Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a huge stunter but I do enjoy an occasional stunt or two =>

Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies but coming down one always hears the standard crunching sound. My question is how bad is this for the bike? I don't expect its equivelent to breaking fork seals from slamming wheelies down but I was wondering if this is ever an issue? Just about every video I've seen everyone is always landing stoppies pretty hard

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stoppies are worse than wheelies. Instead of blowing out fork seals, you blow out the shock seal and thrash the shock and all connecting parts. Theres really no way to land them softly. Just hang on and let em slam down. For best results keep your nuts off the tank on the way down, or you'll feel just how hard the bike can hit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tigger RR said:
Stoppies are worse than wheelies. Instead of blowing out fork seals, you blow out the shock seal and thrash the shock and all connecting parts. Theres really no way to land them softly. Just hang on and let em slam down. For best results keep your nuts off the tank on the way down, or you'll feel just how hard the bike can hit.
B.S. If you stop completly...then yes there is no way to land them softly...but if you roll them out, then ease up on the brake and it will come down nicely....but of course you have to to learn rolling stoppies to do this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, I hear ya on the nuts thing dude. The first real big one I pulled I had to pull over and sit down for a minute with my buddy laughing at me. I sure learned my lesson, much better since :thumb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
the wizz said:
B.S. If you stop completly...then yes there is no way to land them softly...but if you roll them out, then ease up on the brake and it will come down nicely....but of course you have to to learn rolling stoppies to do this.
B.S. huh ? rolling or not 300 plus pounds of bike on about 6 to 8 inches of suspention travel doesn't come down easy. Unless your rolling some 3 inch high weiner stoppies. I do believe Wally said "Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies" and a high stoppie rolling or not almost never lands easy. Yes rolling stoppies do land smoother than stopped ones but one way or another all the weight on that bike and rider has to come down. An object in motion wants to stay in motion untill acted apon by an outside force, GRAVITY!!!!! If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone. Least thats what riding bikes for over seven years has taught me that you can't argue or change what Mr. Newton deemed to be law.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tigger RR said:
B.S. huh ? rolling or not 300 plus pounds of bike on about 6 to 8 inches of suspention travel doesn't come down easy. Unless your rolling some 3 inch high weiner stoppies. I do believe Wally said "Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies" and a high stoppie rolling or not almost never lands easy. Yes rolling stoppies do land smoother than stopped ones but one way or another all the weight on that bike and rider has to come down. An object in motion wants to stay in motion untill acted apon by an outside force, GRAVITY!!!!! If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone. Least thats what riding bikes for over seven years has taught me that you can't argue or change what Mr. Newton deemed to be law.
what you said is true to a point...but in fact when you learn precise brake control you can set them down with ease....and you said "weiner stoppies" hahahah!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I smoked the dtock rear shock on the R1 from stoppies... but it sucked anyway :p

wizz - Brother... you come off really pompus... almost as bad as me. Try a little diplomacy man. ;)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
now if i am interpreting this correctly, there are "stoppies" and "rolling stoppies". now, to me, this doesn't make sense.:dunno:

a "stoppie" seems pretty self explanatory. as you stop, the ass end comes up, drops down, hits the road and then your stopped. stop=not moving. now a "rolling stoppie" really can't be considered a "stoppie" at all according to the way it was described. it would technically be considered a "slowing downie" because it doesn't actually involve you being stopped. :wtf:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tigger RR said:
If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone.
not meaning to start an arguement here but this statement is actually wrong too for several reasons.
#1=you will not have the full 375 pounds hitting the ground.
#2=your object would be considered a "body in motion" so you'd need to figure in gravity and the speed of the object on impact
#3=calculate in the surface are of the object sustaining the most impact

the force of a body in motion is much greater than the actual weight of the object. the actual weight is considered the gravitaional force on the object but the actual amount of force the bike has when it comes down is based on the weight of the actual body, the height of the drop, and the surface area which is sustaing the most impact.

the resultant force acting on any body equals the PRODUCT of its mass and acceleration. F=ma 375 pounds dropping from say, 4 feet, will be going at a certain speed. i do not know what it is but lets just say for arguements sake, its 5mph. 375 x 5=?

sorry to get technical and piss on your flame but physics isn't as "simple" as you think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Physics

not for nothing, but unless you have become seperated from the bike at some point, you need to factor in your weight as well.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Re: Physics

xlh883 said:
not for nothing, but unless you have become seperated from the bike at some point, you need to factor in your weight as well.
yes, this is true. forgot to ad that :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I dont get one thing, you guys and your physics calculations...

Figure this, i agree with you if the person just did a stoppie and slammed the bike back on the pavement, but if he gradually slowed down and left himself enough speed(time) to feather off the front brake then he wouldnt slam down with the full force, as the front brakes and the wheel is acting like a lever so to speak, im sure you'd have to be in great control to do this but i doubt you'd slam the whole weight of the bike back down, its basically like accelerating into a wheelie when the wheel starts to drop, this lessens the impact.:ban:

·
Registered
370 Posts
monkey said:
not meaning to start an arguement here but this statement is actually wrong too for several reasons.
#1=you will not have the full 375 pounds hitting the ground.
#2=your object would be considered a "body in motion" so you'd need to figure in gravity and the speed of the object on impact
#3=calculate in the surface are of the object sustaining the most impact

the force of a body in motion is much greater than the actual weight of the object. the actual weight is considered the gravitaional force on the object but the actual amount of force the bike has when it comes down is based on the weight of the actual body, the height of the drop, and the surface area which is sustaing the most impact.

the resultant force acting on any body equals the PRODUCT of its mass and acceleration. F=ma 375 pounds dropping from say, 4 feet, will be going at a certain speed. i do not know what it is but lets just say for arguements sake, its 5mph. 375 x 5=?

sorry to get technical and piss on your flame but physics isn't as "simple" as you think.
Monkey, you also forgot the speed at which gravity is pulling the bike back down to the pavement (32 FPS squared) Lets say the time is half a second. The actual equation would be 32 FPS2 x Distance (4 feet) x Speed (5 mph) x mass (375lbs minus rider) = impact force

What was that????? Physics simple.... Forget pissing on the flame... the flame has been stomped out...... :twofinger

{32 FPS2 x Distance (4 feet) x Speed (5 mph) x mass (375lbs minus rider) = impact force} equals it's bad for the bike.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Had rest after that much thinking.....

{32 x {.05x2} x 4 x 5 mph} x 375lbs (minus rider) = roughly 24,000 lbs of force exerted on the tire, suspention, etc., etc... :eek::barf2: :wtf:

After that figure, I'd make sure your nuts are off the tank, seat, etc.... they'll get squished like grapes...

:cussing; now my head hurts... time to go ride...

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you kick the bike into neutral you shouldnt hear the crunching sound. You will however hear all the other fun noise the bike makes when it comes back down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
their not that bad on the bike the sound you hear is the chain suddenly stopping hit the rear brake to stop it ive been doing the for a while rolling almost around 100ft from 45 but dont stop with the bike still high let it down soff at the end and your bike wont even bottom out

1 - 20 of 29 Posts