Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert said:
Whatever it is the motor looks huge!

Or maybe it's just the lower that makes it look big.

I think it's ther lower that gives this impression really.
This bike was really famous sometime ago...It wasn't just a racer, but has won important races!
It's close to 1000cc, 230km/h top speed, 170 kg, 85 hp....

BTW, Robert the 'new look' of SBW is really cool! :cool:
I was wondering what was going on earlier when I couldn't login and then I saw the completely new look!!

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
titomike said:
Looks like some kind of euro based endurance racer..maybe a Laverda ?

:)
You re half right....
I mean it's a bike that was modified in Europe and raced in famous endurance races, but not made in Europe ;)
Hint: Look closely under the fairing, how many exhausts do you see?

Aris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well it looks like a four stroke triple, so I thought maybe Laverda Jota based.

The only other thing I can think of around that time is Yamahas XS650/850/1100 triples but they were shaft drive. It's not a Triumph.

:(

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Mike,

I can clearly see four headers and judging by the position relative to the lower fairing I would say its a six cylinder.

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on guys, the picture has many hints....
Look at the tail, look at the colour ;-)
What else can I say without giving it away?

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tigertex said:
Honda RS1000?
It's a Honda but not the RS1000.
It's a bike based on a normal production bike, but the local importers in a European country made many modifications and raced it succesfully in endurance.
The capacity was enlarged and the fairing was designed to reduce the front wheel lift, second disc brake added, 4 in 1 exhaust etc.
Come on guys, this one has remained unsolved for so long....
Just think, in which country do they specialize in Endurance races ;)

Aris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well with Total Oil sponshorship its French.

It's probably a Honda 900 since in production trim it was called the CB900Bol D'Or ( or rollerdoor here ). Possibly to commemorate a victory there.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
titomike said:
Well with Total Oil sponshorship its French.

It's probably a Honda 900 since in production trim it was called the CB900Bol D'Or ( or rollerdoor here ). Possibly to commemorate a victory there.

You re getting closer and closer :)

This bike was many years before the CB900 Bol d Or ;) (hint)

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
limegreen6R said:
Mabye an early 70's Honda CB750 modified into a Japauto 969cc on a Dresda chasis... but I have no idea who that racer is.
Hey Limegreen6R , you got it :) You are the winner!
BTW how is it going wih the repairs on your 6R?

It is the Japauto Honda 996SS. Japauto were (and still are) the official Honda importers in France, and were among the first to take endurance racing so seriously.
The BOL D' OR was the most prestigious race back then, it was a 24 hour race and offered the best publicity.
In 1972 Japauto took a Honda CB750 and highly modified everything on it, engine, chassis, brakes etc including this funny fairing that was very effective and reduced the riders fatigue as well as improving aerodynamics and reducing front wheel lift. During the night 2 CIBIE headlights were added to the sides of the fairing.
They won the BOL D'OR 24 hours that year with this bike, riders were Ruiz and Debrock (Gerard Debrock rides in the picture below).
Next year with the same bike they came 2nd and 3rd in the 1000 km du Mans.
Back then the Bol d'Or was the main endurance race, the 24 Hour in Lemans replaced it years later, until then the race in Lemans was 1000km and not 24 hours.
This was the bike that created so much publicity for Honda, and was the reason for Honda naming their next generation of CBs after the win of this bike. Hence CB750-900F Bol d'Or and CB100F Super Bol d'or :)

I hope you enjoyed this trivia, I think it was a good one!
And here is the original picture cutout from a French mag.
Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
woohoo :D The lack of headlights is what threw me off, cause I know the Japauto 1000 Bol D'Or had those two big round headlights mounted on the sides of all places. For being such an important bike for Japauto/honda I'm surprised there wasn't more info available on it.

The bike is very naked right now, taking it to GMD computrack to have it straightened next week, and they gave me a list of stuff to take off the bike, which is everything but the frame, drivetrain, engine, subframe, forks, swingarm, and handlebars.

So I'll have it back in a week after that, all nice and straight, ready to be reassembled. Gonna have to get a new headlight assembly eventually, but I'll probably just do some plastic welding now and take care of that later.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it looks different without the dual CIBIE lights ;)
I thought it was more intriguing like that :D
They were only attaching the lights at night in order not to spoil the aerodynamics during th ewhole race.
Here is a pic with the lights:

Aris

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts