Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been home from school now for about 2 weeks, and I have been out looking for a job everyday since, and I still am not employed. This has never happened before and its very frustrating.

My two options to myself were to find a job that A) Had something to do with my field of study or B) Made me a rediculous amount of money.

Its to the point now where I would take anything I can get. I have filled out over 25 applications so far and havent heard a word. Im blaming it on the economy and my amazing ability to procrastinate. I am kind of limited however seeing how I cannot get a job bartending since no liscence (and I need income to go to bartending school), no experiance waitoring (everywhere requires experiance), and im only available to work till Sept.

Last year this time I was making upwards of $500 a week with Vector Marketing Corp., but I really dont want to go back to that.

So where did you all work while you were in school?

Kyle

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I worked at the Library for the city as a computer tech. :)

Seeing as how I LOVE to read and also can't stay away from a computer for very long it was a GREAT job, but didn't pay worth a damn.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, applied there already :eek:

Kyle

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can wait tables. You just need to lie about your experience. And NEVER let on that you are leaving at the end of summer. Both of these lies are traditional (and expected) in the realm of server arts.
As for a "real" job... I didn't get one until I was 27. :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
just take a sign and get an extra helmet and on the sign put motorcycle rides $5.00. or get one that says will do wheelies for food:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
just take a sign and get an extra helmet and on the sign put motorcycle rides $5.00. or get one that says will do wheelies for food:D
In front of the local girls-only school.... important item. ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha... great idea! However I think I would accept other forms of payment for the ride :cool:

And yes I have started lying... I dont know what else to do.

Kyle

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
limegreen6R said:
In front of the local girls-only school.... important item. ;)
I was thinking rides home from the beach ;)

Kyle

·
Registered
129 Posts
I vote for lying.

I would never put on a application that I was only looking for a summer job. Just tell them you are looking for a permanant position and then make up an excuse when school starts to quit. That is probably why you have not been getting calls.

Also have you tried registering at any temp agencies? If you work up a really good resume talking about computer experience maybe you can get a job doing assembly work or something. I personally always had good luck with temp agencies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I worked at Ford Motor.

They used to hire hundreds of summer replacements to cover the work force taking vacation time over the summer. Excellent pay, full medical, dental, etc. You could often work double shifts if you wanted and everything over 8hrs in one day was 1½. Sat and sunday paid lots of premiums. Boring assembly line work, often pretty hot, but you got moved around so at least something 'new' to do.

I have used the temp agencies and if you are good to them they can keep you pretty busy. Had some real interesting jobs with them, some not so interesting.:eek:

Good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got a "job" today. More of like an insult to my intelligence and a form of discrimination but im not in the mood to battle over that. My friend, Gina was hired today at Lonestar Restaurant and Saloon. Gina is very attractive. The manager is a young guy. I go to apply to the same position, he offers me the kitchen, washing dishes.

I took it just because its money that I need right now. But I am going to continue looking for a better job. Im working on some connections I have in the county prosecuters office on monday. If not there then I will be hunting down a good temp agency around here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kyle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, money is money

And besides, somebody has to do it. Something better will come along.:D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, but the upside to it all is that they only hire attractive young vixens to waitress....;)

And someone is bound to need a ride home one night

Kyle

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Around here there are "jobs" if you're willing to work long hours and recieve low pay. I got a job this summer at a factory that builds roof trusses for 7.00/hr. Its hot, loud, and people yell at you all the time. But hey, its 2 mins away from my house.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally!

Well like your mom always said... "patience pays off". In my case I call it persistance. Either way I finally got a job. I realized that I didnt want to be stuck in my hometown all summer (for numerous reasons) and that I want to live at the beach again like I did when I was "growing up".

So I got a place to live in Ocean City NJ, nice little one bedroom deal, 4 blocks from the beach. And my "job"... riding a waverunner all day at Mad Beach's Beasley's Point Sea Doo. Now bash waverunning all you want, but remember, ill be getting paid to ride one:twofinger

Anyway im happy now, once the mustang is sold ill have a bike and then I dont think life will get any better!

kyle

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Some of us older riders/people remember when we worked for minimum wages or less, washing dishes, digging ditches, sweeping floors, cleaning washrooms, etc.
It is not always that you can have your cake & eat it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Smitty said:

It is not always that you can have your cake & eat it.
I agree... but im gonna try this time ;-)

Kyle

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Kyle: Looks as if you have made it this time.

My congratulations.
I got to thinking of back in '74 when I was about to sell my orchard & needed a surveyor to locate all the corner posts.
Chap was not able to come out as his rod-chain man had quit. So I told him, that having been an Instrument Man on the Trans-Cdn Hwy I would do the rod-chain man work.
We spent two days on that & he asked me if I could help him on another day plus job, so I did. Up comes the question of what will I do in selling the farm & said "Really have no idea yet" so he pointed out I seemed to like the work & would I be willing to work for him at the lowly $3.00 pr hr. That is below what I paid people to work on my orchard, but I thought what the 'ell.
Stuck with him for 3 yrs & by the 2nd yr & loosing his draftsman & I also had some(?) drafting skills we both did the same work & he upped my wage to $7.00. I would have stuck with him, but an old injury blew my knee & my Doc ordered me off the job.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would love to be working for the summer, then going back to school. Unfortunately, being the hard-headed kind of guy I am, I did it backwards. Now I go to school while I work. What a pain. Whatever else you do, finish school. Been there, didn't do that, paying for it now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts