Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what I do I can not get the front wheel to lift on my '03 GSXR600. If under throttle the rear seat lifts from the wheel will cranking up the rebound on my rear suspension minimize the seat lift and result in more wheelie capability?

A few weeks ago I cleaned my K&N and it was coming up at will under throttle around 7k in first. Later that week I put-on a new rear Dunlop207. Since then it doesn't do anything.

Also, A friend has noticed that I blow white smoke shifting from 1st to 2nd, perhaps indicating a overly rich mixture.

Any suggestions?

And I don't want to set-up my bike just for wheelies cause I really enjoy leaning in twisties, so I don't want to compromise that.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If I have told you once, I have told you three times, I will work with you.

Quit your fu*ken pussy footin' and let's get go.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said before. Whenever you got the time, but it hasn't happened.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
mmmbarley said:
Like I said before. Whenever you got the time, but it hasn't happened.
Well, it's a little late in the season now, but it is just going to take practice. Do you have a chatterbox?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
mmmbarley said:
Are you cracking the gas and trying to lift the front end, or are you clutching it? I know you do not want to destroy your clutch, but this will aid getting it up and controlled at low speeds. If you are trying to crack the throttle, the bike will still come up, but you will be trying to keep up with your speed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
duessel said:
Are you cracking the gas and trying to lift the front end, or are you clutching it? I know you do not want to destroy your clutch, but this will aid getting it up and controlled at low speeds. If you are trying to crack the throttle, the bike will still come up, but you will be trying to keep up with your speed.
no clutch.

Coming off gas to compress front fork then cracking wide open.

just in 1st, can't get it to do shit in 2nd.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
mmmbarley said:

just in 1st, can't get it to do shit in 2nd.
You won't. Only standups work in 2nd. Balance is key. If you want to ride them out, you need to get the bike to the balance point, then you can start shifting gears.

·
Registered
322 Posts
hey duess, i need some pointers to i cant do shit in second, can do it in first but i dont like clutching it almost looped it a while back (pucker factor) any tips on clutching it.....thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
WORM said:
hey duess, i need some pointers to i cant do shit in second, can do it in first but i dont like clutching it almost looped it a while back (pucker factor) any tips on clutching it.....thanks

yea, don't clutch it in first......try second or third, I KNOW that bitch'll do it......

·
Registered
88 Posts
duessel

how're you getting you bike up in 3rd? i know it's mostly technique, but i can get my bike up in 2nd no problem, and i can only get the front tire up about 2 inches in 3rd,

i know you're bigger and stronger than i am, as well as your bike probably being smaller, lighter, and having a few more hp than mine does,

think that's mostly it, or can i still get mine up in 3rd?

come spring i'm gonna get the regular tube handlebars like on the speed triple, so it won't be a problem for 3rd then, but i'm impatient

·
Registered
329 Posts
You should be able to get the speed four up in third and definately the gsxr 600. The trick is to snap the clutch out really fast. The easiest way to learn is to start at a certain rpm, say 5000, and with 2 fingers pull in clutch and give gas and then just let the clutch slip right out of your fingers, actually letting it out with your hand is to slow, try it a few times and then up your rpms and the amount of gas your giving it once the clutch is out. This way you wont give it to much and go over. When you let the clutch out this way it is consistant every time you do it so pay attention to your rpms and you will learn the feel of how quick your bike comes up given the speed, gear, and rpm range you are in. After that its just practice and timing but keep at it and you will figure it out. I think 2nd is the best gear to learn to ride nice wheelies in, bike comes up quick at fairly low speeds and isnt nearly as twitchy/torquey as first. On my r6 I like to bring it up in second at between 35 and 40 mph, thats with stock gearing so the gsxr6 should be very similar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Screw the suspension work if you want the bike to come up faster change the sprockets go down 1 or 2 on the front or a couple on the rear. Cheap and easy. Any newer bike should come up in 2nd I have a stunter on a 2003 gsxr 600 who rides his wheelies 1st to 4th gear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely not the bike, I rode a buddies 03 last week and I got it up in second no problem. You really need to learn to use the clutch to do good wheelies. Jab hit the technique on the head. And for gods sake don't try and clutch up first gear when you're just learning. Cause it can get ugly in first real quick. :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah first get ugly the first time u are learning
i can bounce the r6 in 3rd around 9k rpms right around 80-90 comes right up......all you need to do is practice youll get it

·
Registered
6 Posts
No clutch in first. Let off to compress the forks, and rip it. Right?
Clutch in second - set rpm and drop it? Or do you give it gas at the same time you are letting out the clutch?

I want to learn - I cant even get my 99R6 up in first ripping on it - of course I'm missing on at least one cylinder. That will be getting fixed tomorrow. -JinX

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah you want to be on the gas when you pop the clutch, the theory is to have your engine speed faster than your actual speed, then when you drop the clutch you get an instantanios power surge to the ground wich brings you up. missing on a cylinder will def. affect your wheelie capabilities. The biggest thing is your timing and is the gratest factor in the bike coming up. Get your bike running right and practice practice practice, oh yeah, then practice some more!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts