Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been riding cycles for a couple years now and I think it is about time I learn what I need to do with my suspension. I have a '97 GSXR-600 and I have never touched any thing related to the suspension on it. I have read about how to dial it in for track use, but for the street I don't hear that much. I would say I am a semi-aggressive street rider. I would love to be able to start changing things and knowing what the results will be, when I will feel the changes (high speed, low speed, bumps, turns, etc). WHEW...Thanks for any info.

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there. I'm not a suspension guru by any means, but I've been riding for a long time (IMO), so I'd like to think that I know a little about the subject. For STREET use, I know that this also includes some twisties, but I'm not talking track use, I've found that a lot of how much twiddling w/the settings you must do depends upon two things, your weight, and your level of aggressiveness. I raised the rear spring preload on my bike one notch, and increased the rebound damping one notch, and I swear it made all the difference in the world. By my "seat of the pants" meter, it made the difference between being able to take a certain corner at 75, and the same corner at 85, w/the bike feeling very stable. Some may disagree, but here's how I do things...change one thing and one thing only at a time. Change the one thing, and ride the piss out of it and see how it feels. If you like it, great, if you don't, change it back and then change something else. If you change more than one thing at the same time, you won't be able to determine what you changed that is making a difference. Make sense? Hope this helps...good luck.

------------------
Cosmo
'97 Katana 750

·
Registered
6 Posts
**********Caution****************************
Sorry for being dramatic, but let me explain.
First, let me say that Cosmo is DEAD ON!!! Try adjusting a setting up or down at a time and see how you like it....MAybe even write down the settings BEFORE you start dicking around with it!!!I'll tell you what happened to me and then you can make your own educated judgement...I adjusted the dampening rate and took a ride on rt22 in PA over the bridge...Some REALLY twisty bumpy roads...I almost lost it!!!!I hit a bump going around a turn while leaned over...The best way I can describe it was, it seemed like the tire didn't come back down quick enough(rebound)...Talk about dumping in your shorts!!!EVERY dealer tech I EVER talked to about this told me the same thing...BE REALLY CAREFUL ADJUSTING your suspension...Some thing you can look for are, have an educated friend help you out with this....sit on your bike and have him/her note how much the bike sags when you get on...Then make adjustments to height accordingly..One of the key elements in handlling is keeping the bike level...lets say my fat a$$ was to get on your bike, the back would sink down and the front would come up...BAD for handling...This is one time you don't want a bike to look like a chopper.Hope that little bit of info helps...BE SAFE !!!!Jimmy G

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody have any suggestions for suspension set up for a R6. I am 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs.
Right now i run the following setup but i don't have much experience so any input would be appreciated.

FRONT
Preload: 4 lines showing
Rebound: 5 out from full in
Comp: 5 out from full in

REAR
Preload 2 from max
Rebound: stock
Comp: 4 out from full in

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with changing one variable at a time. One exception, rebound needs to be at least "as fast" as compression (in my experience on an F4). If its not your bike will ratchet down over bumpy roads when compressed(decreasing your ground clearance) because the wheel is not returning as quickly as it is being copmressed.

This is only my experience. I always ride the same quiet road after cahnging something to test it. In full gear, i might add.

Try "Sport Bike Performance Handbook" by Kevin Cameron. great technical guide.

Good Luck,
Ben

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts