Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people...i havent been posting on here in a couple months because my roomated hauled ass on me and left me with a 650 a month not to pay so needless to say i got out the apartment...they said it was due to my bike....hehe
anyway i am awaiting my new sharkskinz tail and i am ready to paint but before that a friend of mine told me that i would ever be able to get my bike back to they way it was mechanically...as in it wont ride the same? hmmm....i took it for a ride couple weeks ago with no tail and it seemed fine to me....is it that hes just concerned for my health? it seems out of his league to tell me how to fix somthing? back on topic did the wreck really screw up my bike? and if so how could i check it? thanks in advance
btw bike will be painted silver...then flames and logos will be painted on later

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Take it to a mechanic to look at the frame, wheels, and swingarm for anything out of "even" (twisted, bent, whatever). Sometime its hard to see visually, but can be felt at high speeds. Oh, and add forks to that list if yours look reasonably ok.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
kanwisch said:
Take it to a mechanic to look at the frame, wheels, and swingarm for anything out of "even" (twisted, bent, whatever). Sometime its hard to see visually, but can be felt at high speeds. Oh, and add forks to that list if yours look reasonably ok.
Take the bike to a place like GMDComputrack...unless a tech has a measurring device, like a jig...there's no way to tell if a frame is bent...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I simply handed my dinged up 600r to a top rate m/c mechanic that I trusted---while I continued to ride the 929. He came back with info on the major worries of frame, steering head, & forks were not effected as he had riden it around with a lot off the bike. Then I knew what to do.

If one has the money(?) it is worth $100.00 to let someone else take a look.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
All I'm saying is, there's no way to look at a bike, and tell if it has a bent frame..ect..even riding a bike with a frame that slightly out of wack may NOT produce any ill effects..imho, it's best to 100% sure that the frame is straight, and to do that, you need to set the bike up in a jig, and measure it...this does not aplly to forks, a sub frame where any damage is obvious. I could be nit picking, but I wanna be sure my bike is going to be safe when taking a turn at 125 mph +...:D

http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most people will happily buy a used bike and if it feels right on a test ride just buy it and ride the pants of the thing, even if there are signs of repair.

I agree that unless you get any bike properly jigged you will never know if it's a bit out of whack or not.

:)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks gents......i took the bike out this sat for a ride and was taking corners at pace....im still in the process of tweaking my riding ability so as of now it feels fine to me
thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts