Sportbike World banner

Stock top speeds

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  zxrider 
#1 ·
I was wondering were I could find the top speeds of these bike's STOCK.
GSXR 750, 1000
CBR 929, 954 and 1000
ZX 636, 1000
and the R1 and R6

#3 ·
zemke405 said:
I was wondering were I could find the top speeds of these bike's STOCK.
GSXR 750, 1000
CBR 929, 954 and 1000
ZX 636, 1000
and the R1 and R6
Honestly, what makes the difference? They're all fast. They're all unbelievably fast. Are you using this as a criteria for purchasing your first bike?

#6 ·
I go along with the post by mkeeney. Only place you can possibly reach the top speeds of said bikes is at the track & even then so much will depend upon the circuit itself, the set-up of the suspension & your riding ability.

I have owned bikes of 1000cc, 500cc, 750cc, 600cc, 929cc to 954cc & all were bikes I obtained speeding tickets on when still gurggling down low at 5 to 7 thou which is way above the max speeds of the roads here in B.C. Cdn.

#8 ·
03Gsxr600 said:
who said thats why he even wanted a bike to begin with...he's just askin a question tryin to get an answer...cut him some slack
Sorry, but I question the motives of anyone who comes on here asking about what bike is the fastest, best handling, etc. They are either 15 years old or using the wrong criteria for buying the wrong beginner bike. Feel free to post up links with top speeds if you like. I'll continue to question why it's important to them.

#9 ·
mkeeney said:
Sorry, but I question the motives of anyone who comes on here asking about what bike is the fastest, best handling, etc. They are either 15 years old or using the wrong criteria for buying the wrong beginner bike. Feel free to post up links with top speeds if you like. I'll continue to question why it's important to them.
who said he was even a beginner...if he wants to get on somethin with 30 years experience or no experience at all...thats his own choice...it'll most likely be the wrong choice but theres nothin anybody can do about it especially from a forum website

#10 ·
03Gsxr600 said:
who said he was even a beginner...if he wants to get on somethin with 30 years experience or no experience at all...thats his own choice...it'll most likely be the wrong choice but theres nothin anybody can do about it especially from a forum website
He said he was a beginner:
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63127

I guess we should take down the new rider stickies since you've proclaimed them ineffective. We're all just wasting our time here when we try to help out new riders. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
03Gsxr600 said:
Actually, you're wrong. We've had several newb's join this forum with grand plans of buying the latest go-fast bike, but have then come back to reality after listening to the advice of members.

As a new member, though, you'd have no idea of this.

#13 ·
I am one who was talked down from a sexy supersport. May have saved my life. I'm now in the search of a bandit 600/ sv 650.

Bottom line this guy (gal?) didn't introduce himself, and did not make any sort of conversation. I dont like to jump to conclusions, but prolly a young person. If your old enough to ride a motorcycle, you should be able to speak full sentences.

#15 ·
Dan6615 said:
If you are then buy a scooter!
Good lord, don't say that! Hearing the word 'scooter' is the pang of dread for every sportbike rider.

I commonly see scooters parked in the mc spaces around campus... they truly look like toys parked next to sportbikes. I've seen one with what looked like a garbage can for a basket mounted on the front. Ridiculous. The riders seem so cheery and happy too... I wouldn't be surprised if a sportbike guy would ride up next to one and push him into an oncoming car. That would be the best YouTube video ever!

Its funny, the campus motorcycle club (predominately sportbikes) tape flyers on people's bikes but always seem to 'forget' the scooters, heheh.

#16 ·
OSUrid3r said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a sportbike guy would ride up next to one and push him into an oncoming car. That would be the best YouTube video ever!
hahahaha! funny....but your so gonna catch shit for that one.:laughing:

#17 ·
Honestly, if you want to reach the top speed of most bikes, you would need at least 2 miles of straight level road. Once you hit 120, you acceleration starts to hit of diminishing returns and takes. It may take 10 seconds for liter bikes to reach 120+mph in a 1/4 mile but it'll take them about another mile to just go another 30mph to about 150-160. Then another bike to hit 170's.

The faster you go, the amount of power to propel the bike and break the coefficient of friction from the road and wind is proportional. It only takes about 30hp to go 65mph but it'll take all 160+ to go 165. Another extreme example, the Bugatti Veryon (sp?) only requires 250 hp to go 160mph, but it takes 1000hp to reach 260mph.

And for stock purposes, no jap production bike will go beyond 320kph (or 186mph) because of the limiter.

#18 ·
Meat_Shield said:
hahahaha! funny....but your so gonna catch shit for that one.:laughing:
Oh yes, I could see it so clearly: a platoon of buzzing scooters bent on sportbiker revenge angrily but yet comically catching up to me with cardigans and Converses in hand. Then, I increase my speed to 40.01 mph and they slowly disappear in my mirrors only to get hit by a bus full of children with flailing appendages, or something. :p

When in a cage, think of it like a video game where each downed scooter rider scores you 10 points. 20 for old fat men trying to pick up chicks.

I think I may have just started something...

#20 ·
JBaz said:
Honestly, if you want to reach the top speed of most bikes, you would need at least 2 miles of straight level road. Once you hit 120, you acceleration starts to hit of diminishing returns and takes. It may take 10 seconds for liter bikes to reach 120+mph in a 1/4 mile but it'll take them about another mile to just go another 30mph to about 150-160. Then another bike to hit 170's.

The faster you go, the amount of power to propel the bike and break the coefficient of friction from the road and wind is proportional. It only takes about 30hp to go 65mph but it'll take all 160+ to go 165. Another extreme example, the Bugatti Veryon (sp?) only requires 250 hp to go 160mph, but it takes 1000hp to reach 260mph.

And for stock purposes, no jap production bike will go beyond 320kph (or 186mph) because of the limiter.
And a really good tuck. An elbow or helmet sticking out just a little too far can rob you of 10-15 mph easy. Want good brakes at those speeds? Sit upright.

#22 ·
Sportrider, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, will have slightly different postings. Manufacturer web sites? Real world most sportbikes aren't stock, and performance varies bike to bike.
Comparing fueling (fuel/air mixture), torque and HP curves usually much more important.
How controllably the mc in question lets you put power or lean to use is key, until your skill compensates.

#25 ·
:D

Attachments

#26 ·
Let's make this simple:

Current 600's top out at about 158-160mph.

The GSXR 750- about 170.

Current literbikes- about 180-185.

The older CBR 929/954 you asked about top out at about 170.

That all being said, if your only interest is in top speed, just buy a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa. They have no artificial speed limiting controls and CycleWorld magazine got one to hit 194 mph. That is the fastest you will ever be able to go on a stock production motorcycle in this country. Good luck with that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.