Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I applied had an interview for a new job yesterday.... nailed it!Got offered the job today. Here is the surprising part, I thought it would pay a little more then what I am making now... nope..... DOUBLE what I am making now! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyone else ever surprised from a job offer where you got offered more then you thought? How did you restrain yourself from doing a backflip or sound too anxious?

·
Registered
515 Posts
way to go jester :thumb:

you can celebrate by giving me half of your first paycheck, a fourth of the 2nd one, and then an eigth of the third one, that way i can ease you into such a big change in your salary :twofinger

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lemme think..... NO! :twofinger

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Jester-

Don't let anyone at your new company know you're a motorcycle enthusiast that posts on this forum They'll see their error and lower their offer!

I've been offered jobs with a decent jump in compensation, but I always respond a day later with a reasonable counter-offer seeking a little something not mentioned in earlier negotiations. If it isn't a crazy request, the new company will generally meet the request to start things out on firm footing.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Where you working now puddin ?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
been there and made out pretty good. not quite double, but close. never had much luck negotiating stuff though. allot of companies these days have set policies that they tend not to stray from.

congrats!:thumb:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jester said:
Lemme think..... NO! :twofinger
aww crap, well it was worth a try :D

didn't you need new fairings for your vfr? i'm sure this will help :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Never had that sort of luck, but then I basically was self-employeed or on a job for a short while just to fill in & so the low pay. For instance one of three that owner a m/c shop & also worked in a mens clothing store, or part owner of a sport shop along with being an Instrument man, to the same sport shop & employeed by the wardens of the Banff National Park in Alberta, Cdn.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Smitty has successfully held 572 different jobs during his working years. That has to count for something! :D

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Congrats, Jester! :thumbs2:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late response. I will be working at a window manufacturing company that only deals with contractors. Basically, I will be doing inventory/IT Department/Special Orders/Graphic Design/On Site EMT. So it's going to be fun and a challenge. Thanks for all the kind words. Its nice to finally feel good about some thing in life. :thumb:

·
Registered
447 Posts
gratz on the new job its always nice to see when someone get in a good postion.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I like how the topic of this thread is "surpired". And they hired you for what?:twofinger

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tippmann said:
I like how the topic of this thread is "surpired". And they hired you for what?:twofinger
Shut up and go molest a squirrel! :finger:

:twofinger

In my own defense I was too happy to give a crap what I titled it :p !

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Good for you! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
My surprise was in some cases when the foremen actually requsted the firm to pay me "danger pay". Because I had no fear of height, would repell down to do any piece of work, or dive deep in the cold, cold water to remove something or some other crazy things I was willing to do.

As an Instrument Man on the Trans-Cdn hwy, at the beginning days, the head engineer realized instead of being inside, during the cold winter months working on figures, he had a crew that would work outside in the coldest of weather AND all three of use would go out & do our work on skies instead of sinking hip deep in the snow & so cover ground so much faster then others could. It was not officially danger pay, but hike in money, during those times, to make up for what we could do in said time for said hrs or days or weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts