Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a Literbike in my future would be a really bad idea. I'm not ready to get rid of my Z750, but I feel like a literbike might make a nice challenge down the road, whether as a second bike or a replacement (but I can't see getting rid of my current bike). I'm just wondering whether 5000 or 6000 mi. on a 750 would make the literbike transition a dangerous proposition or not.

Also, I probably will talk myself out of it anyway, as a literbike on the street seems like overkill. My current bike has more usable power than I can make use of 95% of the time anyway.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I rode my friends 954rr, I like it. Lots of power. If you can tame the power and know when to use it, you should be good. Its all about wisdom and brains, not brains splattered over the road.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would first try my luck with new 600s or 2000+ GSXR750 before stepping into literbike. Remember, the Z750 is tamer than most 2000+ 600s in terms of peak power. It's not the CC that is alarming, but power to weight ratio. I guess you could be alright on an older literbike that puts out 110 HP and weighs over 460 lbs, like CBR900RR for example. It's still handful but rideable, but the new literbikes are absolutely insane.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Possibly you are sort of jumping the gun. Like I really do not know how long you have been riding & what sort of bikes. Remember after the litre bike all you can do for engine size is something like a HD though you will be loosing out in actual HP.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Actually, the power delivery on the 05 gixxer 1k is really nice, very smooth and predictable..that's not to say everyone should run out and buy one..

IMHO...5 or 6k miles isn't all that much..I'd give yourself another season on your current steed....maybe ride a 750, or a 636 Kaw at some point just to get a feel of how they ride..Oh, you might think about the New Triumph 675...I've seen dyno graphs..it's sweet!:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
JBaz said:
Its all about wisdom and brains, not brains splattered over the road.
Concur...If you want one then get one, but don't do it just cause you think you should upgrade. You said it yourself...you can't even get all of your Z to the ground. If you feel the need for speed, then get to the track.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my question is why do you want one?
Good point...I don't really, I guess I was just tossing the idea around for fun. In all likelihood I probably won't get another bike; if I did though I do like the 636s quite a bit, but haven't ridden one.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'd say after 15k miles you should be ready for it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
JBaz said:
I rode my friends 954rr, I like it. Lots of power. If you can tame the power and know when to use it, you should be good. Its all about wisdom and brains, not brains splattered over the road.

954rr does not compare to todays 1000's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very, very true.... the old 1k bikes don't hold a candle to the ones made in the last year or two. Different animals.

Look... I upgraded to a 996 after 14 years of riding for one reason.... I'm getting fat (I tell myself I'm just getting bigger.... but damnit... I'm over 230 now....) so my 750 just wasn't cutting it... too much gear shifting on the mountain twisties....

Getting onto a modern 750 is strapping your a$$ to a rocket.... the litre is awesome for the track, but really.... useless out in the real world.

Keep riding that 750.... or upgrade to somthing like the 636 (great bike) or the suzi 750... plenty of power.... (as much as a five year old 1k) and the flikability you DON'T get in a litre.

Besides.... somthing about the scream you get at 14,000 RPM....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
halbard said:
the suzi 750... plenty of power.... (as much as a five year old 1k) and the flikability you DON'T get in a litre.
So the extra 20lbs just out and kill flickability?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know that suzuki's gsxr1K is listed dry at 365lbs....

that's darn close to the 600 class.... and it's moving at least 50+ hp more on the 1K. Handling is more close to a 600 class bike each year. So to make it short and sweet.... yes a 1K is a major difference from an older 750... it's prob lighter than what your used to as well.... and will out handle an older 750 with ease. Even with the average rider on board.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
well... in a physics way, no. In the world.... I've seen alot of people use the extra power that litre gives them as a way to overcompensate and not work on riding skills. Not saying that would be the case here... but more people on big bikes enter a corner slow, and pull hard on the out rather then working on their skills. Also.... the bike is bigger... and is (slightly...) less manuverable in a very real sence....

After years on two wheels.... the differance is slight (but yes... it's there) after 6k miles on a 750 (hell.... thats half a year for me....) the differance would be huge!

Of course.... thats comparing an 04 to an 04... 05 to 05, etc. True... coming from an old 750 to a modern litre... major handeling improvement....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts