Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me set the scene. My mother has a '99 600 Shadow that she hardly rides. I've put about 9/10ths of the miles on it that it has. The plastic sides rub her thighs and hurts her legs after a long ride. They are different from her old '94 and she doesn't like it.

My Dad has an 1100 Shadow Spirit. Nice bike but he can't exactly hang with me in the curves. He wants a sportbike but doesn't really want to get rid of his Shadow either.

I have an F4. A blast in the curves, plenty of "Go-Fun", and for the most part comfortable. But I have a bad back and would occasionally like something a little more comfortable.

Enter the SV-650. This is the plan. Sell the 600 Shadow. Buy and SV. Mom has something to ride when we all ride. Dad has something that can handle curves fairly well when just he and I ride. I have something to ride when I'm riding by myself or with Rhonda on the back when my back isn't feeling so well or I just want to ride something "different" from my F4.

Well this is all find and grand except that finding a standard SV around here is damn near impossible. Either the dealers don't have them or they sell them within days of putting them on the floor.

The faired "S" model on the other hand is EVERYwhere. And in any color you want so long as its blue or red.

In Evansville they are asking $6,100 plus all the additional fees. It ends up (if you finance through them) being $148.00 a month. So I told them I'd wait until their next standard comes in (roughly one month unless they find one at another dealer and then the cost of shipping it from them comes in).

I called the only truly local dealership (luckily a suzuki shop) and asked if they had one. A faired one. The owner didn't even know they made a non-faired one. So he does some looking up and is willing to sell it to me for $5,700 bucks plus whatever the extra charges are.

Now some questions. Good price I assume seeing as its 100 bucks less that retail for the NON-faired model. BUT, is the bike anymore comfortable than my F4? My wrists start to hurt on long rides on my bike. That is why I liked the idea of a standard. Same goes for the pegs. Are they more comfortable than the F4?

That bad thing is that this totally defeats what I was looking for. A naked V-twin with handlebars. But does the price make up for that?

Opinions? Would love to hear them.

S

·
0 Posts
No, the SVS is not more comfortable than an F4. Perhaps the SV.

You Mom I doubt would like an SV, it is a standard bike and probably not as comfy as a shadow ? Or it not the comfort factor and just the plastic piece bugging her ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it depends upon how you look at it. A Shadow puts you in one position. I consider my F4 more comfortable because I can move around. Cruisers put pressure in one place and leave you there. She used to ride standards long ago (she's been riding a LONG time) and found them more comfortable than the Shadow. She rides it because she can touch the ground.

Most older standards she had to deal with tippy toeing on one foot. The SV she just tippy toes. Both toes firmly planted :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an SVS and an F4. The SVS is more comfortable to me, but it is still a sportbike position--clip ons and rear set pegs. Not extreme at all, but not a standard or cruiser rider position, either. The standard position on the regular SV will be more comfortable to most non-sportbike riders, IMO, as I think the sportbike position is one you have to get used to, just like the difference between a mountain bicycle and a road racing bicycle. So your mom may not like the SVS as much as the SV, but you will enjoy the SVS. It is a hoot to ride (but they both are). Not an F4, but fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For mom, I would go with the SV. The SVS would be too hard on the wrists fo some one switching from a Shadow. The SV is just as fun as the SVS. It, IMHO, is better than the SVS. I like the sit up and beg riding position. It just begs for monster wheelies. It's light very flickable ans will stay with any sport bike in the twisties. Just add a Mini fairing and it's comfortable all day long.

Any specifics, just ask... I own one... So I may be a little biased ;-)

If I was looking for a new bike though, it would definetly be a Nice silver Honda CBR F4i

Cheers... Mike

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The SV is more comfortable than the F4. The SV is more comfortable than the SVS but there isn't a lot of difference. I believe the clip-ons are about 1.5-2 inches lower and that is about the only difference in position. The bike is an absolute blast to ride. SVs are available but you may need to shop around some. They don't stay on the floor long because they are so popular with racers.

Buy either one and everyone in your family will enjoy it. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started out wit the SV and graduated to the 900RR. The SV was a great bike, but I think deep down I really wanted a rocket. As far as comfort went the SV couldn't be beat. The only difference between the SV and the SVS is the fairing anf set back foot pegs. The fairing looks stupid in my opinion, and yes that is only my opinion. I liked the street fighter look of the SV alot, it was also very reliable and got a lot of compliments.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Digweed said:
I started out wit the SV and graduated to the 900RR. The SV was a great bike, but I think deep down I really wanted a rocket. As far as comfort went the SV couldn't be beat. The only difference between the SV and the SVS is the fairing anf set back foot pegs. The fairing looks stupid in my opinion, and yes that is only my opinion. I liked the street fighter look of the SV alot, it was also very reliable and got a lot of compliments.
Don't forget the SVS has clip-ons and they are lower. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've sat on an SVS. Liked it but just sitting on one doesn't tell you how it rides or feels while riding. Have yet to find an SVS. Still looking though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SV versus SVS ergonomics

RCjohn said:
The SV is more comfortable than the SVS but there isn't a lot of difference. I believe the clip-ons are about 1.5-2 inches lower and that is about the only difference in position.
Actually the bars on the SVS are in the neighborhood of three inches lower. In addition, the pegs are up and back. The riding position is substantially sportier, enough so to be uncomfortable sitting in traffic or riding for extended periods. The difference is very noticable.

The upside is that the change in riding position makes the SVS more planted in the corners. If you want to carve tight twisties, it rocks.

Where the SVS is a big win over the SV in comfort is high-speed cruising; the fairing keeps the wind off of your chest so you can zip along all day at 90mph (assuming your legs can take it; I need a stretch every couple of hours).

jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: SV versus SVS ergonomics

jimf said:

The upside is that the change in riding position makes the SVS more planted in the corners. If you want to carve tight twisties, it rocks.

jim
Don't reckon I need that. I've got an F4 :)

Side note, I'm STILL looking for a damn SV-650 standard. None of the shops are holding them without money down and I don't want to put money down on a bike I'm not certain I want. I DID get a phone call telling me one was in. Went down the next day and the dang thing had already sold. ARGH!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would suggest going with the standard SV if you will have people coming off of cruisers. While I usually go for the sport bike thing, this time I bought the standard SV and I love it. No wrist pain (no matter how long the ride!) but of course your butt can get tired but that happens on any bike. The SV handles as well as most of the sportbikes I've ridden once you get used to the different seating position and the bars make for good leverage allowing quick transitions.
Although I really like the SVS, I'm VERY happy with the SV.

Just my two cents.

PS- Since you are in Indiana. When I was told by EVERY dealer in Indianapolis that it was completely IMPOSSIBLE to get an SV (Back in '99, when they first came out). I ended up calling MAX PITTS in Peru Indiana, they were very helpfull and found one down in Evansville for me. SInce I live between Evansville and Peru, they actually delivered the bike to my house, I handed them a check! Done deal! I got it for $5600 tax & license etc. included. I never did actually meet the salesman that sold it to me. Of course I would only do this type of transaction on a NEW motorcycle, but give them a call. They may be able to help you out.

JON

1 - 13 of 13 Posts