Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I'm setting out from San Francisco and heading to San Diego for the weekend. I'm gonna alternate between taking the 101S and the Pacific Coast 1. So the ride itself should be quite breathtaking and anyone that knows about the 1 around Big Sur knows that it's a blast to ride through.

I've gone through google maps and they estimate that it should take me about 11 hours to get there. It's gonna be my first ride thats over 7 hours and I'm just looking for any pointers.

What kind of food to eat beforehand, how often should I stop, any good energy drinks that don't leave you feeling nasty afterward, basically how should I go about preparing before the trip? And how should I do things during it? ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, if you've done 7 hour rides, you know that 11 hour rides are going to be like the 7 hour ride, except almost doubled. That's a long drive in a car, let alone a sportbike. Add a couple hours for pee and stretch breaks, because you'll need them. No, add more than that. I'll easily add a couple hours to an otherwise 8 hour ride.

As far as what to drink - water is the best. Avoid coffee, tea and soda, since they are diuretics. Energy drinks too. But, as you reach hour 8 or 9, I'll bet you'll be craving a few beers. My official call is to tell you to avoid those too.

As far as what to eat, obviously you don't want to bonk out there, but riding isn't exactly an athletic event either, just a strain on the joints and muscles. You don't really need to alter your eating habits, except that I would a) not overeat, and b) avoid foods that "pass through" quickly. Personally, I think a nice, juicy burger is a yummy thing to eat on a long road trip.

As far as other preparation - aside from the standard things like emergency flat repair kits, etc... prepare for the real possibility that you just might not make it in one day to do cramping, so take the necessary cash or credit card for such contingencies. The real key to rides like this is to make enough, and long enough rest stops so you don't cramp and end up in a lot of pain near the end.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Personally, I would not want to do an 11-hour ride. But then again, I'm gettin' old. :mad:

Seriously, that is a pretty long ride. Plus, since it is quite scenic, I'd want to give some extra time to "smell the roses" and check things out along the way. I would definitely consider doing an overnight stay along your route. Otherwise, halfway into your ride you're just gonna want to wish it would end and start rushing things to get to your final destination. And what fun is that?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It is a LONG ride I will agree. Though I am old, my limit is 8+ hrs on terrian I know darn well so no surprises. Like I know every darn twisty, to tight banking, to places to be prepered down for safety------in other words like a logging rig driver that pounds the same roads weekly to several times a week.

Make sure you have a good dump before you start rolling. Water is all I carry & all I drink. Part way along my run I have a small town restaurant or two that know me well so when I pop in they are prepared to take care of my needs & basically they are the same with no worry about my m/c as it is parked right out in front of their windows.

As mine are shorting runs then your 11 hrs I eat darn little & even when I come home. Take a look at the weather & hope to gosh is is going to be a dry run.

Like up your refills for fuel well before you start to get low on fuel & stretch a bit at each place or right after it, to where you stop off for a bit to eat.

I often find the day has been stressing & will find a pretty cleam place like a tree with a bit of grass that I can park under, bull out a power bar, & have it along with water. Often I end up having a snooze & sometimes the RCMP want to know if I am well or not. Good for them for it woke me up for the rest of the trip. This latter bit is when I am riding some roads I am not that familiar in.

Mister Tee has iven you some good tips. If you are starting to feel the strain or making small errors then TIME to call it quits & find yourself a motel where your plastic money card will do the job.

I was only 35 miles from home, had clocked around 300 miles plus not much of a rest from the race the day before, at an MX event & could feel I was pooped out, even though pulling a trailer by my Jeep, with my two MX irons in, but realized I could not make it home without possibly having an accident, if it was up to me to make the quicky movements compared to an error by someone else. Went to a motel & early the next moring, feeling so much more alive I made the rest of the trip.
------------------------------------
For the interest of you or others in my 6 to 8+ hr runs, as said I know which roads I am pounding. Around half-way point I drop into a small restaurant in a small town. They know it is my True Brunch time for in the morning I take off without having b/fast or any food to even coffee, tea or water. So a muffin & a couple of cups of coffee is the answer & besides it gives me time to stretch out for in 30 minutes I will be riding again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys it's all really really appreciated. I'm bringing plenty of cash in case I need to stop overnight as well as a couple of credit cards just in case. I'm also making sure that I get plenty of rest tonight since I'm planning to leave around 7am to avoid traffic. Mister Tee you and I have the same idea of good ride food. I can't wait to stop in Santa Barbara and grab a burger...my mouth just watered thinking about it. The only reason I asked about food was because a considerable portion of my ride is gonna be in the twisties. Didn't know if anyone had a food of choice for that particular type of riding ;) . Oh and smitty thanks for the power bar suggestion, thats what I usually have when I go snowboarding to avoid feeling bloated while boarding...not a good feeling. Gotta make sure to grab a few of those.

I'm definitely going to make sure to take my time and avoid rushing anything. The whole point afterall is to enjoy it and have fun just like zx rider said. Hopefully it will be good weather the whole way but I'm packing some rain gear just in case. I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain. Makes me glad sometimes the ergos on my f3 are a little bit easier to live with then newer 600's.

Thanks for mentioning the flat tire kit, I'll have to make sure to grab one tonight in case of anything. Just sent the bike in for some maintenance and a checkup to make sure it's up to the task. A new diablo on the rear and diablo corsa on the front should make the ride nice and enjoyable..at least after a 100miles of scrubbing them in first. :laughing:

Oh and zx rider...you're never too old for an 11hr ride...especially when you've got a zx11 to make quick work of it!

Overall guys I'm pretty psyched, hopefully this will be one of many longer rides to come, though I might have to think about buying a VFR if this keeps up...:eyebrows:

Thanks again for the help guys, this is the kind of stuff that make me glad I joined this board. Maybe I'll be able to take some good pictures to post up when I get back. Just don't expect Jbaz level photography or anything. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
********************************************************************************************************

for energy eat complex-carbohydrates such as pasta. I am a XC runner and they are awesome energy-meals!

Try having pasta the night before. Also, when riding, eat peanut butter beacuse it will coat the inside of your stomach and you will remain full/energized longer!

Avoid gatorades, soda, or anything with sodium in it.

Also, if you have to stop (which you probably will), make sure you eat a bunch of small portions, rather than one or two huge meals. This way, your digestive tract will remain relaxed, therefore avoiding any discomfort while riding

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Best piece of advise I think I've gotten so far. Who can help but like smitty? :burnout: :laughing:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain.
I road with a backpack for 3 hrs one time and then went to cortech and bought some saddle bags and tank bag.. I will never.. I repeat NEVER ride with a backpack again.. They kill me on a long trip.. Good luck and ride safe on ur trip.. I envy you!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
poppincaps88 said:
Thanks for the advice guys it's all really really appreciated. I'm bringing plenty of cash in case I need to stop overnight as well as a couple of credit cards just in case. I'm also making sure that I get plenty of rest tonight since I'm planning to leave around 7am to avoid traffic. Mister Tee you and I have the same idea of good ride food. I can't wait to stop in Santa Barbara and grab a burger...my mouth just watered thinking about it. The only reason I asked about food was because a considerable portion of my ride is gonna be in the twisties. Didn't know if anyone had a food of choice for that particular type of riding ;) . Oh and smitty thanks for the power bar suggestion, thats what I usually have when I go snowboarding to avoid feeling bloated while boarding...not a good feeling. Gotta make sure to grab a few of those.

I'm definitely going to make sure to take my time and avoid rushing anything. The whole point afterall is to enjoy it and have fun just like zx rider said. Hopefully it will be good weather the whole way but I'm packing some rain gear just in case. I'm probably going to be carrying one of the axio hardpacks on my back the whole way so hopefully it won't add to much strain. Makes me glad sometimes the ergos on my f3 are a little bit easier to live with then newer 600's.

Thanks for mentioning the flat tire kit, I'll have to make sure to grab one tonight in case of anything. Just sent the bike in for some maintenance and a checkup to make sure it's up to the task. A new diablo on the rear and diablo corsa on the front should make the ride nice and enjoyable..at least after a 100miles of scrubbing them in first. :laughing:

Oh and zx rider...you're never too old for an 11hr ride...especially when you've got a zx11 to make quick work of it!

Overall guys I'm pretty psyched, hopefully this will be one of many longer rides to come, though I might have to think about buying a VFR if this keeps up...:eyebrows:

Thanks again for the help guys, this is the kind of stuff that make me glad I joined this board. Maybe I'll be able to take some good pictures to post up when I get back. Just don't expect Jbaz level photography or anything. ;)
Well, sounds like you are all set. Hope you have a great time. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I bought an MSR massive fanny bag that takes in a load larger then most tank bags. Only used it a few times, but most the weight, even on a sportbike, is on the saddle to hip & upper leg secton. So if you do go in to refill or grab a meal all comes with you. Darn good purchase though doubt if they still make them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bring a pair of socks, really it will feel great to have a clean pair when you get there. Also a few handy wipes from your local kfc would be good to have. +1 on the pregame dump, and the pasta for dinner the night before. Always carry a snack, something small like an energy bar, trail mix, or my favorite a large payday.

wake up at least a few hours before you head out so that you are fully awake from the start, and defiantly avoid caffeine. for breakfast I would suggest something light. a large salad would be the best thing, but who likes salad for breakfast? The biggest things to have are plastic with to tow it back if you need to or to stay over night somewhere, and last a cell/track phone. if you don't have those and can't get them before you leave at least bring about ten quarters.

This next one is a bit off the wall, and looking at the absolute worst of situations. Wear a belt, military style is the best. If you are in an accident and are seriously injured, and off the road were people will not be able to see you your belt will make a fast tourniquet/sling. If you break a leg, your belt plus a stick can make a broken leg sturdy enough to walk to help.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To late for this one, still others might read it. When you notce the toilet paper roll is down to 1/3 then switch it for a full roll.

Find a plastic container to house the 1/3 roll of toilet paper that will do 100 & one different jobs, from something to blew your nose on, wipe off this or that. Like I mean it is priceless. I always carry a tank bag on my different bikes, but always it carries that toilet roll till it is needed to be replaced.

A few yrs ago I could see this bike stopped & the rider was fussing around his saddle bags. He explained to me he had to hike it into the bush so handed him said roll. He apologized he had used so much for he had to take a dump & we both agreed that the toilet paper is better then green leaves for said job!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently made the 7 hour ride from San Diego to Monterey for the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca. One thing that helped me make it was a CamelBak hydration bladder. It's like a little water bladder you wear on your back like a backpack (some leather suits come with them built in now). They are available at most sporting goods stores. It helps you to stay hydrated without having to stop and dig out a bottle of water. Just slip the hose up into your helmet and enjoy!

And just FYI, I made my trip on my VFR, and I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys!

Just got back last night and man was it a killer weekend.

So I left home around 9am on Friday morning and managed to make it to San Diego in about 10 hours and that was through LA traffic. For the most part it was uneventful and actually pretty boring cosidering I spent a good deal of time on the 101. Not exactly the most fun highway in the world but still a much more interesting ride then if I had taken the 5 which is one big long straightaway :barf:

After spending a full day in San Diego and resting up wonderfully I made my way back yesterday morning. This time around I decided that I wanted to spend as little time as possible on the major freeways. So wha was a 10 hour ride there ended up being a 14 hour ride back. Basically I should have broken it up into a two day trip back, especially since I managed to get caught at Big Sur at night while it was foggy....not nearly as much fun as it could have been...actually a little scary.

I still had a blast coming back though at least while it was still light out, and the fact that I managed to almots entirely avoid traffic made the extra 4 hours completely worth it. Not to mention that the twisties on that road are really something to behold at certain points. Put my new diablos to very very good use. :eyebrows:

I got one speeding ticket in Grover Beach which sucked but I guess that just means I was really having a good time. :rolleyes:

Overall awesome ride and was pretty much cramp free the whole way. Just a little achey towards the end.

Oh and I've never drank so much water in my whole life :eek: Definitely going to get one of those water bladders next time.

Oh and Justin, how did you manage to make it in 7hrs? Very few stops for fuel? Or we're you just booking it :burnout:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice work! Glad to hear you enjoyed the ride and probably learned a few things on the way. I take it you made the trip on the Honda? That would explain why you made it without too much discomfort! I did my first ride on the Duc last year from AZ to Sacramento in 12 night hours, and most likely like ZXRider, I was hauling ass every chance I got!

The ride you had is something you'll never forget, and the miles will show the next time you're faced with a decision making situation. Everything will be like butter! Good report and hope to hear many more from you,

Dan T

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Nice to see you back & in one piece. I was surprised that your start-off was 9:00 AM. Now I clock at lot of Mtn runs of from 7 to 8 hrs of riding, BUT I start off at 7:30am to 8:30am for that, in my area, puts me up against far, far less traffic---possibly Calif traffic are different.. Just a point of interest.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Welcome back! Glad you made the trip incident free. Sounds like you had a great time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a few days since my journey home and already I'm getting the urge to take another one....longer this time! Not in one day mind you, but maybe a week long motorcycle trip. Maybe make a trip to deals gap or something...;) If only...:rolleyes:
Stupid job getting in the way of my motorcycle plans...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts