Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my bike for a quick errand today. It began with a quick trip to the gas station just a few blocks away to top off the tank. I then proceeded to the nearest Burger King, which happened to be just another couple blocks down the road. I went in to order, and it took about 10 minutes before I was able to hit the road again on the bike. As I was waiting at the stoplight by the B-King, the engine stumbled once very hard amidst an otherwise smooth idle from what was clearly the engine backfiring through the carb(s). The stumble was so hard that the bike lurched slightly to the side from the torque effect of the rapid change in engine speed. The bike ran fine after that, and I'm puzzled what could've caused that backfire. The bike should be in a very healthy state of tune (it has all of 400 miles on the odometer - 300 miles is specified in the manual for break-in). Have any other VTR owners experienced this sort of thing? Was it the short trips that didn't allow the engine to warm fully? This is my first V-twin, as all my other bikes have been 4-cyls and a single.

This bike is definitely an acquired taste. Although I love the TORQUE, I do miss the smoothness of the inline fours.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of a performance V-Twin. The engine is naturally quirky, but there's nothing wrong. Mine coughs through the carb all the time. Because of the giant carbs, they're very susceptible to little blips in the throttle and changes in airflow. Try the following link for a better explanation of what's going on, and any other problems you might run into:
www.zikzak.net/~zik/vtr/faqserve/cache/14.html

The biggest thing to remember is it's a Honda, so don't sweat it. Good luck...

------------------
We don't know where we're going, but we're making good time!...STC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fartin through the massive carbs........

Hell my bike didn't have a break in. I left the dealership on one D207. But the only time that my bike farts thru the huey carbs is when its not up to temp or the air temp is below 30' degres. Which by the way is normal morning temp in spring in Michigan. But You got to love a bike that farts growls and flies all in one day....

Harrynuts...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr. Diablo, Corbin VTR and VTRpilot are correct. The Big coffee-can sized pistons can do strange things to the incoming fuel. Thus the occasional hiccups! Just be prepared for these occasional hiccup when you are leaving a stop light! It can make you look and feel like a total novice.... But all in all its a small price to pay for the incredible motor!

Tony Lopez

1 - 5 of 5 Posts