Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy that's had to take his bike off the road for probably the next 8+ months. He's starting it up every other week and letting it run for 20-30 mins. So whats the best way to store a bike. Gas stablizer? Trickler charger? Do you need to drain the float bowls if your running it for a bit every two weeks?? Help needed>>>

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
You wrote: >>>>>He's starting it up every other week and letting it run for 20-30 mins.
My comments: -----I've always heard this is not good because it doesn't reach the normal operating temp, even though the water temp or cylinder head temp is normal it doesn't allow the machine's parts to reach their ambient operating temp. I don't know if I'd agree to that though . . . .

>>>>So whats the best way to store a bike.
----If one elects not to start the engine, then oil should be poured into the cylinders and the engine rotated by hand with the plugs out to cover the internals with oil. Then reinstall the spark plugs. Also put in fresh oil and a filter before storing.

----If it's water cooled drain the fluids.

----Change the brake fluids.

----Put it up on Track stands and let all the air out of the tires. Put a good rubber protectant on the tires and all other rubber parts.

----Put a light coat of oil (WD-40) on the aluminum parts to prevent oxidation.

----Cover the seat with the proper protectant for whatever material it's made out of.

>>>>Gas stablizer?
-----Yes, and fill it up to the top with fresh gas.

>>>>Trickler charger?
------That's probably good, but remove it either way and store it in a controlled environment. Cover the Battery connections and cable ends with White Lithium grease.

>>>>Do you need to drain the float bowls if your running it for a bit every two weeks??
----I would think not if starting it up every 2 weeks but if it's not going to be started, drain them.

----Put a good coat of wax on all the painted and chrome surfaces too.

----Then cover it up with a good breathable cover.

I am probably forgeting something here but this should be a good start.

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pretty good list, mabey a bit overkill......
but don't drain the coolent. If it's old you might change it but don't leave it empty.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Registered
133 Posts
i agree with the list with a few exceptions. In addition to not thinking it necessary to let the air out of the tires, I would never put any sort of rubber preservative (such as Armour All) on motorcycle tires. If you don't have track stands, just rotate the wheels a little bit every week to keep flat spots from developing. Also, be sure to periodically pump the forks and the rear shock to keep the seals lubricated, and exercise the hydraulic brake controls. Draining the coolant may cause problems, since the air that replaces the coolant will have some vapor content, which will condense as the temperature cools; the cooling system will be vulnerable to corrosion. A good coolant will protect the system by lubricating the pump seal and inhibiting corrosion. If the condition of the coolant is suspect, replace it before placing the bike into long-term storage. Along the same line, make sure the tank is filled to capacity with stabilized fuel to displace air.

if you're gonna let the bike run periodically during mothball, run it under load. Idling is hard on the engine and will contaminate the oil with water, unspent gasoline, and nasty by-products of imperfect combustion. You're better off just leaving the bike off during storage, and turning the engine over by hand at the crank a few times every now and then to keep the rings from setting. If you go this route, it's very important that you put about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder through the spark plug wells, as YamahaKid mentioned. Keep the battery charged; if you let it run completely down, you'll have to replace it with a new unit by Spring. <--Keep in mind that a charging battery will vent hydrogen, so charge it only in well-ventilated areas, such as the garage. It's not especially important that the garage is heated; it's more important that the fluctuations in temperature are minimized, and the air is not humid. When you start the bike at the beginning of next season, you'll prolly foul the spark plugs. Otherwise, the bike should be fine. Check for leaks.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree, it's better not to start the bike at all than to start it for 20 minutes every couple of weeks. If you can't ride it for at least 30 minutes then it's better not to run it at all. Right before you store it, run it hot and then change the oil and don't start it again till you're ready to ride it.

When you store your battery make sure you don't leave it on a concrete floor. Store it on a wood shelf off of the ground.

Eric

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gee, did I say, "----If it's water cooled drain the fluids"? :eek: It should have read, ----If it's water cooled drain the fluids and replace with fresh.
Sorry for the misinformation, my bad! :eek:

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
66 Posts
El Diablo,
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree with most of yours too, but you said, "In addition to not thinking it necessary to let the air out of the tires, I would never put any sort of rubber preservative (such as Armour All) on motorcycle tires." :confused: My experience is, I also have a 1973 Yamaha RD350 that I stored one winter when I lived in North Carolina. The tires were not covered with a preserver or the air let out. . . .the next spring they were dry rotted. :( I had to buy new tires, :mad: so the next winter I tried what some Racers do to tires between races, covering the sidewalls with a preserver and letting the air out. That next spring, they were in perfect condition :) and I didn't have to buy new ones. :D I feel that for all the longer today's Motorcycle Tires last, the preserver (whatever is used) outweights the negitives caused from using them. Also you stated, "<--Keep in mind that a charging battery will vent hydrogen, so charge it only in well-ventilated areas, such as the garage". Now, this may be true with the old style batteries with vented caps, but todays batteries are sealed and that isn't necessary. Of course I wouldn't bring my Battery into the Kitchen to charge it up anyway, :) the Garage is just fine. :D

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
133 Posts
even the tire manufacturers advise agaist the use of products such as ArmorAll on their products - especially when the tires are for motorcycles. not only are you setting yourself up for the potential of getting some of that junk on your treads (even if you don't apply it directly to the treads, it will find its way there by leaching, capillar action, transported by water, etc.), the manufacturers state that in most cases applying these "preservatives" to the tires actually displaces pre-existing preservatives, and will in fact accelerate degradation. racers live, die, and win by their tires, and i don't know of any who don't prefer to use fresh tires purchased either the same week or at the track during the race event. many of us have purchased race take-offs at the tracks, because as a racer you want fresh tires.

as for letting the air out: the worst thing you can do for fatiguing something is to expose it to a large range of strain. A part subjected to a high stress but low range (constant strain would be ideal) will fair much better than the same part exposed to a very low stress (even for the majority of the time), but then sujected to the same high stress as the other example. these cycles of large range magnitudes, such as occurs when you deflate a tire and then inflate it to spec will do more harm than just leaving it at a near constant inflated pressure.

not trying to start a flame war. it's just that tires are very important with regard to the rider's safety.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
66 Posts
El Diablo
As a Racer, and have been for 33 years, I live by my tires too, some can't afford "new" tires at every race so they do what they can, but we were talking long periods of storage not applying the preserver on a regular basis . . . I could go on and on about this subject but like you said, "not trying to start a flame war.", which I wasn't, just stating from my experiences.

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
517 Posts
YamahaKid, El Diablo:

I'll turn this car around RIGHT NOW if you two don't play nice! :D :D

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you pull the battery, DO NOT put it on a cement floor! Doing this will ruin the battery, put it on a work bench or something off the ground. I usually just start it up every 2-4 weeks and let it run until the fan kicks on, maybe put the swing arm stand under it and ride it through the gears, I don't have a lay up period on my ins. so if and when a semi-good day comes I go out and ride for a little.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited August 27, 2000).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts