Sportbike World banner

Superhawk Cutting-Out

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Rug Burn 
G
#1 ·
My '99 Superhawk has cut out on me several times now while coasting with the clutch in. I read about this problem on the VTR1000 website, but didn't find any intelligent solutions (one of the solutions was "Don't do that, then", so save me the grief).

In all instances, the bike was thoroughly warmed up, i.e., I had been riding for a good while. Additionally, I checked the idle speed and it is right at about 1200RPM, which I believe is what the manual states as being correct. In each case, I just thumbed the starter button and it started right up.

Any other VTR owners experience this problem? Any advice for a cure short of taking it in to the shop? Should I just increase the idle speed, to say 1300?

Thanks.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

See less See more
#2 ·
Until my last rejet and carb sync, mine was stalling often when cold. If yours stalls even when hot, yes, I'd up the idle.
And just why the hell are you coasting around with the clutch in? A little posing perhaps? The chicks at the 7/11 will be more impressed if you blip the throttle to around 7K repeatedly anyway, just make sure and order a case of clutch plates now.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

#3 ·
Geez Tristan, don't tell him to blip the throttle. It will scare the shit out of him and he will sell it and get a Ninja 250. :p :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, if it is doing this with idle set at the recommended setting then raising it would be treating symptoms and not the problem. No offense. If tweaking the idle up just a little works then what the hell, go for it.

It could be bad gas. In the tank that is... not you. ;)

Putting it in the shop would suck. Of course you could put Nitrous on it. :rolleyes:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

G
#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
<snip>
And just why the hell are you coasting around with the clutch in? <snip>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have known that saying "save me the grief" was pointless with you hanging around Tristan. ;)

John, as for the bad gas, I did mix Chevron and Shell, so maybe it's that gel problem I keep hearing about? :D

Thanks for the serious input amidst the razzing. LMAO about the 250s and the PC! I'll try adjusting the idle up by 100, and see if that helps.

Oh, and FWIW, in my defense, I am not talking about long coasting. More like when having to stop suddenly for traffic, let off throttle, pull the clutch in, hit the brakes, and before I can downshift, it stalls. Kinda scary when the cage behind me is having to stop quick too, i.e., my escape route doesn't do me much good if the bike ain't running.

------------------
Pete
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

#6 ·
Hey Pete, my Hawk used to do the same thing. Definitely up the idle a little bit, but rest assured, it will get better with time. With the largest carbs ever put on a production bike, the Hawk can be a little tempermental when the air/fuel flow gets radically disturbed. One solution is to remember to keep the throttle cracked when you clutch it, let the rev's stabilize then go to idle. The idle adjustment should take care of the problem though. If you have anymore difficulties, check this website for some more ideas: http://zikzak.zikzak.net/~zik/vtr/
From your earlier post, it sounds like you may have already been here, but just in case...
If I can suggest one simple aftermarket upgrade that really multiplies the fun-factor, put a new drive sprocket with one less tooth on the bike. You won't regret it! Good luck bro...

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

G
#7 ·
Pilot, many thanks!

------------------
Pete

G
#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
Clark, ROFLMAO!! :D :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shut up John, it wasn't THAT funny! :D

Clark, I have "something" for you to pedal! :D

------------------
Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited August 24, 2000).]

#11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:

Clark, I have "something" for you to pedal! :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thanks Pete, but I'm sure Group23 would love to take your "Whizzer" for a ride, he's been begging to ride my "Gagya" :D :D

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

G
#13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spitfire:

Ahhhhhhhh..........I feel better now. :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the ol' inferiority complex at work. Gotta demean others to get your little fix of self-esteem to help you make it through the day, eh Spitfire? :p

------------------
Pete

#16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Yep, the ol' inferiority complex at work. Gotta demean others to get your little fix of self-esteem to help you make it through the day, eh Spitfire? :p BTW, Honda's Suck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, you couldn't be more right. :D

------------------

G
#17 ·
Alright Spitfawr (fawr is how we say fire in the South), that little quote trick of yours is getting stale; you need to come up with some new material. :D

------------------
Pete

#19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spitfire:
Huh........you're just jealous 'cause I thought of it first. :D You're right, though - I need to get rid of this Kaw and get one of those bad ass Honda's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Pete, this is pretty lame. :D

------------------

Clark

G
#20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:
You're right Pete, Spitfire is pretty lame, just like the bike he rides. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more with ya Clark. :D

------------------
Pete

#23 ·
Huh...Kaw riders are losers

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D You're idea eh ;)

------------------

Clark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.