Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed that article posted by one of the members,and I still do not have the desired result.

I bought the Craftsman Tool and all the other tools,and Still,I do not have that shiny finish,there is still a haze to the work,it does not look they way it should.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Is the speed of the Craftsman Polisher too slow or what?
How do you get the metal to gleam?

I am getting very frustrated with this

Thanks

FRKRIZO

·
Registered
68 Posts
well one thought is did you get off all the clear coat? If so maybe you just need to use a different final polish. Here is what I used. Easy Off oven cleaner, red jewlers rouge, and then Mothers Aluminum and mag polish. My brackets look like mirrors, but then were replaced with two straps of CF to hold my pipes at a higher angle. Now I have no rear pegs....

MIke

·
Registered
26 Posts
FRKRIZO I know where you're coming from. I've attempted two frames in the past 5 years. Both times the frames looked like chrome from certain angles but when you got close and looked straight on there was a hazy appearance. I tried talking to numerous polishing shops, tried different speed buffers,tried different brands of polishing rouges and polishes, nothing worked at removing this haze.
I've polished smaller items that didn't have the large flat surface area that the frame does and they look great. I wish that I had an answere for ya.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do a fair amount of polishing through my business.
I don't know what method you used to polish your pieces, but from the sounds of your results you did it by wet sanding.
If I'm right then that may explain your "haze". Aluminum is pourous (sp?) and when you wet sand, the black water from sanding seeps into the pours of the metal and causes the haze.
The only way to I've found to get rid of it is to start over and resand and polish the pieces only don't use water. Also instead of Mothers,Eagle One, or any other polishing paste, go to the hardware store and buy some polishing rouge in medium and fine/finishing grits. It's about $5 a stick and shines much better than any of the other polishes out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts