Sportbike World banner

suggestions for on-bike camera or helmet cam type

4K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  Mudpuppy 
#1 ·
so im in the market for a cam system. something like this http://www.atc2k.com/

for thoise of you that have cams or know some good and not too expensive cams post them up. ill be using for trackdays, our group rides and when im out west snowboarding (so water proof/resistant is a top priority).

#6 ·
snake will do. im going to be pulling the trigger tonight most likely on the one i listed in my 1st post. the guy hasnt gotten back to me in 2 days about the one w/4 sd cards, so ill grab one off egay, then buy a few sd cards seperately. egay has a few for sale for around 110.00 or so.

heres a sample vid of the cam system taken at jennings (damn that looks like a fun technicle track!!!!!!!). not me, but someone posted this on another site of the cam in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXRCcbXy5Xk

#8 ·
Yes, It is a standalone. It uses SD cards as the write medium.

I only see one thing (or more to the point, I don't see) that would make me a bit nervous. It does not say what format it captures in. Since it uses SD as the medium, I would assume it is MPEG4, like most other handheld devices. Not a good format for extensive editing. Extremely compressed = High Loss. The picture quality on the videos being posted support my theory.

Other than that... the camera looks decent. 480 Res.

If it were me looking, though, I'd keep looking. Probably too late now, though. Let me know how you like it.

#9 ·
actually since it was loaded to you tube, they automatically compress the image, thus producing a crappy image. if i had my own host site (that didnt compress like you tube), the video quality would be alot better.

#10 · (Edited)
I researched them before I bought one. I was very skeptical. It writes in .avi format. I can live with not so great quality. for $150, what do you want? Especially since it is a stand alone. I had to get a stand alone since I was disappointed to find out that my MiniDV cam doesn't support a/v inputs or a remote switch.

I meant to mount it on the bike today to show my morning commute, but ran out of time to set it up. I am running the track at BeaveRun on Saturday, I think I am mounting it for that day.

The video you posted.... that guy needs to brace his upper fairing a little more. How did you know that it was done with the atc2k?

#13 ·
I researched them before I bought one. I was very skeptical. It writes in .avi format. I can live with not so great quality. for $150, what do you want? Especially since it is a stand alone. I had to get a stand alone since I was disappointed to find out that my MiniDV cam doesn't support a/v inputs or a remote switch.

I meant to mount it on the bike today to show my morning commute, but ran out of time to set it up. I am running the track at BeaveRun on Saturday, I think I am mounting it for that day.

The video you posted.... that guy needs to brace his upper fairing a little more. How did you know that it was done with the atc2k?

he posted up a vid clip on the for sale thread of the guys cam system i want to buy. if the buyer would ever check his damn fs thread!!! got some loot burning a hole in my pocket. ive been on a spending spree lately, new agv suit, ordered my back protector today, new ten kate factory shirt (from japan), new cam system (hopefully will buy it today) and i think i have a few more goodies on their way. oh, and i might do sunday's trackday as well next week. one day might just be a big tease, and i know ill want to do sundays as well.

#12 ·
Here is a quote I found on the site for it.

Helmet Cam Central said:
Let’s talk about video and compression quality for the ATC2K. What I know is from the manual and various bits on the web. The Manual also states that the output files are AVI, but no reference to the codec. Looking at the output files it appears the codec is Motion JPEG (not to be confused with MPEG) with a video bitrate of 4954 kbps (assuming best quality). Oh yeah, it captures mono audio as well at 8Khz @ 64 kbps. Not sure how it will handle wind noise, but they probably have that figured out. M-JPEG is create for capturing motion as each frame is compressed individually and stored. I’m assuming that by jumping to 30fps they found a new compression chipset with some more juice.

#14 ·
I really need to get on it and get this camera tested. Reading the reviews on helmet cam central, people weren't too satisfied. They also said what do you want for $100. I was almost going to buy a few ATC2K's becuase I didn't expect to pay so little for a camera. I expected to pay $250 - $300.

There are other cameras out there by them. The ATC3K and ATC5K.

Looking at different sites, there are some great cam systems out there. I don't need MotoGP cam system, just something that is decent. I am hoping that is what teh ATC2K will be. Hell, if it's a clear pic I am will be more than satisfied.

#15 ·
The only reservations I'd have about the whole thing is the write process. I've had problems with a few SD cards (different brands, different capacities) that results in random losses of information. Keep in mind, I do not buy bottom line stuff when it comes to function (electronics, cars, bikes, firearms... I don't skimp. Everything else...meh). So the fact that these write directly to an SD card that is going to be subjected to vibration, etc... I dunno. But I am anxious to hear how it works out.

#18 ·
Keep in mind, I do not buy bottom line stuff when it comes to function (electronics, cars, bikes, firearms... I don't skimp.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don't mean to be nit-picky or anything, but you are looking at a $150 standalone camera instead of using a separate bullet cam and MiniDV Writing Medium. I think that alone would contradict your last statement.

:eyebrows:

I definitely agree with Dues and snake on the HD/DVD mediums... Not reliable for shock resistance at all. I've had very bad experiences. HDs especially. They do not use new write sources every time, but rather, are reused. If a bump were to jab the needle through a hard drive, your camcorder is done.

Anyway... HD/DVDs are designed for one specific purpose anyway... point-and-shoot people who want to take them on vacations, then come home and show everyone. The sources are usually hard to edit (And/or have a large loss of information... DVDs write in MPEG2 Compression) on top of everything else. It's just not something I would even consider for the purpose being discussed presently.

#19 ·
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don't mean to be nit-picky or anything, but you are looking at a $150 standalone camera instead of using a separate bullet cam and MiniDV Writing Medium. I think that alone would contradict your last statement.
I liked you better when you were gone.

Anyways, inexpensive stuff is not always "cheap" in quality. That's why I'm waiting to hear back about how this camera performs.

#16 ·
I also do not buy bottom shelf things. I would rather pay more for something knowing that it will last and has better quality. This was just something I figured I would try out to see how these things even work.

I trusst the write process of the SD card than other medias like DVD and HD cams. I have talked toa few people that run cam systems on their bike and they say that SD is the best way to go and if you have to use a bullet cam connected to a camcorder, MiniDV is the way to go. From what I understand is that there is too much vibration for the DVD and HD's writer to insure integrity of the data.

I will know soon enough. Like I said I just need to stop slacking and get the camera mount on the bike or on my helmet for testing purposes. No better time to test than the track day tomorrow.

#17 ·
I definitely wouldn't trust a DVD-type for any type of action recording. And with HD's you run the risk of fracking up the whole drive. I'll second the MiniDV though, that's likely the route I'm going to end up taking, but it would be nice to not have to have a tank bag or backpack just for a camera. That's why you need to hurry up and review that camera for me.

#23 ·
I'd like to have the quality, but for now it's not something that I'd deem a necessity. Besides, my home videos wouldn't be very exciting...
...goes to work...
...comes home...
...breaks out the ratchet w/36mm socket to ensure the rear axle is tight...
...rides for 30 minutes...
...goes to lowes/home depot to pick out shit for the house...
...sbw...
...sleep...

#24 ·
You're right... keep the home videos tucked away. If I wanted boredom, I'd watch the home shopping network. :laughing:

My life has been even less eventful lately. Basically, I don't have to check my rear axle as much as you. :twofinger because I can't go riding too much yet. :eek: I despise shopping at local stores, so home depot is out, too. That basically limits me to Internet/TV, Work, and sleep.

Summer is coming, though. There is always something for me to film in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.