Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is probably a stupid post, but I've been having a lot of trouble with stop lights lately. Apparently the light can't "see" me and the light never turns green. I've had to actually sit until another car comes along before it activates. Has anyone else had this problem? If you have, and you've figured out a way to get recognized, let me know. I bought my bike to ride, not to sit and a stop light and watch traffic go by.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The May Motorcyclist says:

Stop out over the wires, not in the center of the lane

If the layout is square, stop over the wires parallel to the road to use all of the bikes length to present a bigger "target" for the sensor to "see"

Round patterns are the same, but a little more difficult to get lined up efficiently over the wire

Try putting the kickstand down over the wire or running the starter motor to provide a bigger magnetic field

Go to www.greenlighttrigger.com and get the big freakin' magnet and strap that under your bike

If all else fails, use the "The light is obviously malfunctioning" defense, be safe, and ride through.

Again, these are MC magazine's suggestions, I have not tried the kickstand or starter thing (though on my bike if I try the kickstand, I WILL be trying the starter), but next time I get stuck I will probably give it a shot.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will usually wait through 2 lights MAX. Then if there aren't any cops around, and If you can do it safely run it.
It probably isn't the smartest thing to do and people will most likely call me an idiot, but it saves a lot of time.

I want to emphasize the word SAFELY!

Travis

·
Registered
364 Posts
there are a few single lane left turn signals I have problems triggering. I pull over the white stop line and stay in the right portion of lane and motion for the car to pull up and point to the stop line and let them trigger it. If no car is behind me , 2 light cycles is all I wait . when it is clear I proceede with caution.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great question trigger, I have that problem also. I keep adjusting my bike in that space trying to get the light to change.

Hey limegreen6r, I've seen you in a couple of post and it seems like you have an answer for everything. Pretty amazing!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If...

you dont want to risk it by running the red light... turn right and make a u-turn... safely of course...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always am lucky enough to get stuck at these lights also. Normally I just put down my kickstand and that will help trigger it. If that dont work I just wait untill safe and run it.

and if there are no stupid posts, just stupid people, then what about all the stupid people who post? what does that make us??

Mike

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Guess I complained so often to the Hwy people---

---- that required me to be there when they re-set the equipment, that they took my word for it & now I do not find this problem around the areas I ride.
If it is at some other place I will make the usual right turn to find a small off road to the right again where I can make the U-turn without any incident & work my way back to that troubled spot.
If(?) this is problem is on a normal run, then find out who is responsible, 'phone them & be there if they want to see it fail with you being lst to want to make that turn.
Another trick I picked up was to wave a cage to pass me so all that steel & cast iron would be above the trip spot & would set it off. In a few cases when being lst there & no left turns coming up I would spot the car coming up behind me & urge them to take lead postion as I pushed the bike back & around them, pointing out to them that my bike was to light & with to many alloys & such to trip the switch.

·
Registered
426 Posts
rain_maker said:
Great question trigger, I have that problem also. I keep adjusting my bike in that space trying to get the light to change.

Hey limegreen6r, I've seen you in a couple of post and it seems like you have an answer for everything. Pretty amazing!
Bobas said:
Just HAD to undercut the price on my big honkin' magnet, didn'tcha?:twofinger

I only answer to things I can ;) and Yep :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
i never even heard of this before. But it does make me think about the "broken" lights i've sat at on my bike. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't understand all the trepidition about running a malfunctioning light. Legally you are in the right and all you have to do is yield to whoever might have the green and proceed safely.

Simple as that. You won't get a ticket that isn't easily thrown out. And even getting the ticket is a long shot if you take 1.5 seconds to make sure it's safe to turn on the red you know if a cop is watching you/present.

Ride safe

·
Registered
346 Posts
if the kickstand doesnt work..

ive never tried.. then just get off the bike and run to the pedestrian walk button :D

thats what we used to do when we were stuck at a light in a car.. usually late at night..

in contemporary tiimes.. i juss run the damn light.. half the time anyways.. late at night.. of course when its "safe"

but i usually pull up a little and push my bike back, then pull up a little and rock it back.. this usually works..

i gotta try the kickstand thing..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Around here the sensors are mounted on the light poles. They don't work for bikes either. They only turn on the left turn light for as long as there is a vehicle in the left turn lane.

I just run them.

eyeball

1 - 17 of 17 Posts