Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a very interesting year for Suzuki to say the least. Nobody has come out and said it, but from what it looks like so far, Suzuki is going to have the highest rear wheel horsepower for the 600, 750, 1000, AND the ZX-12, XX, what I call the big-ass-sportbike class, the Hayabusa. R6, R1, both dethroned in one year it would appear. I think it's great, this just means in 2002, we will see the other companies stepping up :D As far as around the track, many people complain that they all feel the same, with just more horsepower, but, it's a good track design, so...I think that is more bike mag whining, than a real problem.

Anyhow, I am sure this will spark up some debate, but, it would appear that Suzuki is going to be the bike to have, for any class this year (when it comes to raw power and track prowess).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Having been a victim of Suzuki's habit of using their clientele test their product, I have to agree with BK. I wish they would finish the R&D cycle (A la Honda) before releasing something to the public.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What problems have you all had? I hear all of these folks on the message boards talk about this, but I have never met anyone in real life who have had problems.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
As far as the Hayabusa and the other big boys continuing to push the envelope,will the Feds step in as rumoured and put limits on the top speed capabilites of these bike as equiped from the factory?? This will be interesting to watch too. I think they are considering doing this in Europe too.

JIM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, personally, I had a horrible tank slapper on my TL1000R that could have been prevented by properly engineered and tested suspension. The result was a pretty bad wreck that cost me a broken elbow and a lot of pain. The new GSXR has had problems like a grenading tranny. They really need to finish developement before release. You don't hear about Hondas having these types of problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The R1 has had its batch of recalls but has also failed to recall the most dangerous defect of all, the exploding rear hub! Honda was doing great until the 929 had a small fuel line and then the more serious clutch recall. That's what you get for trying to keep up with the competition by pushing out a bike before its time.

Now Honda’s new RC51 has been out for almost a year now, with no recalls. I’m sure that bike has been in development far longer than the 929 and wasn’t released until it was ready.

My ’98 900RR has had ZERO defects and the best 900RR Honda has ever build. I’m glad they don’t call the new bike a 900RR as I think the 929 strays from the character and craftsmanship of its predecessors.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well look who showed their face!

Glad to see you posting Kahuna! BTW, even with all the hot new models out, Im very satisfied with my 99RR. Like you said, I also have not had ANY defects or problems and Im thankfull.

I always wondered why Suzukis came standard with a steering dampner. To me that is saying that they are compensating for bad geometry. Isnt it??

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
By that logic all racebikes are "compensating for bad geometry" huh? Same for the 916/996/748?
I'm still very leery about Suzy's quality issues, but steering dampers have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Tristan, First let me say that I am, by NO means, any kind of Steering geometry expert. Im just wondering really.

I can understand for severe conditions, such as racing, that a steering damper be necessary. But why does Suzuki put them on as standard equipment on their bikes? It just seems like a cover-up to me.

Here is where Im coming from: When I was looking into a 600 class bike, I got to test ride a GSXR600 and the damn thing had head shake on the test ride! Then I knew I was on the wrong path and headed straight for the Honda dealer :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
BMW uses steering dampers on their bikes and they are about as good as it gets when it comes to suspension and geometry. I agree, that isn't the problem. Every manufacturer has production problems, some models worse than others, and I don't think any make is immune. Hey, you could be riding a Buell!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Head shake when? Head shake while under hard throttle is generally just from when the front wheel is hovering over the ground, or almost all the weight is off of it. You can't really design a bike to compensate for the light front wheel, so there is where the steering damper comes in. It also prevents tank slappers, something that will happen on every bike out there without a steering damper. Basically every race bike has a steering damper, and Suzuki makes race bikes. Hence the high pegs, forward leaning riding position, etc.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Within a couple of years all of these "superbikes" and "open class" sportbikes will come with steering dampers standard. That is my prediction. The first thing guys typically do to improve handling is to jack up the back and/or lower the front. With the steeper steering angle you will get head shake quicker and more violent. This subject does get more technical and I can't explain it. Suzuki did not do enough R&D on the TL so to compensate they started putting steering dampers on them. It is not such a bad thing. I wish Honda would have put one on the RCs. RC owners are saying that headshakes becomes a big issue even just by lowering the front around 3mm. I haven't done it yet so I don't know for sure but I do know that the bike can put you into a mild head shake just with my stock engine and my riding style.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Actually Rob, the headshake I described on the GSXR600 happened on Deceleration. I have gotten the headshake under acceleration you describe a few times when I had a F4.

But anyway, I guess My assumption was wrong that a damper should not be needed on a stock bike....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoa, while braking?! or just backing off? That would scare the heck outta me, if the front end started dancing while clamping down :D That sounds more like a warped front rotor or bent rim, forks, etc, if it was under braking. I would have to say that is not normal HondaNut.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
This was a brand new bike. I cant imagine warped rotors, but it was not under braking anyway, just throttle off... I had always been a Honda guy, and I dont know what the heck I was doing at Suzuki, but after that test ride, I have never though twice about anything else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Slappers also happen when the bike tries to follow a sine wave. Yes, Suzuki put a dampener on the TL, but it was a crappy one, and obviously not up to task! In the case of my incident, I was traveling on a bumpy freeway at about 60-65mph.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I find that "headshake" is necessary to avoid getting those unsightly drops on your trousers after urinating. "Tankslappers" are usually caused by riding in loose-fit jeans and boxers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts