Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously there are a million ways you can go down. However, has anyone thought about a strategy of if you know you are going to go down you force a low side and manipulate your leg (the one that could be on the ground under the bike) so the bike takes most of the road abrasion? Even if you can not ride the upside of the bike the whole slide maybe at least most of it to limit road rash. I took the course but I was just wondering if there are any strategies to save yourself when you are going down. Other strategies are welcome.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I've always felt that if you have enough control to force a lowside then you have enough control not to crash in the first place. :)

But if I am down I try my best to get the hell away from the bike. No way would I try and "ride" on top of it during a slide. Your body will stop a lot faster during a slide than your bike will.

·
Registered
50 Posts
See the problem with a get-off is hitting objects AFTER you are sliding across this wonderful planet. My advice (Ive wrecked a couple of times:rolleyes: ) get to your back and spread your arms and legs out. A back protector will help, if your wearing one, at this time. Tumbling is the same as hitting trees, and curbs, and guardrails, and.. you get the point. It has saved me a fracture or two. my .02$

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Andre,

You ask a good question. About 20 years ago I low-sided my Yamaha RD-350 at about 50 MPH. I can still remember how everything went in slow motion. It was a left hand turn and I was leaning pretty hard. The bike had a bald rear tire and it just started going lower and lower. When I realized I was going down, it just came natural to move my leg out of the way and I just rode on top of the bike until it stopped.

I use the knee out technique so my leg is already pretty much far away from the bike.

Andy

·
Registered
379 Posts
Robert said:
I've always felt that if you have enough control to force a lowside then you have enough control not to crash in the first place. :)

I had thought about this too....then I low sided my bike about 3 wks ago. long left sweeper, about 60-70mph; car came a little too far across the center line thus making me alter my line a bit. but enough to know i wasn't going to complete the turn. i remembered how people posting said "not to panic" and i didn't. I didn't stand the bike up and try to brake (i would have ended up 180 ft down a reveen w/ my bike.) I leaned 'er over hard, and she would've made it if i had about another ft of pavement.

anyway, I knew I was going down and I was leaned way over then the front tire washed out. I always said if i went down i would try to get to my back, but not this time. I don't know if you have to have experience wrecking :D, but i hit the turf hard and rolled. only suffered a bruised rib, and two broken bones in my left hand. if there is a way to "control" a crash, I certainly didn't apply it when i wrecked.

bottom line: I realize that this crash was probably a bit of rider error, so hopefully i'll learn from it and not let it happen again. my bike is totaled, but i hope to get a new bike soon. hopefully a nice ducati. BTW, has anyone else experienced a sadness when your first sportbike was totaled? I am still sad to see pictures of her. I loved that bike; so much fun on it; so green and purty. oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I been riding for around 1 whole years now haha :cool:

A few months ago me and a few friends went riding to Lake Berryessa. Nice day warm and sunny. But it just started off bad, should have seen the signs haha.
1. Filled my tank to much, so it kept dying cuz there was no vacuum.
2.My friend got a ticket entering the twisties.

Anyways we were riding and it was ok after the first few incidents. I was following a friend (he was novice). So I decided to pass him and ride with the faster people. Everything was going good until I decided to slow down for my friend, but decided it was not a good place to stop. so I rolled on and tried to catch the faster people.

Then it happened. Long sweeping left turn. I panicked, I felt the pegs scrap a little so it scared me. And I took my eyes off the road (remember to look into the turn!!) and brought her up from the lean angle. Umm the turn continued and I ended up trying to brake in gravel. I ended up lowsiding bike ended up in a Raveen 15 ft down. I ended up sliding and little tumbling down the raveen about half way. My GIRLFRIEND was ok. Ohh I forgot to mention her. But the only thought I had was trying to slow her slid (thank god for riding jacket I had bought her for valentines). She came out with a bad scraped jacket and a couple of bruises. (wear them leathers, they freakin work)

I ended up with Rash on my left forearm (had a broken zipper on the sleeve and the sleeve rolled up.) Rest of the jacket was good shape.

But my kawai zx6 is started right back up 2 days later when I picked her up from the tow yard! What a tough girl!!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
therok229 said:
I been riding for around 1 whole years now haha :cool:

A few months ago me and a few friends went riding to Lake Berryessa. Nice day warm and sunny. But it just started off bad, should have seen the signs haha.
1. Filled my tank to much, so it kept dying cuz there was no vacuum.
2.My friend got a ticket entering the twisties.

Anyways we were riding and it was ok after the first few incidents. I was following a friend (he was novice). So I decided to pass him and ride with the faster people. Everything was going good until I decided to slow down for my friend, but decided it was not a good place to stop. so I rolled on and tried to catch the faster people.

Then it happened. Long sweeping left turn. I panicked, I felt the pegs scrap a little so it scared me. And I took my eyes off the road (remember to look into the turn!!) and brought her up from the lean angle. Umm the turn continued and I ended up trying to brake in gravel. I ended up lowsiding bike ended up in a Raveen 15 ft down. I ended up sliding and little tumbling down the raveen about half way. My GIRLFRIEND was ok. Ohh I forgot to mention her. But the only thought I had was trying to slow her slid (thank god for riding jacket I had bought her for valentines). She came out with a bad scraped jacket and a couple of bruises. (wear them leathers, they freakin work)

I ended up with Rash on my left forearm (had a broken zipper on the sleeve and the sleeve rolled up.) Rest of the jacket was good shape.

But my kawai zx6 is started right back up 2 days later when I picked her up from the tow yard! What a tough girl!!
To add a couple of points here..I've been down 5 times..one just last Sat, cause some dude on a bike decided to stop in the street after turning a corner..:rolleyes: I could have hit him i.e. lowsided, or go over the curb to avoid him, and either endo, or highside into a bunch of dirt, and rocks..I choose the curb..bikes a tad messed up, but I'm fine..anyway..as some one already mentioned...NEVER, EVER stay with the bike..let go ASAP..get on your back, keep all limbs, and your head off the ground..and for me, all my crashes have been in slowmotion..except my highside..in which case..the best thing to do..is RELAX, all this is assuming you have FULL gear on..and in most cases durring a lowside, you should be able to walk away w/o injury, a highside is another story..

Now for panicing if you scrap your pegs..keep that inside leg RELAXED, and trust your bike, and tires, hopefuly the tires are always in good cond..keep the throttle steady, don't roll off, or gas it..and 99.99% of the time, you'll be fine..if a lowside is unavoidable..once your low enough, let go of the bars, and raise your arms up, this is in case the bike wants to highside, and your limbs will be out of the way...stay relaxed..:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that totally sucks. Did the guy help u up or to see if your alright?

I might have just kicked his ass, and blamed it on a fit of rage. Its one thing to go down because of your own stupidity and its another to go down because of another's!

Well time for a new bike? I went out and got me a Honda CBR 954:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
This works...

.... tested nearly a half dozen times on motos and bicycles. Go limp, make like a raggedy ann doll and fight to get your head up. Bones break a lot of times because we stiffen up the muscles surrounding the bones and something has to give, usually the bones because they are weaker than the muscles. Get away from the damn motorcycle if possible. Things do go into slow motion, it is a result of the rapid infusion of adrenalin, the accident will happen in a split second but the slide and crash will seem to go on a long time. I instinctually now have all my muscles relax quickly in danger situations. Do not try and catch yourself with hands or feet, that is how they break, roll and flop around like a rag doll, you'll be surprised how effective it is. Look at old Evel Knievel tapes, he broke every bone eventually, but a lot of crashes he walked away from with this strategy. Peace, keep the dirty side down.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
therok229 said:
Wow that totally sucks. Did the guy help u up or to see if your alright?

I might have just kicked his ass, and blamed it on a fit of rage. Its one thing to go down because of your own stupidity and its another to go down because of another's!

Well time for a new bike? I went out and got me a Honda CBR 954:D
Yeah, he and a couple of other guys picked my bike up, andthey stayed around for awhile.. But..I just got a call from my insurance, and guess what...they'r saying it's MY fault, cause I was following to close...:mad: :mad: so now my rates will go up..:mad: because of that dumb a$$.....

Nope, I'll be getting it fixed..not enough damage to total it..:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've never been in a bike accident, so take this for what you want... but I think it's generally accepted that in an addicent sliding is preferable to rolling. So I'd aim to get either on my back or my chest, spread all my limbs out and hold them up. If you were really thinking you could pick the best armoured parts of your limbs against the ground until the armour wore through just to give that extra friction and stop you quicker... but I know nothing.

As for hitting the ground, try and hit it with all of you at the same time. If you're coming down on your back, try and have all of your body hit it at the same time (But don't let it be hands first or anything). The greater the area the less damage you'll do. Tuck in your head (Might be hard with a helmet) and roll it out to blow off some energy. That's from 8 years of Judo.

I dunno... that's just mho.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hammer: I had a hunch you were riding to close.

Something I note is how so many riders on sportbikes tend to ride far to close.
One must remember if you are following to close in a cage you will also be to blame, BUT in a cage it will be a simple 'fender-bender' incident while on a m/c one or more bikes will be damaged as we are only on TWO wheels that must be balanced all the time.
So look upon it as a costly learning lesson ---- keep a proper distance from other riders or cages & DO NOT count on them to do what you THINK they will or should.
It is part of EXPERIENCE in learning how to stay safe & upright on a m/c.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Re: Hammer: I had a hunch you were riding to close.

Smitty said:
Something I note is how so many riders on sportbikes tend to ride far to close.
One must remember if you are following to close in a cage you will also be to blame, BUT in a cage it will be a simple 'fender-bender' incident while on a m/c one or more bikes will be damaged as we are only on TWO wheels that must be balanced all the time.
So look upon it as a costly learning lesson ---- keep a proper distance from other riders or cages & DO NOT count on them to do what you THINK they will or should.
It is part of EXPERIENCE in learning how to stay safe & upright on a m/c.

My insurance co. is sending me a letter stating that I'm at fault, and upon reviewing the circumstances..of the accident..they/and you are prolly right..I guess I'm so use to riding with riders that do know how to take a normal corner, that I took his riding ablity for granted, and yep, I should have slowed down, and given him more distance, still I'm the one who's gonna be paying, for his lack of skillz....maybe he should trade that 02 1k gixxer in on a smaller bike..:rolleyes:

Yep, it is an expensive lesson..so in that light, from now on, I'm riding ONLY with guys I trust, and know..:thumb: :D

By the way, my appoliges to the folks on this thread, for getting WAY off topic..:D I'm done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, just like surfing and wipe out, I'm thinking where the hell is my board? I've been beaned plenty of times by my board!

Get away from your bike... Last time I went down, my front end started to slide a couple of feet (wasnt down yet), I panicked and didnt wait/hope for the tire to re-engage/grip so I got on the brakes brought it back up... but had to much speed so went off the shoulder... once I hit the dirt, my get off happend so fast I honestly dont know if I highsided or lowsided? All I know is that my bike did the barrel roll of death and was totaled... when I hit the ground I tumbled... sky-grass-sky-grass-sky-grass... in that situation I left my legs extended but kept together and tucked my arms in... luckily no broken bones! But was praying the whole time my bike wouldnt land on me as I had no idea where it was when I was tumbling!

M.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah, it works

Probably the best way to handle an accident is what Kieth Code teaches (and everyone else who talks about such situations). RELAX. You should (ideally) practice relaxing every muscle in your body instantly in response to some signal. E.g. set a timer for some unkown number of seconds, stand on a soft surface (grass, bed, etc.) and when the timer goes off, relax everything AT ONCE. You should end up in a little heap in exactly the spot you were standing, not off to the front or back, and you shouldn't have used your arms to catch you, etc. If you can do this reliably, you should be able to do it in a crash. There is no time in a crash to strategize, unless there are special circumstances, like the rd350 surfing story. Unless the crash itself puts you into a lucky situation like that, the 'safest' strategy is to give up on trying to orient yourself, etc. altogether, and just suddenly relax everything. It'll save your ass. Trying intentionally to put an armored elbow down or something like that will only get your rotator cuff torn and your hand broken. DON'T use your muscles or they'll be fighting your bones, and most of the time the muscle will win. If you're sliding for a distance, then it might be easy after a second to get your legs out in front, which is preferable to your head, but don't think of this as a way to deal with the crash from the beginning.

my .003141596... cents

1 - 19 of 19 Posts