Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
c/o http://www.motorcycle.com

"The '98 CBR900 sports Honda's first tapered box-section aluminum swingarm, similar to those found on last year's Yamaha YZF600.
The new swingarm is significantly stronger: Torsional rigidity is up 19.5 percent, while lateral stiffness increased a whopping 37.4 percent"

·
Squid
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering 'cause I have a friend who wants to strip off that gray paint on the swingarm and polish it but he and I arn't sure what metal it's made of. That's all. You couln't pay me to ride a honda :D :D j/k

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Don't strip that paint off! The increased torsional rigidity mentioned above is derived mainly from the titanium metalflakes in the paint. In '99 Honda used a latex based paint on the swingarms as part of their "tuned flex" concept, resulting in several deaths and a subsequent "silent recall". You have been warned!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Tristan said:
Don't strip that paint off! The increased torsional rigidity mentioned above is derived mainly from the titanium metalflakes in the paint. In '99 Honda used a latex based paint on the swingarms as part of their "tuned flex" concept, resulting in several deaths and a subsequent "silent recall". You have been warned!!!
ROFLMFAO!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
guys maybe i can't read, but the question is about the 98 cbr600 and it appears that adam's reply is about the 98 900 :confused:. maybe i'm losing it, but i don't think honda paints their al swingarms. based on the paint, i'd guess steel, but can't say for sure. if it's steel have fun polishing. you can chrome plate it. e-mail the guys at http://www.fcycle.com. chris has a good supplier for chrome pieces. his friend (who has a non-internet bike shop) has a chrome 900 swingarm for sale(it maybe sold) if you wanna save $.

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 12-07-2000 at 08:43 AM]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts