Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can all blame Aussie Dave for this thread, but some pics of him giving it stick over 10 years ago ... (shite ... 1993 IS over 10 years ago !!) has got me thinking ... again. I'm sure we had a post like this but can't remember much else .. that's age for ya ...

So then, lets have your old stories, pics or both, and the older the better ...

Suggestions, old cars, bikes ... even old pics of girlfriends (ok Boycie you can stick up your pics of boys), old slappas (that one is for you 1-4) .... and basically .. anything old ...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Remember this ..... you really could look at this for hours ... and STILL wonder how theyboth got round ....

Now I guess that is why they call him .. Slasha ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yeah I agree lets see some of the good old days......

Nice pic, love the way Slasher has the lever to the bar and then some :eek: So they both stayed up?? Did Slash go behind?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Davo ... I'm quite sure they both got round .... but in what order is now relegated to folklore .... although I am sure Mrs Slasha has the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth ....

Here's me ex-rides backin NZ before leaving for the fine shores of Singapore ....

A twinturbo toyota supra, targa top, inline 2.5litre 6 ..... monster of a thing but by fark did it chew tyres, brakes ... did I mention tyres !! ... at $500 each a pop it made owning an R1 cheap !! ...

And .. my baby .. the ZXR400 .. which got be back on 2 wheels after being scared stupid of the things doing the stupid things you do as a teenager .... like braking into every corner and staring at big cliff faces as you fail to go round said corners ....

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Waste of KB

Old stories? old pictures? Well i don't have any "old" stories just stories, and pictures of bikes? I owned my first bike about 3 years ago - (GSX-R 600 Corona - sexi paint job).

Got an empty bucket of experience and a full bucket of luck at the moment (well 90%), Hopefully i wont run out of the later before i fill the former.

The only experience of old bikes i have is riding Enfields around India on my hols, can't even call it nostalgic.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Aside from Bikes

This is the other side to my parents trauma.

Joe asked me what was more scary, paragliding or racing bikes.

I think they are about the same however when things go wrong (like getting sucked into a cloud or having some major collapses) it doesn't stop 10 seconds later (hopefully).

2 hours of fear running riot through your veins is a bit different to the spilt second when you realise you are too hot into a corner.

The feeling is the same!

Photo - Crossing the first range - Himmalayas (14000 feet ASL, -10deg)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Crazy that..

I can see the footpegs but where the fark are the brakes on that thing????

and is that picture at 1:1 scale?? :p

The odd limb rubbing on armco doesn't scare me anything like being up there in that calico and bent coat hanger do hicky :eek:

Nice looking little 600 by the way :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
My first bike. When I got it the age of the bike was the same as mine - 18 years old.
NSU Max 250; 247cc, 18 HP, 4 speed gearbox, 126 km/h.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh christ .... you lot never learn ... DO NOT start mentioning things like Royal Enfields, BSA's, Vincents, Indians, Triumphs .... you'll get Blue Cat all farkin excited and he'll leave his new hobby and spend all day posting shite into this thread ....

·
Registered
471 Posts
check my photo scetion. it's got pics of my first 3 (classic) bikes.
1975 Honda QA 50cc, 1973 Honda Elsinore CR250M, 1970 Honda CB750K...and my R6 :)

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Aside from Bikes

bbqq021 said:
This is the other side to my parents trauma.

Joe asked me what was more scary, paragliding or racing bikes.

I think they are about the same however when things go wrong (like getting sucked into a cloud or having some major collapses) it doesn't stop 10 seconds later (hopefully).

2 hours of fear running riot through your veins is a bit different to the spilt second when you realise you are too hot into a corner.

The feeling is the same!

Photo - Crossing the first range - Himmalayas (14000 feet ASL, -10deg)
I reckon that riding bikes is not very scary in comparison - its just more fooking dangerous. Having your canopy collapse - sometimes feckin' scary, but no big problem. Don't be a big girlie!! The higher you are, the safer!! The trick is, to have a couple of stiff drinks before you take off... :D :D ;)

Taking off from glaciers at 12,000ft and flying with birds of prey - that's thrilling. Shame that there's no mountains here. Only took up biking to compensate for the thrill factor - just as well I'm a better pilot than a bike rider :rolleyes:

Have you got your wing over here mate? I was thinking about bringing mine back over.

·
Registered
642 Posts
ENFIELD BULLSHIT

Legend said:
Oh christ .... you lot never learn ... DO NOT start mentioning things like Royal Enfields, BSA's, Vincents, Indians, Triumphs .... you'll get Blue Cat all farkin excited and he'll leave his new hobby and spend all day posting shite into this thread ....
When I lived in India, the Bullet seemed the way to go and so I bought one... a brand new "export quality" 350, complete with chrome briefcase pannier !!

What a pile of shite it was too.... vibrated so much that the fuel tank fell off. Front brake is worse than useless, gears are the wrong way round... neutral selector... whats that all about?

On the the plus it would just about out accelerate the bullock and carts from the lights and you could happily give the rickshaws a nudge out the way. You could also run it on just about anything including chip pan oil (which is fairly essential as most fuel in Bombay was adulerated)

Tried to re-enact the scene from Great Escape where Steve MCQueen jumps over the fence with it.... I don't believe that stunt is possible with the Enfield... it has neither a strong enough clutch or enough top speed !.

Quite honestky I preferred riding Vanessa's Honda Skippy or whatever it was.

There... bet you're pleased with yourself now Ledge eh ???

:D :D :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Paragliding Forum

Yeah, got my wing here although the nearest flying - Malayisa is not worth getting out of bed for after flying in the boomers, India. Off to Spain the first few weeks in July, good distance flying. Aim to break the 100K. Back to Billing / Bir in October for the PWC.

Stiff Drinks? the lads in India like to smoke a bit of Charas before they fly, i thought they were joking the first time.

I really like to have a clear mind when i am just about to dangle myself from a plasitc bag.

Killing myself? came far closer under my wing than on my bike. Technically speaking at the time my wing was under me.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Re: ENFIELD BULLSHIT

Blue Catt said:
When I lived in India, the Bullet seemed the way to go and so I bought one... What a pile of shite it was too....
:D :D :D
I would love to see a snap BC, so dig one up and crank up the scanner over the weekend...... let's see who has had/got the biggest pile of crap :D You and your Bullet are a real chance by the sounds!!!

One for the paraletic boys:

Why do I hear on the news every other weekend, some numbnut has topped himself in an ultralight??? :eek: Those things must be the most dangerous of all the oversized kmart kites out there :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Because

Ultralights are powered, fixe-wing jobbies - different kettle of fish, so to speak. Like comparing a Hayabusa with a raleigh chopper (on a different note, one of those is a design classic, the other is bloody awful).

I was wondering tho' whether I could strap my bag of washing to my fireplace for a faster take-off... I've seen some twat in France taking off on a motocross bike attached to a paraglider.

Of curse there are other ways to get hurt - what is this silly c*tn up to??... Answer on a postcard please.

http://www.coupe-icare.org/2000/photos/echelle.jpg

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris Sedition said:
check my photo scetion. it's got pics of my first 3 (classic) bikes.
1975 Honda QA 50cc, 1973 Honda Elsinore CR250M, 1970 Honda CB750K...and my R6 :)

-chr|s sedition
Jesus Christ !! ..... we got people in here now from the middle of farkin nowhere !! .... see what you get when you mention Endfields and shite .... (nice to see you own a modern 600 too bro !!) ...

And as for you BC ... yup .. mighty chuffed .... I just KNEW you could not resist an invite to talk about your India days ...

Biggest pile of crap ...... I once owned and Austin A40 .. tried to hand crank it one day with the rusty crank lever ... and as I was young and dumb (as opposed to just dumb) I decided to quite only after the thing had stipped all the skin of the palm of my hands .... Owww -farkin - ouch ... If only I had thought to put on a glove .. ??

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'll see your Bullet and raise you an A40

That guy looks a lot like a contestant in our local 'Bird Man Rally' on the Yarra :D A mate of yours Worzel??

So let me get this straight Ledge, during your teenage years you wore all the skin off your right palm because you weren't wearing a glove..... don't know what this has got to do with the A40, but nice try :twofinger

I once had a three cylinder Honda 2 stroke but can't for the life of me remember what the bastid was called??? Mid 80's at a guess, anyone??? I do remember what a piece of shit it was though, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and only ran on two pots most of the time :p

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a race rep in the same mold as the RG500, called the NS400 ..... I remember seeing a few in Rothmans colours ... is as a 3 potter ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts