Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they look fuckin badass, so my goal is to be able to do them by the end of the summer. I'm gonna try and practice every day so I think I can get em. Anyway, first I need to get my regular wheelies on lock because right now I can't stay in bp. Once I get those down in first and second gear, I'm guessing I should dent my tank in and get a handbrake? Or should I try to learn something else before goin to spreaders? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Honestly man, don't get ahead of yourself. I'll throw my .02 in on the subject and anyone else feel free to interject.

Spreaders are by far my favorite. Without a doubt. BUT!! If you aren't rockin consistent bp wheelies in 1st and second gear with excellent brake control... don't do it yet. The thing with spreaders is, if you come down hard... you're goin over the bars. Where as with a regular wheelie, you just smash your nuts. they're no joke and I busted myself up pretty bad a couple times learnin them. (mostly my fault) You have to have clutch ups MASTERED and then you get to relearn it! WEEEEE... but it'll be easy this time around, just more throttle.

Once you're ready for them, post up and I"ll make a write up for tank denting, and a homemade handbrake. Or you can buy one. they aren't too bad. a couple bucks more but I think it's worth it.

Spreaders are a must have for your bag of tricks. Start stretching now if you aren't limber... gotta get them nice and high, other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.

Yay for spreaders! :squid:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RoadStainR6 said:
Honestly man, don't get ahead of yourself. I'll throw my .02 in on the subject and anyone else feel free to interject.

Spreaders are by far my favorite. Without a doubt. BUT!! If you aren't rockin consistent bp wheelies in 1st and second gear with excellent brake control... don't do it yet. The thing with spreaders is, if you come down hard... you're goin over the bars. Where as with a regular wheelie, you just smash your nuts. they're no joke and I busted myself up pretty bad a couple times learnin them. (mostly my fault) You have to have clutch ups MASTERED and then you get to relearn it! WEEEEE... but it'll be easy this time around, just more throttle.

Once you're ready for them, post up and I"ll make a write up for tank denting, and a homemade handbrake. Or you can buy one. they aren't too bad. a couple bucks more but I think it's worth it.

Spreaders are a must have for your bag of tricks. Start stretching now if you aren't limber... gotta get them nice and high, other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.

Yay for spreaders! :squid:
:( :(

Yea, I know. But I mean if I get out there every day and practice for a couple hours I'm hoping to be able to get regular wheelies on lock sooner then the occasional practice session would have gotten me. I actually just picked up a tank on ebay for $26. It's even the same color scheme as my bike, and only has a few scratches and a small dent on the back (where your crotch is when you're in the seat) so maybe ya could post up that guide whenever you get a chance? I don't plan on moving on to tank wheelies anytime soon, but I couldn't pass up the great deal and it'll be nice to have all set up and ready. And maybe a link to a place I could get a handbrake?

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You'll be amazed how fast they come to you if you start practicing daily. But you'll still have your on and off days. especially while learning a new trick. one day you'll kill it, the next day you'll wonder if wheelies are even possible.

While you're waiting to get that stuff on lock, you'll have plenty of time to do the tank and save for the new rearsets and clip ons that you'll need. Oh, and stock up on case covers and jb weld :thumb: I'll do a nice pretty tank denting write up.. maybe include some pics if I can find them. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yea one more question.. is there a good cage I can get that won't impede my street riding too much? I wanna keep riding the street until I get another bike hopefully at the end of the year so I don't want something that'll hang real low.

·
Registered
489 Posts
905's are good for street riding. MXD is also really good. I like freestlye ingenuity... you can remove the loop for days you aren't stunting and just have extended sliders, then put the loop on for practicing. Takes 3 minutes tops.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RoadStainR6 said:
905's are good for street riding. MXD is also really good. I like freestlye ingenuity... you can remove the loop for days you aren't stunting and just have extended sliders, then put the loop on for practicing. Takes 3 minutes tops.
Thanks a lot, I'll check em out. I'll probably get the FI cage, I've seen them recommended on other forums and they seem to fit what I need best. I was lookin on 905's website and they had some handbrakes but none for an F3.. any idea where I could pick one up for my bike?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
FI cages rock. Quality product. I wouldnt say it takes 3 minuts to chage, more like 30. Unless you got a friend helping you, then its quick.
There is however one big disadvanage. Even with the loop off, you have to remove the sliders in order to take the mid fairings off. Which is a real PIA.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Vash said:
FI cages rock. Quality product. I wouldnt say it takes 3 minuts to chage, more like 30. Unless you got a friend helping you, then its quick.
There is however one big disadvanage. Even with the loop off, you have to remove the sliders in order to take the mid fairings off. Which is a real PIA.
True about the fairings. I just like being able to remove the cage without dismantaling the whole damn bike. In all actuallity it's about a 10- 15 minute job with a friend. So yea, three minutes is a little off :( But it still beats hitting your shins off the 905 and having to worry about he bike getting tossed when it hits the ground. Good cage still, I'm just a bit partial. I've had both 905 and FI. Fi won in my book. the fact that they have the plastic caps for the sliders makes it nice too... when they get trashed you just order new ones. Best of luck in your search. It's a highly debated, opinion filled, choice.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Agreed, FI is much better then 905. But there are a few areas that could use improvment.
Trying to install the loop by yourself is damn near impossible, since you cant see when it connects to the other side. Messing with the little bolts to install and remove it is also a pain. Some sort of twist lock on the loop would be nice.
Also it would've been nice if the cage connected to the motormounts instead of directly to the frame. Motormounts are much easier to replace.

The biggest prop I got for FI is their customer support. Those guys helped me out at 12am on a friday night... Thats commitment right there!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either way, it's not a big deal. I probably won't be taking them off/putting them on that frequently anyway.. I'll be stunting a lot more then riding hard in the twisties for a while.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Vash said:

Also it would've been nice if the cage connected to the motormounts instead of directly to the frame. Motormounts are much easier to replace...

The original FI cages (when I first started stunting) actually did connect to the motor mounts. But, since the motor mounts were taking the most of the shock. One diecent drop and the mounts would just snap right off. So, after some R&D, they moved it to the actual frame. Much stronger, and it takes hits a lot better! This is where 905 has its problems. While the cage itself is strong as hell, the mounts bent after time and then the cage would bend, and then you'd have to cut it to get it off to fix the bent motor mounts. while I fully support bth companies, since they do make a great cage... my humble opinion is that FI still has them by a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts