Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently wrecked his SV1k bringing down a second gear wheelie. Guess the steering dampner didnt do him any good. Anyways he is alright, just some roadrash, and his bike is fixable.

But the question is, what is it one is supposed to do once a slapper starts?

Seems to me the right responce would be to get on the gas, hard. that would take the weight of the front end, let you steady it out. Of course the bike can still wobble around the rear end, but that doesnt seem like it would be so bad.

Of course I've also heard that tank slappers are coused by the front end being too light, which would suggest getting on the brakes (Somehow i keep seing that ending up very bad)

Or is it one of those situations that there is no way to save, and you might as well start thinking about the best way to ditch your bike?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to have some problems with tank slappers with the stock damper on my GSXR 750. I got a good deal on a hyper pro damper, purchased it and haven't had a problem since. As for how to fix it...... I am unsure! Seems to me like acceleration would help.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tank slappers are caused by either A: quick acceleration and the front wheel "floating" but still touching the ground... this causes a wobble in the wheel, then a "slap". Or B: Comming down from a wheelie with the bars turned.

Both can be solved with a good damper (and landing with the wheelstraight). But yes, everyone who said accellerating was correct. It's the only way I've seen anyone get out of one... that or being the hulk and able to hold the bars steady....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've landed a few wheelies with the bars crooked, and it didnt seem to be a big deal. Just one relativly gentle woble and the bike was inline and going. I still try to avoid doing that, less something worse happens.

Something else happened this weekend that has me thinking. The warmer roads are giving me confidence to push my bike further, and I'm taking full advantage of it. I got to the edge of my 180's (I could do that much easier to 190's) and scaped footpegs a few times. Ok so this might be laughable to some of you, but to me its an accomplisment.
In some of the tighter turns the front tire would start to loose traction. when it would it would slide a little ways, and the bars would turn into the corner abit more than they normally would. With the tire turned abit, it would catch traction not with the part that is normally touching the ground, but a slight bit higher (or forward). When that would happen the tire would come back inline with the bike rather violently. Since it was just one jerk, the effects are about the same as hitting a big bump at full lean angle. However if that was to turn into an oscilation i would be in trouble.
Is this something that can be dialed out with suspension?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I personally have never had any problems with tank slaps but ALL suzukis come factory with stabilizers....:twofinger :D But ive seen many people come off of wheelies and have it happen the only thing ive ever seen anyone do is just let go of the bars....most people arnt the hulk and cant hold on so just hope like hell that it works its way out.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
750babe said:
Well I personally have never had any problems with tank slaps but ALL suzukis come factory with stabilizers....:twofinger :D
I'm not sure that the fact that Suzukis require that a steering damper be installed in stock form is a plus....sounds like bad engineering to me. :twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its more a case of bad PR, due to the whole TLR incident.

Besides a steering stabalizer is not a cure all for tank slappers. Especially the cheap one that factories throw on there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
spicersh said:
I'm not sure that the fact that Suzukis require that a steering damper be installed in stock form is a plus....sounds like bad engineering to me. :twofinger

Bad engineering??? Please! Just because Suzuki wants their riders to stay alive more than the people who make your p.o.s. doesnt mean its bad engineering! :p :D And it may be a cheap factory one but its sill better than no stabilizer at all. Dont pick on me b/c im a girl you guys I do kinda know what im talking about. :twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are picking on you couse you ride a zuki...

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I was merely commenting on the fact that the Suzuki needs a damper bone stock, while many other makes and models can be ridden in stock form just as hard without them. Does that not indicate something to you? I really don't care to debate it, either you see it or you don't. :dunno:

I'm not picking on you for being a girl, or really at all. You made a comment, I responded. :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SH:
I really dont think a zuki needs a dampner any more than any other bike (what it does need is better looks. things are damn ugly :twofinger )
I'm sure you are familuar with the TLR, which came without a dampner, and a journalist was killed by a tank slapper while writing a review.
From the best of my understanding, its wasnt really the bikes fault. A strong twin with a short wheelbase, is going to wheelie a good deal, and wheelies result in slappers. But from a PR perspective that was really bad. So suzuki countered with putting a dampner on every single sportbike they make, which in my opinion was a damn good move.
Of course that means they have to cut corners elsewhere to stay with the price war

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was just joking. And I dont think that suzukis need a damper. Dont get all defensive! I understand everything that happened and I think all bikes should come stock with dampers. I have to go for now I should be on later.

K-lee

·
Registered
157 Posts
wheelie_steve said:
I see it that dampers are more of an insurance policy! They save lot's of peoples asses.
I agree. It doesnt mean that the bike isnt made as well or anything like that. I love my bike and the only prob. Ive had with it is when the motor blew up last summer. The 00 and 01 bikes have a problem in the motor that causes the clutch basket to explode. Lucky me I was one of the people who had to deal with it. Luckily I got a motor off of ebay for about $1k and it only had about 700 miles on it. I havnt had any problems since then. :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
750babe said:
I agree. It doesnt mean that the bike isnt made as well or anything like that. I love my bike and the only prob. Ive had with it is when the motor blew up last summer. The 00 and 01 bikes have a problem in the motor that causes the clutch basket to explode. Lucky me I was one of the people who had to deal with it. Luckily I got a motor off of ebay for about $1k and it only had about 700 miles on it. I havnt had any problems since then. :D
Steering dampners are insurance, but only to a point. I have a friend that very recently wrecked his SV1k from a tank slapper. As you know, it comes equiped with a dampner. The slapper was caused by a bad wheelie landing. (Well I am guessing it was bad, the wheelie sure looked good). My only point is that its not a catch all and dont think you are immune from slappers if you got a dampner installed. Especially if its the cheap factory one.

Now your motor exploded? You gonna tell us how great your bike is, and than your motor explodes? thats more than just critical falure in my book. Thats bad design. And seing how you had to pay for it, I guess there wasnt a recall? Crap, I'm never buying a sizuki (not that I was going to earlier).

However the fact that you still love your bike, speaks volumes about your love of the sport, and the presence of a strong backbone. Which probly means I better go get my flack vest.

Peace

1 - 17 of 17 Posts