Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a problem running straight water and no anti-freeze?
This would be only for the summer then change it back to the 50/50 mix for winter?

Just wondering if it would hurt the bike in anyway? Seems to me that the Anti-freezing is just to keep the water from freezing. Or does it in fact have a higher boiling point than water.

Would the bike run any cooler with just water.

Just looking for info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At the track they use straight water to keep their engines cooler. This is not something for daily use. Guaranteed corrosion will develop. Eventually it will clog, you will need to flush out the cooling system, or even replace the radiator. Worse could happen.

You could do the same. When you head to the track put water in. And when you are done, replace it with coolant. And whatever you do, do not put in hard water. Water from the pipe is killer. Use distilled water, or even purified water.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard that but didn't know how much truth there was. I always run distilled water in the mix. I've heard too many horror stories about tap watter.

I've wondered about even running RO water as opposed to distilled. Probably doesn't make that big a difference. Only thing is it would be free from the kitchen :D (only a gallon an hour though)

I just ordered some Redline Water Wetter. Will give that a try and see how it works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have hard water and an RO, it will still be hard water just kinda purified. Though if you have a water softner in the house along with the ro, then it will, like the name implies, "soften" the water. Though I dunno if you would want to do that. Best to go with distilled I think.

Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crius said:
If you have hard water and an RO, it will still be hard water just kinda purified. Though if you have a water softner in the house along with the ro, then it will, like the name implies, "soften" the water. Though I dunno if you would want to do that. Best to go with distilled I think.

Dan
Yea, I've got the softener throughout the house and softened water going into the RO for the Fridge (Ice and water) and a special spout in the sink.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Water softeners use chemicals. I doubt they'd do your bike much good. Go w/ distilled, better safe that sorry.

S

·
0 Posts
JohnnyD said:
At the track they use straight water to keep their engines cooler. This is not something for daily use. Guaranteed corrosion will develop. Eventually it will clog, you will need to flush out the cooling system, or even replace the radiator. Worse could happen.

You could do the same. When you head to the track put water in. And when you are done, replace it with coolant. And whatever you do, do not put in hard water. Water from the pipe is killer. Use distilled water, or even purified water.
Ya, water makes your engine run WAY cooler !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Where does this guy come from ??

At sea level water has a boiling point of 100 C. Mix antifreeze with water and the boiling point rises.
Now explain how water makes the bike run cooler ?

No, don't run water only, not only will your bike overheat quicker it is possible to corrode the crankcase if it is iron/steel ....

Water Wetter (sp ?) is used in place of antifreeze at the track.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Interesting that you guys don't want to put softened water in your motorcycle, but you will put it in you bodies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Squidwannabe said:

Ya, water makes your engine run WAY cooler !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Where does this guy come from ??

Who exactly are you directing this at?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Couple of things. First you MUST use distilled water whether or not you mix it with Anti-freeze, water wetter or anything else. Putting softened water in will eat away your aluminum, and tap water will lay down limescale deposits, clogging your system.

Secondly, neat water DOES absorb heat better then an anti-freeze mix. If you don't believe me take a peek at http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm for a detailed comparison between neat water, 50/50, water wetter (used at 3%) etc. The trade off is that you don't get the elevated boiling point that antifreeze gives you, or of course the freezing protection. The boiling protection shouldn't be an issue unless you race or have a cooling system problem, and you can always put a higher pressure cap on the radiator to give you a higher bp if you're real sure your hoses can take it.

I live in Phoenix and run distilled water with water wetter. Triumph cooling systems are marginal in hot weather, and need all the help they can get. I suspect that neat H2O would be just as good. The cooling system works better than it did with a 50/50 mix, and of course I don't need the ice protection.

As a final reason to ditch the A/F, most trackdays will ask that you don't run glycol antifreeze, but will accept water wetter. This is to reduce the slip danger on spilt coolant.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've been running distilled water and Redline water wetter in the VTR year-round for 3 years with no problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
wow, an actually informative thread, good work guys. I am now even smarter than I thought I was.

S

·
0 Posts
Mongrel Racing said:
Adam, pure water does cool better than a 50 50 mixture of antifreeze. It is chemical thing water has a specific heat index of 1. This relates to its ability to absorbed heat as was mentioned. Adding antifreeze may increase its boiling point, and freeze point but unless it also increases the specific heat above 1 it won't be able to absorbed heat.

Cool! That's good info..

But define better ? If water will boil when it gets too hot , it seems it is out of the question to use it ?

Do you know anyone who use's water alone ? Sans water wetter ?

S

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm... Well thanks for the info Mongrel. I'll be pulling my foot out of my mouth now ... :D ;)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Squidwannabe said:

As usual, Adam is full of crap. :rolleyes: ;)

Water has better heat transfer coefficient without the anti-freeze so theoretically it will transfer more energy but remember that there is a thermostat on the bike that will keep the temp. above a predetermined setting. The bike will have an easier time keeping down at that setting with something other than the 50/50 mix but it is not a huge difference in such a small system. That is an oversimplified explanation though. I recommend you stick with the mix or go to a mix with Watter Wetter. I believe the Watter Wetter has corrosion inhibitors. You could try the newer stuff called Engine Ice. The technology behind it makes sense. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just switched to Engine Ice. It is approved by AMA, FUSA, CCA and WERA for use in Road Racing. It is a Propylene Glycol antifreeze as opposed to Ethylene Glycol. It is a pre-mixed solution, so you don't have to add water to it. However, it is EXPENSIVE. About $13.00 for a half gallon bottle. For a Gixxer, you need 2 bottles.

The old Ethylene Glycol is VERY slippery when spilled (just get a leak sometime and let it spray on your back tire, or run through it after someone spilled it on the track), and hard to clean up. This stuff is not supposed to pose a hazard.

I'm going to the track Tuesday, so I'll let you know how it does. This will be my first trip to the track with the LiterGixxer. (That thing's a pain in the ass to prep)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought I read somewhere that you had to change the Engine Ice every 40 hours or so. Maybe it was on their web page that I saw it.

Any comments on that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts