Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about stripping the black paint from my rims. They have alot of places where the paint is already gone. There area few deep scratches on them, but I'm not worried about getting rid of them. My question is do i need to take the tires off the rim when i do this? Or mask around them. I wasnt sure if any of the compounds id be using could possibly damage the tire. The tools i'd be using involves sandpaper, a small 90 grinder with a wire wheel, and the final product being a brushed aluminum look with a little shine to it. Not going for a chrome finish, just something I can keep clean.

thanks

-e

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used aircraft aluminum stripper to remove the paint on my rims. Left the tires on and just taped around the lip. After the paint was gone I used a scotchbrite roloc disk to get the rims as smooth as possible and then went to polishing compund. Used the heavy cutting stuff first, then the fine cutting. Rims turned out looking real good. Nice and shiny.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats real similar to the method I was thinking about doing, except where can you get the aluminum stripper like that? Also, someone told me I could use cheap silicon caulk on the tire bead to keep from getting any chemicals in there, also aluminum chips and whatever that is abrasive

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can get the stripper at any painters supply.
Silicone will work around the bead, but tape gives a cleaner edge, and if you do get any stripper on the tire just wash it off with water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts