Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get an idea about how much insurance is going to be. Could you guys and gals give me some numbers? if you are under 25 years old or over. good driving record. how much and with which company. and location too I guess.

I'm in Seattle, and have a SV650 lined up for $6500 out the door cash. That is only $116 over the retail price, plus sales tax, license and registration. If I wait till June, do you think I will still be able to get this price?

Thanks in advance
Rob

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
First, you're paying too much for the bike. I got my 2001 S model in Chicago for $5400 + tax (and I didn't pay that tax since I live in OH). Even in a higher demand market I'd pay no more than $5800 + tax for an '02.

You'll get a lot of responses on the insurance question, they'll be useless to you. In the "black art" of insurance, a guy identical to you living next door to you could get a quote from the same insurer on the same day for a much different rate. Don't try to apply logic to an insane system, just call around to at least 5 different companies and take the lowest quote.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SV price

it's a 2002 SV650 - I'm paying the $5800, +$584, sales tax, license and registration. then another $116 for shiping and setup. $6500 cash out the door for a 2002 SV650 is too much?

and again, if I wait till May or June, is the price likely to go up?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: SV price

Ronin369 said:

and again, if I wait till May or June, is the price likely to go up?
The longer you wait the lower the price will go. Or they will start throwing in helmets and what not. That is if they still have the bike.

From what Tristan said shopping for a bike is similar to shopping for insurance.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: SV price

Ronin369 said:
it's a 2002 SV650 - I'm paying the $5800, +$584, sales tax, license and registration. then another $116 for shiping and setup. $6500 cash out the door for a 2002 SV650 is too much?

Like I said, I'd pay $5800 + tax (max) for an '02 S model, $300 less for a standard model. $5800+tax means just that- no add ons PERIOD

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one hitch

one hitch though. they are selling the SV650 faster than they can order them. it is RARE to find one at the stores.

so it a seller's market here in Seattle... not a buyer's...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That price isn't THAT bad. I'd still argue on the shipping etc. fee.

I say if you've found the bike you want, it's not an unfair price, and they are that rare, then go with it. I would really question if they are really that rare however. Is that your personal observation or is that what the dealer said?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kill me now

observation, I have only seen one SV650 and two (at two different stores) SV650s in the last two months(2002s, there are no 2001s to be found). And the only thing holding me back is the insurance nightmare... when I get that sorted out, it's a go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ronin,

You might want to check this web site out, http://www.cyclecity1.com/. I got my 2002 SVS from them last fall for $5400. And when you join their club for $50, they shipp the bike for free. You still have to pay tax and registration there in Washington but if I remeber correctly I spent $6300 total, delivered to my door after taxes and TX registration. Kind of weird to order a motorcycle off the web but it worked out well for me and they have lots of testimonials that boost their rep (of course they do only post the good ones though).

As for insurance, Tristan and the others are spot on about how shot in the dark it is, but I would check out Progressive and Gieco to start with as they have specific motorcycle insurance. Progressive seems to be pretty much the insurance of choice down here and they have a good web site to get quotes from. I would avoid the big name auto insurers as they really don't care about cyclists and wont really give you a serious quote unless you have other insurance with them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
there are no 2001s to be found
Too bad you are not here. I was at a local shop and they had 5 01's one red and the others blue, for 5200.00. I thought that was pretty good.

Insurance is hit and miss depending on driving record, age, bike, etc. I thought I had read somewhere that the SV wasn't considered a sportbike by the ins. industry which would work in your favor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
local

I have called all over the state. Same story. $116 isn't that much money, so if I can't talk it down, at not exactly getting reamed. I have gotten one extra, a small windscreen. I would like to use the local dealer, I live right down the street from them. I think I would be more likely to get better service (I hope) when it comes time to upgrade and such, if I buy the bike from them. That really isn't the issue at this point, it's the frikkin insurance... best quote so far... $536 a year. Made in four payments, not monthly. And they want to tack on extras that I do not want or need. So I'm still looking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude,

$536 a year for full coverage on a brand new motorcycle is BEANS. You won't get much lower than that, unless you are like old or something.

Damn, I pay 250$ a year for basic coverage on a 1985 BMW k100rs, a total piece of crap... but I live in da 'hood, so...

·
Registered
79 Posts
SVinAustin said:
Ronin,

You might want to check this web site out, http://www.cyclecity1.com/. I got my 2002 SVS from them last fall for $5400. And when you join their club for $50, they shipp the bike for free.
I agree with SVinauston. I bought my SV from them in Erie, they were a great bunch to work with. I live close enough (hour) so I just picked my bike up there.

And for insurance on the SV... I'm 23 now (got the policy when I was 22) for full coverage (comp/collision/liability), year round with a $250 deductible it's costing me $500 a year through Progressive. I have no tickets, no accidents, clean record and that's my only policy through them. So it's not bad at all. Only 2 more years to go, them it's outta the risk pool!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dude, I live in Tacoma and I just went to Aurora Suzuki and got pretty much the same deal you're talking about. I got a helmet and a Givi windscreen thrown in. As for insurance, I'm 28 and mine is $380 a year. Go talk to Randy at Aurora Suzuki, he'll hook you up. By the way, the bike is great and I'm loving every minute of it.

Bill

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New bike

yeah, I bought mine from Randy too. I pick it up after the first. I got a windscreen thrown it too. I can't frikkin wait!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts