Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a friend was telling me of a friend of his that got rear-ended by a car coming up to him while he waited for the green. He survived because he had on this lid, at least. My friend was postulating there was nothing the rider could have done and I strongly disagreed. I know most experienced riders already know this, but for those who don't:
--While waiting at any stop (light, sign, yield) keep the bike in first gear if there are no stopped vehicles behind you.
--Watch your mirrors for a sign an upcoming vehicle won't stop in time.
--Keep your bike pointed at an emergency exit route in case you need to use it.
--Even in the case where cross-traffic is moving, you should be able to cushion a blow by creeping forward at an angle that would integrate you into cross traffic.

/service announcement

To turn that on its ear, my wife just sent me this link. I had never considered the possibility that a vehicle stopped behind me might run me over when it was their turn to go :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I hate people that wait until the last second to hit their brakes. I'm about ready to nail it and get outta dodge, and all the sudden they decide it's time to stop. I've seen some who do this all the time. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine, got hit from behind by a minivan. Never saw it coming, had no lid, but made it thru ok. When his bike suddenly accelerated, for some reason he thought his belt tore.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My own mother almost ran me over once!! LOL! I was riding the bike and she was following behind me, trailing by maybe 100 yards or so. Anyway, we came to a yellow traffic signal and I stopped. Meanwhile, she gunned it! When I heard the squealing tires, I immediately moved over to the shoulder. A second later, her car was occupying the same space I had just vacated, tires smoking, and my Mom looking over at me with eyes as big as saucers!

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
A friend of a work colleague got rear-ended last week. The guy who hit him did a runner, but was later caught by the cops. They were easilly able to track him down because his number plate was WEDGED INTO THE BIKE'S REAR END!!! :eek:

The rider, who weighs a touch over 300lbs, was thrown clear over the front of the cruiser he was riding, breaking his left arm in three places. He def got off lightly. Hopefully, the driver won't do the same.

·
Registered
452 Posts
WOW :eek: :wtf:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My own mother almost ran me over once!! LOL! I was riding the bike and she was following behind me, trailing by maybe 100 yards or so. Anyway, we came to a yellow traffic signal and I stopped. Meanwhile, she gunned it! When I heard the squealing tires, I immediately moved over to the shoulder. A second later, her car was occupying the same space I had just vacated, tires smoking, and my Mom looking over at me with eyes as big as saucers!
z, that's a great story. Being a parent its scary to think I could run my own kid over.

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Keep your brake lights on, perhaps flashing them when a car approaches from behind. You'd be surprised how a tail light alone can disappear especially on some cruisers with a single bulb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Always have the bike in gear with enough room to dodge between cars, eyes glued to the mirrors to see if the car/truck behind you looks like trouble. Just one more of the motorcycle rules.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have my bike yet but this is a good pointer. I do this when I am in my car all the time. Just recently there was an accident on Interstate 95 on my way to work. As I'm scanning ahead I see all of the brake lights so I knew I would have to stop up there but was sure someone on their cell or something wouldn't have seen the same. So I kept an eye in my mirrors as I was near stopped and saw a Prius coming at my rear end like a bat out of hell so I moved out of the way and honked the bajesus out of my horn to alert the driver ahead of me so he saw the same. Luckily the Prius stopped just in time before hitting the car that was ahead of me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We have a set of lights at the end of a long down hill 4 lane Freeway(highway) here, not long ago a truck lost his brakes and plowed through 10 cars and ended up on the other side of the lights on it's side... it was carnage, unfortunately it happen a couple of times a year. So now I alway split down to the lights so I have an escape route and check the mirrors.

"zxrider" I had to laugh sorry, my wife done the same thing to me when she was following me home once, got distracted by a drunk guy in the middle of the road and didn't notice the traffic had stopped, when I herd the tires squealing behind me I just thought "OH FUCK HERE IT COMES" she pulled up less than a foot behind me, her and the kids burst into tears and she could not drive for almost an hour later.

Roo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts