Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like i won't be ridin for a while. Had my 1st crash yesterday:mad: . A 60 mph low-side. it was either try to crank through the turn as a result if an on coming car taking up his share of MY lane. i stood the bike up for a second to avoid him, and that took me off-line. so if i would've kept the bike upright, i would have goone for a ride down a revean (sp?)

so i leaned to turn so much where my left boot and peg were grinding; i almost completed the turn where when i low-sided i tumbled parallel along the road in the grass.

i stood up, wind knocked out of me and all, looked around and NO BIKE TO BE FOUND! Took off my gear, which stood up to the crash VERY well (thanks Shoei & teknic), and almost immediately heard sirens. someone must had seen me tumble.

after a pleasant ride in a ambulance w/neckbrace and backboard i was at the hospital getting tested every which way...

when all was said and done, two broken bones in my hand (the bones that are between you top knuckle and wrist); and deep contusions on my ribs (left side); a lovely rasberry on my left butt cheek. that's it. not bad for a 60 mph + low side. i just feel like i got mugged; very sore today.

tow driver said the bike was about 80 ft down a rivean; talked to him today and he said the bike was pretty messed up but he didn't think it was totaled. i hope it is so u can get a Duc! the insurance adjuster us going out to look at it today. i can't imagine the it isn't totaled; i've seen pics of bikes on this site where the bike looked in tact but was totaled anyway.

oh well. i should be up riding again in no time.

does this crash make me a "biker" now?:twofinger hopefully i will learn from this and it will make me a better rider. i'll still visit this site everyday and ttpe some one handed threads. take care everyone

when i take some digital pics, i'll post them. i have still yet to see the bike.
NI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Well that sucks. At least you didnt go over the ravine(sp) with it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Agree, that it is good in you not following the bike & probably more injuries. You did all you could to avoid a killer of an accident with the car on the wrong side of the road.
Have a hunch the bike is totalled as most tow people are not m/cists with the experience we have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sorry to hear

Even though you wrecked your bike at least you came out better...Hope you heal in time and get another bike soon..Keeps us posted on how things make out..ONce again glad to hear you're ok..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad to hear that you're ok. What gear were you wearing, and what's its damage, if any?:thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PumpkinHead said:
Glad to hear that you're ok. What gear were you wearing, and what's its damage, if any?:thumb:
i was wearing a Shoei, Pascal Picotte replica, gloves w/ kevlar and carbon fibeer ( i think...it's hard stuff) on the knuckles and wrist ( the gloves came up to my forearm), some thick leather boots courtesy of the Navy ( they come up around mid-calf), and a BRAND NEW Teknic lether jacket. i just bought it yesterday; until then i was using a J.R. Phoenix jacket. But wanted to get some good leather. A good investment, i'd say.

the jacket held up VERY nicely; i think mainly because i slid off the road and slid the remaining distance in the grass parallel to the road. kind of funny, b/c only the left side if the jacket is REALLY dirty, but no damage to the stitching. the rest of the jacket still looks brand new. jeans held up, just some grass stains. left boot got tore up, but the steel toes held up better than i expected. i was glad to have boots that covered up my ankle bone, b/c the the leather where my ankle bone would be, was pretty scuffed up. and a nice chunk out of my helmet from where i smacked the back of my head on the pavement.

i was reminded of how insane it would be to ride around in shorts, tanktops, and shades. i can't even fahtom crashing without wearing any gear!!

i'm going to go to the salvage yard tomorrow to get my key(the bike key is with my truck key); i'll bring the digital camera and take some pix and post 'em . i'm kind of excited to see how she's doin'. i'm amost sure it's totaled. kind of sad, my first bike and all. oh well. like i said, depending on if it's totaled or not, i plan on making my next bike a Ducati 748S. we'll see. talk to you all later!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Glad to hear you came through your crash without a very serious injury although the ones you describe sounded pretty painful :eek:
Hope you heal soon & get back on two wheels quickly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You're jumping the fence from Kwaka to Ducati?:eek:
Are you sure you didn't smack your head real hard in that accident?;)
Anyhow, cool to see you didn't go for a free fall.
I'm a little interested to know how intense the turn felt before you stacked. Did it feel a whole lot more tipped over than you're used to? or just that little bit extra?
It sounded like you nearly made the save.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Sorry about your mishap :(
At least you didn't get seiously hurt..You can always get another bike, but not body parts for you!
It would be nice if whoever saw you going down and called the ambulance, had also taken the license plate of the oncoming car...Maybe you wouldn't be able to prove anything, but you could find out who it was ;-)

Aris

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BobbyDazzler said:
You're jumping the fence from Kwaka to Ducati?:eek:
Are you sure you didn't smack your head real hard in that accident?;)
Anyhow, cool to see you didn't go for a free fall.
I'm a little interested to know how intense the turn felt before you stacked. Did it feel a whole lot more tipped over than you're used to? or just that little bit extra?
It sounded like you nearly made the save.
i don't think i hit my head that hard :D . it's kinda like that saying in the bible "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's motorcycle". basically, once i get a duc, i'll want a honda....and the cycle would continue:) i judt love the way the grey/w red rims 748S looks. :(

as far as the turn, i would equate it to a little less than a typical cloverleaf; so i was used to leaning the bike way over; but when he flirted w/ the center line, it took me off my line a bit. so imagine hittin' a clover leaf between 60-70mph with a smooth line; getting off line and needing to compensate for that amount of time where you were off line by turning/diggin even harder; then almost ready to get the bike upright but having the front wash out around 60mph. that's a pretty accurate way of describing it.

i'm leaving now in a few minutes to go check out the bike. i'll post some pics later. adios all; thanks for your support. means a lot considering 2 days ago i was thinking of giving up sportbikes. now i find myslef browsing Ducai websites :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
glad to se your ok:D . damn cagers. but maybye if you had some shrubbery{sp} things might have been different...hmmmmm....:twofinger

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pics of the bike

hey all,

i just got back from seein' my baby. she didn't look too good. I believe she's totaled.

upper fairing dangling, headlights barely sitting in there. windscreen torn away. mirrors busted.

both side fairings are toast. the left more so than the right.

rear sets busted off

sub frame (frame portion under seats...right term?) bent into a lovely arc

radiator ripped off, leaking water/coolant everywhere

exhaust bent back. can torn away from the pipe

it looks like it went head first (lights first) down a riveen about 180ft (180ft according to the tow driver who wenched it out), so i don't know if th forks are bent or not.

here are some pics, i think if i was riding w/ a shrubbery or a heirribg, i wouldn't have crashed:twofinger i'll find out monday if it's totaled or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Seeing those pics is just like seeing cut up people:barf:

Glad you are ok and I'm glad you are still wanting another bike. I hate hearing about fellow riders crashing but I think it makes me ride a little more cautiously especially when cages are around.

So what did you learn from this experience? ... just curious

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Jeez!

UndrTkrCd said:
What road were you ON when this happened
i was riding on Blue River Pkwy going south towards Red Bridge. had a guy coming a little too far in my lane, and was force to sacrifice some of my "good line" to avoid him. almost made it...:D

i do feel REALLY good today. hardly any soreness remaining. oh well, i'll get better here in about 4 - 6 wks. then i will figure out what kind of bike to go after.:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ninjabeater said:
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Seeing those pics is just like seeing cut up people:barf:

Glad you are ok and I'm glad you are still wanting another bike. I hate hearing about fellow riders crashing but I think it makes me ride a little more cautiously especially when cages are around.

So what did you learn from this experience? ... just curious
i learned to trust your bike. it will do what you want it to. i mean i had this thing grinding a peg and a boot doing 60mph and she was fine. unfortunately, i needed about another 6 inches (story of my life...:finger: )of road and I would have been groovy. i'm not saying grind a peg all the time, but if you're ever in a situation where you need to be evasive to get away from danger, ride around the danger, DON'T STAND THE BIKE UP to brake. LEAN 'er over!

AND, once again, I'm reminded of how ridiculous it is to see people riding without any gear. i can't imagine washing out w/ no gear; the crahs didn't tickle even with gear. AND, that CAGERS ARE F*CKING CLUELESS AS TO THE RULES OF THE ROAD!

i've also learned that in order to have a TRULY good time in my area, you need to be COMPLETELY F*CKING away from traffic! it's one thing to act like a dumbass and wreck, but it's another to eat it as a result of avoiding a colision.

i took a pic of my hand when I re-did my soft cast (until i get the hard cast next Fri); and it looks narly. i'll resize it, and post it tomorrow:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts