Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the story:
I woke up looked outside and saw my bike was laying on its side. I run outside and try to pick up the bike not seeing the oil under the bike, i slip and fall on my knee and my shoulder hits the bike. I finally get it up after sliding around in oil and then alittle gasoline comes out. I go inside and see a b-day card from parent and remember that it was my b-day, guess this was gods
present. :rolleyes:
question:
the crank case cover is cracked from falling on the brake pedal, anyone know a cheap place to get stock parts? and why would gasoline come out? i dont wanna put the new cover back on and goto start it and have gas comeing out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
ok first ebay should have about 10 of those covers for sale for less then 20 bucks that where I got mine, and when a older bike is tipped over gas will just come right out of the breather holes on the cap, its normal, just make sure when its standing up that nothing is leaking ok. that really sucks, but thankfully there are cheap parts for us older bike owners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no crank cover for xj550 on ebay at the moment, i could wait till one shows up but i would like to get some more riding in this year before weather gets bad :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
what you need to do is find out what other bikes used that engine, also pull up a general list of bike parts for your bike and look through them, you'll be amazed

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
www.motosites.com has a junk yard search. you should also see what other bikes use the same cover. a good yamaha dealer should help you there.

if it's not an nos-item, yamaha should have it fairly cheap. if it is (and it probably is), bend over. :eek: :(

and happy birthday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i found out its compatible with 81-83 xj550's and 83 seca xj550. i found a new one for $117 :eek: i think ill keep looking.
i emailed the junk yards from that web site, thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
yamaha nos (new old stock) prices suck. that cover was probably $25 before it became an nos item.

they wanted over 50 for a rear brake lever for my 400.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well i found one from one of the junk yards for $10 :D put in on, changed oil and filter, went to start it, it turns over but doesnt begin to start at all. took a look at the plugs and they look ok i think(ground electrode looks alittle dark red) any ideas at what else to look at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts