Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2000 GSXR750 and cant seem to let myself store the bike for the WHOLE winter just in case there are some warm days where i can take the bike out and race around town..my question is...Is it ok for the bike if i only ride it once or twice a month during the winter or do i have to store the bike if its not gonna be used for a period of time? Can warming the bike up every 2 weeks or so for about 15 minutes good enough when i cant ride it? thanks in advance!

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
don't freakin' warm it up for 15 minutes every now and again. if it's warm enough to ride it, ride it. but don't start it if you ain't gonna ride it.

just pull the battery out of it, if it's not in a warm storage area. put it in when you're gonna go riding.

there a lot of little issues that make it not such a good idea, but unless you're a fanatic, don't worry.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

G

·
Put stabilizer in the gas, And do a fresh oil change before you put it away....

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
192 Posts
Put Stabil in the gas, change the oil and filter, make sure you have the battery hooked up to a battery tender to keep the charge up. Then, when there are those good days, go out and ride for an hour or so. It is not only good for the bike, but for your head as well! :)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
468 Posts
Checklist of things to do:
1) Find a place to store it, get the tools you'll need (Sheltered from the elements, away from chemical fumes and ozone).
Get the chemicals you need ( gas stabilizer, any cleaning supplies).

2) Run the bike, fill the tank, stabilize the gas (Take the bike out for a ride, and swing by a gas station on your way home).

3) Change the oil (Do this while the engine is still hot -- it gets more junk out).

4) Put bike on stands (If you can, take the weight off the tires).

5) Spray fogging oil in cylinder(s) (Used to keep the rings and cylinder walls from rusting).

6) Cover intake/exhaust with bags (While the bike is warm, cover the air box snorkels and exhaust pipe).

7) Final fuel system checks (If your bike has one, switch the petcock off).

8) Remove and charge the battery (Take the battery out of the bike for charging- trickle charge it once a month).

9) Wash, dry, and wax dry the bike (Wash and wax the bike. Get all the corrosive road salt and chemicals off it).

10) Protect the bike's exposed metal (Spray the bike's exposed metal parts- but not the brakes!!- to prevent rust/corrosion).

11) Lock it up (Lock it up so it doesn't get stolen!).

12) Cover It (Cover the bike with a breathable material that will keep dust off- an old bed sheet will do).

;)

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
hehehehehehehehe
winterize!?

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:
Checklist of things to do:
1) Find a place to store it, get the tools you'll need (Sheltered from the elements, away from chemical fumes and ozone).
Get the chemicals you need ( gas stabilizer, any cleaning supplies).

2) Run the bike, fill the tank, stabilize the gas (Take the bike out for a ride, and swing by a gas station on your way home).

3) Change the oil (Do this while the engine is still hot -- it gets more junk out).

4) Put bike on stands (If you can, take the weight off the tires).

5) Spray fogging oil in cylinder(s) (Used to keep the rings and cylinder walls from rusting).

6) Cover intake/exhaust with bags (While the bike is warm, cover the air box snorkels and exhaust pipe).

7) Final fuel system checks (If your bike has one, switch the petcock off).

8) Remove and charge the battery (Take the battery out of the bike for charging- trickle charge it once a month).

9) Wash, dry, and wax dry the bike (Wash and wax the bike. Get all the corrosive road salt and chemicals off it).

10) Protect the bike's exposed metal (Spray the bike's exposed metal parts- but not the brakes!!- to prevent rust/corrosion).

11) Lock it up (Lock it up so it doesn't get stolen!).

12) Cover It (Cover the bike with a breathable material that will keep dust off- an old bed sheet will do).

;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so much for that quick ride on a warm winter day.

btw, if they use salt, clean it off immediately after your winter ride.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D So u guys r saying that if i only ride my bike twice a month in the winter i gotta do all this winterizing stuff?? That'll add an extra hour to my so called short winter ride!! thats it! im gonna invest in heated Spiderman Underoos and just ride every goddamm freezing day! in other words im too lazy do do all that crap! :D

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so how long can the bike sit in my garage before it needs to be winterized?? so if i ride it once a week i obviously dont have to winterize it right?

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gix ryder:
so how long can the bike sit in my garage before it needs to be winterized?? so if i ride it once a week i obviously dont have to winterize it right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you plan on riding it once every few weeks you do not need to winterize your bike (if it is kept inside of a garage). And make sure if they use salt in your area (to melt the ice/snow on the roads) that you wash the bike after each ride.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
just pull the battery out of the bike. cold weather can really zap them dead.

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
873 Posts
Or beter yet just move to AZ, TX, or even CA (only if you have to) and ride 365 days a year.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
468 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gix ryder:
so how long can the bike sit in my garage before it needs to be winterized?? so if i ride it once a week i obviously dont have to winterize it right?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. I wouldn't do anything more than trickle charge the battery once a month unless the bike is going to sit for at least three months. Personally, once the salt is on the roads, that is it for me. I refuse to get salt on my motorcycle.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
186 Posts
:D So u guys r saying that if i only ride my bike twice a month in the winter i gotta do all this winterizing stuff?? That'll add an extra hour to my so called short winter ride!! thats it! im gonna invest in heated Spiderman Underoos and just ride every goddamm freezing day! in other words im too lazy do do all that crap! :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a guy around here that does that. He has a Maxim 650. I've seen him ride in 6 inches of snow (very slowly and with both feet down). I will never call him a fair-weather rider. I'm not sure what he does to keep his bike running at like -20, but it works.
Also, you guys didn't mention putting in (or at least checking) coolant. I always change mine.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how is the salt from the roads bad for my bike? is it bad for the paint? will honda polish get rid of any salt residue or should i give it a good wash?

------------------

G

·
>>how is the salt from the roads bad for my bike?

Its not! don't listen to anyone! Honda polish is BAD!!! On painted areas you should use varsol to clean your bike, Use hydrochloric acid on the metal parts though ... Use something that will dry out the rubber on your tires , You know so they crack.. This improves traction with all those new cracks its like extra tread patterns every where...

------------------
Evil doers beware !

Adam

G

·
how is the salt from the roads bad for my bike? is it bad for the paint? will honda polish get rid of any salt residue or should i give it a good wash?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just think like this: it's bad for *everything*. Without a second thought, always wash with water/soap after riding on salted roads.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

G

·
Posted by Pete <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>, always wash with water/soap after riding on salted roads.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gix,

I wouldn't ride on salted roads at all.. Don't listen to those TEXANS .. The only salt they know is the salt that comes on their fries at McDonald's :D :p
Road salt is super abrasive ... bro ! ever see those rusted cars ? imagine a pretty gsxr750 with a rusted out frame...

------------------
Evil doers beware !

Adam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts