Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellow riders,

it is with great regret that i announce that my beloved 1999 F4 was STOLEN from my apartment complex's "secure" garage! :(

i saw it last evening and when i came back from work today it was no longer in its spot.

it is a real sad day for me. i was about to purchase a new set of tires at work and looking forward to my weekly run in the twisties on the weekends. not to mention an upcoming track day in a couple of weeks. :(

i dont know who would do such a thing but at this time i am drowning in sorrow. my bike was not locked down or anything. alteast they did not manage to cut through the chain all the way on the R6 that parks next to me. but i guess they were after the sportbikes in the lot since the other bikes (tourers, viragos, etc) were not even touched!

i had full coverage with Nationwide insurance. it remains to be see what and how much they will give me and how soon. i had a question for all those who've had their bikes stolen. how much of the value did the insurance company pay you back? is it the blue book? my bike was definitely worth atleast 1000 bucks more with all the modifications on it. can i claim the value of these mods from the insurance company???

for those who want to see what my bike looked like here is a link: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~az4z/F4.htm

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

--------------
arif
'99 F4 (just stolen)!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh, man- I don't even know what to say- I'm real sorry to hear that.

As far as the insurance goes, they will probably only give you the current book value. Which, could mean that if you financed the bike- well, it could be pretty depressing. I would try to take the receipts from the mods you've done and get them to the insurance company. What's the worst thing they are gonna say- no? It's definitely worth a shot.

Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to earn their customers' displeasure in situations like this. I really hope yours does right by you, especially at the kinds of premiums they charge us.

Just hang tough, man. And give your apt. manager some grief. "Secure" my ass. Never take a chance- any lock is better than none at all.

My sympathies- let us know what happens-

'cane

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hurricane (edited July 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 'cane,

i did not owe anything on my bike. it was paid in cash. i just checked the blue book value at kelly's and it gave a figure of $7130.

yes, i do plan on getting my receipts together and see what i could do about the mods.

and yes i definitely plan on giving my apt. manager a piece of my mind!! :mad: :mad:

-----------
arif
'99 F4

·
Registered
88 Posts
"Secure" garage huh? Bummer. Do you also have renter's insurance? If it is so secure are the contents of the garage covered by the complex's insurance? I would also check into these things. They make up the difference. I also wouldn't accept the first offer the insurance company throws out. I went through an ordeal when my house was struck by a small tornado. My garage and both cars were dmamged. By the time I got through arguing and generally bugging the shit out of them they paid everything, including replacement value of a tree I had growing in the front yard. Just don't give up. It may take a while.

And in the mean time----That BITES.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
OH Man Arif! Im so bummed for you!! Dont worry bro, I know it sucks right now, but remember -they are replaceable even though yours was super sweet. :)

I believe they will give you street replacement value and should also pay for upgrades if you show receipts.

Good luck with the ins. co. It will probably be a good 30 day before they pay up.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
That blows man. Sorry to hear it. :(

If it's of any consolation, it tells you that even the thieves know the Hondas are worth the risk and the Yamahas aren't. ;)

That should wake up Chris. :D :p

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sad news indeed, but it could always be worse. My friends car was stolen, he got it back, but his stereo was ripped out. The ins. co. paid for damage to car, but wouldn't replace stereo. Luckily his personal home insurance covered it. Maybe you can look into this if your ins co. wont cover mods. I would put an ad on all classified ads and everywhere you can, maybe you can make that asshole's job a little tougher in making money off your bike. I guess you can start daydreaming about what your next bike will be....yaahooo.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh man... that really sucks... :( I don't have a lock for my bike either... I wish you lots of luck with the insurance! I know it can be hard, but they are replaceable!!!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Man, I totally feel your pain. Every night when I leave my bike and go into my apartment I wonder and hope it will be there when I awake in the morning. I plan on getting an alarm and meeting anyone that might set it off with my Mossberg 12 gauge. You really had a sweet F4, almost got me to buy one.
Best of luck with the insurance co.

Sincerely

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the bad news. You hate to hear things like this. Hope you get a new ride SOON, but I know it's not the same. :(

Good luck with your Ins. company.. Sorry Bro

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Arif,
Man I'm grieving for you...that was a sweet ride. I hope the insurance process goes smooth and you get what you need to replace at least the physical connection if not the emotional....

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f**k the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

·
Registered
380 Posts
Man that sucks! I know how you feel. I had a CBR 1000 stolen like that. You feel violated in a way. I almost went into shock. lol My first reaction when I saw the empty parking slot was to sit down and think, " Someones taken my bike for a ride, I better sit here and wait for them." After I finally returned to my senses I called the cops and got things going. The insurance paid the blue book value. Most mods have to be insured/covered on your policy I think. I know they have always asked me if I had any modifications I would like covered also. Good luck and sorry!

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thieves plain suck! They deserve Smith and Wesson justice.

I park in a garage and still bolt down my bike and cover it if I will be gone for more than a few days.

I am sorry to hear about your loss and I hope that you have great luck with the insurance company. Hopefully, you will come out with a good deal on a new bike.

Lesson learned here would be that NO place is secure and lock you ride up everytime.

Good Luck

------------------
GSX-R750 -- If speed kills, do brakes give life?

P

·
0 Posts
Arif, man, that sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you. Your bike really was sweet.

I hope that you don't believe in self-fulfilling prophecies, or else you'll be blaming me for your bike being stolen - see my post, third to last, in this thread http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000343.html

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
503 Posts
ditto on the apologies.. that blows. but i would definatly go with trying to get some money from the complex if they advertise & claim to have a "secure" garage then they should have some liabilty. good luck & hopefully u get your new ride soon.

------------------

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you all for your support! i knew i could count on you guys :)

pete, you made me smile for the first time since yesterday. going back to that thread and seeing that guy in the background of the pic and your comment just lightened me up! thanks bro! :). too bad that i moved near Washington DC in june otherwise that guy would have had a lot of explaining to do!!!!

robert and will.... are we moving that above thread in the 'Tutorial' section? atleast then i could look forward to a complimentary SBW T-shirt :) to wipe my tears on...

i am praying that all works out well with the insurance company but it seems like i will be out of a ride for atleast 6 weeks from the looks of things at this point.

and then the major dilemma as to what bike to get???? :eek:

thanks guys for hearing me out.....

------------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man, Arif,

I'm sorry. Now I feel double the guilt that I didn't go riding with you guys a couple of weeks ago.

But I do have some good news, sort of. My '99 6R is for sale since I've ordered a new Ducati 996. My wife wants my 6R out ASAP. If you haven't seen it, it's completely trick and one of a kind. It gets a lot of attention in Northern Virginia. I was hoping to get at least $7200 for it but I'll make you a sweet deal if you're interested. E-mail me at [email protected] and we can talk about it.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Arif,
I need to find out from Robert how to do it, but it will definately be moving to the tutorials section.

There's some problems w/ certain T-shirts right now...something about the major manufacturers and copyright and Sportbikeworld using the bikes...blah blah blah....but I don't want to detract from your topic here, so I won't get into that....

Anyways, you'll be getting a T-shirt or something of equal value as soon as I figure out how to move it.

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f**k the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arif CBRF4:
robert and will.... are we moving that above thread in the 'Tutorial' section? atleast then i could look forward to a complimentary SBW T-shirt :) to wipe my tears on...
------------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YA Robert/ Will! Send Arif that New Niner-Duece-Niner shirt! He's gonna need it to match his new bike! :D

..."to wipe my tears on..." ARIF YOU HAM! :rolleyes: ;) Its good to see your taking this in stride. :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arif, I think I had seen you and your bike at Sperryville before shooting the gap. Man I am sorry to hear about your loss. C'ville is a small town I'll keep my eyes open as thieves are pretty damn stupid or else they wouldn't be thieves!
J.B. ZX7R

------------------
ENDCAN

1 - 20 of 34 Posts