discharge their firearm. Most wont be near as quick to use it if they know they will have to fill out a ton of paper work, and who knows what else.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Vash said:
No reason to take them away, but they need to modify the training. Its a great tool if used as an alternative to a side arm. But its rediculous to use it as an alternative to repeating yourself.
The simplest solution is make them go thru the same buerocratic crap (paper work, and whatever else) when they use their taser as when they discharge their firearm. Most wont be near as quick to use it if they know they will have to fill out a ton of paper work, and who knows what else.

Do you know if their training still requires them to be tased? I remember talking to a friend of mine, who is a VT state trooper, about the training. He was telling me that although it is over almost instantaneously after the tasing has stopped, it such intense excruciating pain that he would NEVER do that to another human being unless he absolutely HAD to.

It just seems to me, after hearing that, like these guys might not be required to go through that before being issued the tasers. I am curious to know, though.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
Do you know if their training still requires them to be tased? I remember talking to a friend of mine, who is a VT state trooper, about the training. He was telling me that although it is over almost instantaneously after the tasing has stopped, it such intense excruciating pain that he would NEVER do that to another human being unless he absolutely HAD to.

It just seems to me, after hearing that, like these guys might not be required to go through that before being issued the tasers. I am curious to know, though.
So the current training basically relies on compassion? Show someone how much it hurts in the hopes they wont do it to someone else? No wonder it doesnt do much good, people look at it as a right of passage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts