Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, you know on roads where they fill in and seal cracks with tar? has anyone crashed from doing a sharp turn and going over these tar spots? theres alot of it in the turns of this road i ride alot and some of it is bumpy and some of its not but its all pretty slick feeling. I was just wondering how many, if anyone, has lost it because of these.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Tar "snakes" are dangerous as all hell. I have read stores of riders going down because they hit one in a corner and either low or high sided as a result.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was hitting some corners a few days ago, I wasn't quite drag knee, but I was as low as I can go, and I hit two of those in the same corner. It was like having a fist size rock come under my front tire. It felt like my front tire just left the ground and the front end had no traction for that second I was on the snake.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Just wait 'til the "dog days of summer" and there's a crispy coat riding atop a dangerous ooze of slick liquid beneath.

:eek:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
About a year ago, I hit one at the apex of a pretty sharp corner, carrying lots of speed. Lost traction on the front, but regained once I drifted all the way out to the shoulder. Scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah they really suck, Ive hit them in unexpected areas before and found myself 2 feet farther out on the corner in a hurry.

Worst thing is one of my favorite roads is now covered in them, it flooded and cracked a couple weeks ago and they COVERED it in tar. Bastards....

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For the first few yrs of said tar snakes it is rather touchy when riding a bike, but by the years on they seem to be of the past for probably a maze of grit has come from the cages & given them decent grip to us on bikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
JOECBR600F4i said:
Hate em when they are hot or wet. Slippery as hell. One or two is not bad bt when they make a web of them on a corner, oh chit!!
It affects Cages too.

First time I've ever drifted a mercedes through a turn. :)

(thanks BMW performance driving school!)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Tar snakes are definitely not fun to hit, especially on the hot days of summer. I have had the back wheel kick out a good 2+ feet after hitting on in a tight corner. I would say that most of the time people pull out of it with out going down and slightly soiled drawers. Like Smitty said, they are not too bad once they have established themselves in the community for a year or two, but they still get slippery as snot when it is hot out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tar Snakes are the devil in disguise. I almost got into a few wrcks because of them, One time I almost lowsided with a passenger on the back because of it, the rear wheel just sliped right out but caught pavment just in time and i was able to recover.

Be smart and be careful around those bastards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts