Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
quick advice needed!!
i am running regular Pro-Honda GN-4 oil in my F4 (~5300 miles) now. what is the advantage of going synthetic?? (better shifting, right?)
1/ what is the diff. b/w pure synthetic and a synthetic blend?
2/ would you recommend one over the other and if so, why?
3/ which oil manufacturer would you recommend if i decide to move to synthetic/blend?
thanks all! :)

--------------
arif
'99 F4

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hey Arif! I may be wrong, but I think all of the Synthetic oils avialable to the general public for Motorcycles are actually synthetic blends -not pure synthetics.

I use Synthetic (Motul) because of the high stresses placed on a motorcycle engine i.e. very high rpm sustained for long periods, hard starting, etc. I dont mind spending the extra money for the peace of mind and I like the smoother shifting too.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use Motul 3100 10-40 and it doesn`t say anywhere on the jug that its semi-synthetic(a blend).I figured that it was full synthetic? now I don`t know.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm 99% sure that 3100 is a semi.

i used it in my f2. full synthetics are expensive, but the 3100 is like $20/gal.

as for my fzr, i use amsoil (used to have mobil 1, but thought i'd try the amsoil). amsoil is a full synthetic car oil which many people argue against.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black--coming!!!
88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Arif, TJ and I use Motul in both our Hondas as well. When they tore TJ's bike apart to do the 16,000 mile check and adjust the heads, etc. they said there was no wear on the cam at all and that the engine was in excellent shape, possibly due to the Motul.

TJ rides the bike hard with lots of high RPMs and high speeds for long periods of time, but he also takes good care of the bike with regular interval oil changes, etc. Maybe it's the oil, maybe not, but it's worth the extra it costs in my opinion, for the Motul.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Mobil 1 4XT and it is a FULL synthetic, meaning, that it's 100% synthetic. Blends are part petroleum, part synthetic. Motul makes full and blends. And I think even Castrol is now making a full synthetic for motorcycles. I tend to prefer the full synthetics since they are created to stick to metal parts better than petroleum. Supposed to be better on the clutch too. I don't know but I've never had a problem and the engine and clutch both look great so far.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive blown gears and spun main bearings using semi-synthetic (Golden Spectro) while still keeping the bike clean and well maintained and serviced, but ive never had any problems running MOTUL 100% synth. I say if you can get it than go with the MOTUL. (i need to find a dealer around here!)

------------------
Mike Lachance
"Gentlemen! This is the War Room, you cant fight in HERE!"
'95 ZX-6E
'91 600R
'81 GS750E
'87 YSR50/250 (Coming soon!)

·
Registered
367 Posts
All this talk made me run to the garage and check my oil containers. Golden Spectro syn. blend. Damn, 6 bucks a quart and it's just a blend. Damn!
I just bought Mobil 1 for the wife's SUV and it's on 15 bucks for the 5 quart container. Now why can't we use the car stuff? Proper qty and frequent changes should be all that matters. Please school me on the difference between car and motorcycle oils. Neither say anything about "made only for cars or bikes". They both meet all the factory requirements set by the manufacturer.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
2000 Katana 600
38 tickets and still counting :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
motorcycle oils lube BOTH the engine and the tranny while car oil only lubes the engine.
correct me if i am off....

-------------
arif
'99 F4

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has anyone heard of the following? is this valid????

HONDA'S CLAIM:
"at a Honda tech seminar a room full of Honda wrenches was told by the Honda
service rep not to use Synth in the F4, 929, RC51, & XX." -
this is the second instance that i have heard of honda not recommending synthetic oil in the new bikes.

THE REASON:
Synthetic oil and synth blends contain moly. some new Honda clutch plates have moly embedded in the friction material already.
Apparently, the combination of the two reduces friction too much. The Honda
bikes you've owned over the years didn't have moly in the clutches, only the newer bikes do. Synthetic oil MAY cause clutch slippage!

what do you say?

------------
arif
'99 F4

·
Registered
292 Posts
The synthetics made specifically for motorcycles should be fine. They're designed and tested with wet clutches, trannies, etc. There is nothing special in the Hondas that makes them different than the Yamahas, Kawasakis, etc. I wouldn't use car oil (although I've read about one guy who put over 100,000 miles on his 900RR with a car synthetic) because it contains different additives. Bike oils, in particular, have more zinc in them to better lube the transmission. I use the Mobil 1 4XT full synthetic like Fritz does. It costs $10.00 per quart (low volume sales) but that, to me, is minor for a $10,000+ bike and the expense of a drivetrain rebuild. Synthetics are also much more heat resistant. We run our sportbikes so hard I figure it can only help. ..especially for air/oil cooled bikes (any early Gixxer riders reading this?)

------------------
1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is a BIG difference between car and motorcycle when it comes to lubrication.Car oils lubricate the engine,period.Motorcycle oils lubricate the engine,gearbox and clutch.
Putting a car oil on a motorcycle engine can lead to some problems,the gearbox probably will keep functioning normally,but the clutch will suffer,a friend of mine who owns a FJ 1200 has some 60.000 Km and is getting his THIRD set of clutch plates,no problems,just simple clutch plate wear.I have talket to him but he insists on using car oil cos its cheaper,oh well....
But then,you might get problems or you can get away with it,depends on your bike and the car oil you use.

------------------
Vasco (Suzuki) Santos
RF 900

·
Registered
19 Posts
BTW: I get the Mobil 1 4xt from Autozone for about $7.99 a quart. Best deal around. You can buy it by the case at www.mobil1.com. You can buy Elf Moto full synth from Lockhart-phillips by the liter.All the european racers use it.

Also, if you read the new Honda owners manuals, they recommend, OF COURSE, that you use only HONDA oils in your bike. No shit Sherlock!! The full synthetics out now will NOT hurt your Honda clutch.

Car synths don't have the additives that protect the light metals used in bike engines and clutches. They can cause internal erosion of your clutch plates, especially if they are non-metallic like kevlar. You may save a few bucks now then spend it on new clutch plates later.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I always run Honda Pro oil. I read a
comparison in sport rider some time ago.
They rated it the best.

Good enough for me even if I own a Yami.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my .02

my fzr has been through hell and back. it's used mobil 1 (car oil) for quite sometime.

it's still running strong, clutch seems good, doesn't pop out of gear, etc, etc, etc. i think it was ami who rated mobil1 as their pick for best oil.

does this mean i'll use it in my gsxr (or r1 if the damn bike doesn't get here soon), nope. motorcycle oil maybe snake oil, it may not, but for the price, i'll call it cheap piece of mind.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black--coming!!!
88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is it ok to switch to a full synthetic oil at any time once the bike is past it's break in period? Some people suggest just waiting until the break in period is over while others say you should wait until atleast the 1000 mile mark. I've read where it can be a problem on older engines if you switch from a conventional oil to a synthetic.

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have read the reports from Mobil and they say nothing about why to use motorcycle oil in motorcycles. According to the owners manual it just says use 10W-40 with SG or better ratings. I would think that if auto oil is good enough for turbo charged engines it would be good enough for bikes. So the bike has only 1 type fluid instead of 2 or 3 types like a car and that is reason enough for the bike manufacturers to charge more money for their oil? Some of you say that 6 - 10 dollars per quart is cheap insurance. The bike manufacturers are loving you for that theory. The owners manual should say "use only motorcycle oil" and explain why so that we poor people will know why we are suppose to use only motorcycle oil.
Just my .02

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
2000 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

·
Registered
20 Posts
Todd, my friend, with *38* speeding tickets its NO WONDER youre poor..

------------------
Mike Lachance
"Gentlemen! This is the War Room, you cant fight in HERE!"
'95 ZX-6E (my present project)
'91 600R (Gone, but NOT Forgotten)
'81 GS750E (FORGOTTEN)
'87 YSR50/250 (Coming soon!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts