• got one of each because I couldn't choose

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting an R1 and wondered if others who have had a 600cc bike and switched to a liter bike regretted it? Or if they had a liter bike and switched to a 600cc what did you think? I'm just a regular rider and use my bike for daily riding and canyon carving with longer rides (600+ miles) every other month or so for my job. My wife rides with me frequently on shorter trips and scooting around town to the show and stuff. That is one reason I've thought about geting a bigger bike in order to handle our combined weight easier. Top speed isn't a big deal for me, I added a larger rear sprocket on my R6 to increase the usable power and I think that a liter bike will meet that need better.

So what is your opinions on this

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Bigger is always better unless you're talking about a girl. :D

There's more 'on tap' with the litre bikes, but it's rider preference, IMHO.

If you've got the R6 and the comfort's OK, then the R1 will be about the same, just with a much bigger kick in the ass when you want it. :2cents:

·
Registered
471 Posts
ooo, yeah. Steve, i'm in the same boat. looking to go from R6 ro R1. don't know if i'll love / hate it compared to the (brilliant) R6.

-chr|s

·
Registered
251 Posts
I want an R1 so bad now! but i dont want to die! I have heard you can power up wheelies in 3rd gear if you want! I am not a stunter but some of the guys i ride with are, and when they said that i was shocked! Its not possible to even get the wheel close to being in the air in any other gear except for first without using the clutch on a stock r6

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This Sunday I'm taking the R1 for a test ride and if it's as good as advertised I'll buy it. The guy selling it said I wouldn't ride my R6 anymore after riding an R1. I can't imagine letting my R6 just sit in the garage getting dusty but we will see.

Steve

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, I just found out that back in May '04 when I financed the new R6 (that just got stolen) i was actully pre-approved for $35,000! SO....I think i'm just gonna get a new R6, and a new R1. and maybe a Ducati, you know, just to have one. :)

Visa's customer of the month,
-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thats awesome! lol... So i also finaced my bike and i have full coverage on it. If it gets stolen wont i be just shit out of luck and not get another bike? cause they will pay off my loan not get me another bike right?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HyDrO said:
Thats awesome! lol... So i also finaced my bike and i have full coverage on it. If it gets stolen wont i be just shit out of luck and not get another bike? cause they will pay off my loan not get me another bike right?
Be aware about the gap between blue book and what you owe. There is a thing called gap insurance which will cover any difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I switched to a 929 from an F4i in a matter of 3 months of riding. not because I am any good at riding, I just look like an elephant f*%$ing a football on the 600. I'm 6'4 an 255, so I'm by no means a small guy ( fat ass is more like it ). There are some days I wish I would have kept the 600 just to better my skills a bit before leaping to a big bike, but I feel pretty comfy on the 929.But now I'm looking into an SV1000s. Hooked on the vtwin:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well i have always had 600's but i rode my boys suzuki tlr and i loved how the power came on... if everything goes well i want the new rc51

·
Registered
68 Posts
"my" first street bike was my X's 250 ninja, second was a yam fzr1000 and last and final was the Y2KYZFR1. haven't looked back since:D :D :D looked down at the pave't a few times:crying: :crying: but we have come to develope a mutual respect and have built a beautiful relationship. wouldn't trade her for anything.except maybe a 954 or MV F4 1000 blue/silver
out on the street it really doesn't matter!! there are guys I have trouble keeping up with on 750's it is only on the I straight-a-ways they don't stand a chance

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't switch as I had planned but added a 2003 R1 to keep my 2k R6 company. Although there is some difference in the steering characteristics I'm enjoying the bike a bunch. Paid 7800 for the bike with only 2717 miles on it. Now I need to start the mods I've done to my R6 .

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
HyDrO said:
So is it alot more power jumping to the r1 or not so bad! what do you mean about the turing?
The main difference in power is in the lower RPM range and in 130mph plus speeds. All in all, any bike that you buy is only going to do what you make it do but, the litre is definetely going to blow your mind when you roll the throttle like you do on your 6......use caution:2cents: .

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HyDrO said:
So is it alot more power jumping to the r1 or not so bad! what do you mean about the turing?
It's significantly faster in acceleration although how to quantify the difference is tough. If it could be measured in % I would guesstimate it feels about 25% faster. It just pulls harder in the lower gears where the front end feels light even when you are not trying to lift it. I notice the difference in steering @ low speeds like pulling into a parking spot or low speed manuevers. It's so cold lately that it's tough to compare them on my favorite road which is 14 miles of sweet twisties through the Kern Canyon but I can tell my familiarity with the R6 and the lack of long straights will be to the R6's advantage. Perhaps as I get more seat time on the R1 I might be able to run the canyon as fast as I can on my 6.

I'm still a little leary of just yanking on the throttle of the R1 in the lower gears (1-2 in particular) because it is so doggone powerful. I've also order another Scotts for this bike because I can tell I'm gonna need it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is so awesome but scary as hell at the same time! I dont know i love my R6 i can keep up with anything in the twisties, and the way you guys are talking about that power I think i might just stay where i am (R6) for a while... I just ride twisties and not so much straights so i think i am good. Thank you guys for all the info!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts