Sportbike World banner

Suggestions on tires for my '03 R1

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DOHCme 
#1 ·
I just bought an '03 Silver and flat Black R1 last week. The bike is in exquisite condition and I'd prefer to keep that shiny side up.

It came stock with Dunlop D208zr's on it. The back tire is shot (showing threads), and the front tire looks to be cupped. I'm wanting suggestions on what would be the best replacement tires for the bike.

I am not extreme in my riding style, but I will take the bike into some quick turns and up to some mountain roads once in a while. I don't know if it's best to get more of a sport touring tire like I had on my last bike (600R) for better mileage or a stickier tire since the bike is so much more powerful and still 30 pounds lighter.

So far I have been looking at the D208's again because they are the best price, but I've also been interested in the Michelin Pilot Roads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on these or any other tire you think would be better.

#2 ·
try diablos. You can get a set for like $230 online. Milage tires they are not, but oh so much fun.

#3 ·
i got bout 3k on my diablos but now ive got corsas on.. i love pirelli..

some people swear by powers but i wasnt impressed withem.. they seem pretty hard when you start to push the bike a little bit.. just my opinion..

all bout technique and riding style i guess..

the 208s seem to tear up on big bores.. i would go with pirelli or maybe even try some avons.. ive heard great reviews from the avon azaro..

#4 ·
Pilot Powers, on my 6th set, run a set for the street, and a set on the track, went to a pilot race on the track, then back to the power, liked it better.

Heres my out look on the situation, whether you run pirelli, mich.,avon,etc. Don't go with a sport tuoring, and don't let price make your decision, i would pay double for tires if they stuck better, just a really cheap added insurance of knowing the tires are gonna be there when you need them.

P.S. i get between 3000, and 4000 on a rear power on street, and about 7000 on a front. Very compareble to all others.:2cents:

#5 ·
izzybo69 said:
Pilot Powers, on my 6th set, run a set for the street, and a set on the track, went to a pilot race on the track, then back to the power, liked it better.

Heres my out look on the situation, whether you run pirelli, mich.,avon,etc. Don't go with a sport tuoring, and don't let price make your decision, i would pay double for tires if they stuck better, just a really cheap added insurance of knowing the tires are gonna be there when you need them.

P.S. i get between 3000, and 4000 on a rear power on street, and about 7000 on a front. Very compareble to all others.:2cents:
Yup. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.