Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not feelin the love, need some help here. My wifes 99 500 Vulcan has a problem with the clutch. The damn thing has to be jerked quite hard, the wife can not manage it, or it must be started to unstick it. This must be done with the front brake engaged or the bike lurches foreward. What the hell can I do? Wife really likes the ride, but I hear it is a common problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sorry, Prometheus, but I'm not that familiar with the Vulcan clutch. I assume it is either a cable or hydraulic unit. If it is a cable, how much free play is there in the lever? In other words, how far in do you have to move it before the clutch begins to disengage? Standard is 3-5 mm. If there is more, do you know how to adjust it?
If it is a hydraulic unit, has the system ever been bled? The procedure is just like bleeding brakes. Let me know which system her bike has. I'll be going to the bike shop within the next couple of days, and I will look at a Vulcan, and see what I can find out for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the damn thing has a manual clutch, with almost no discernable slack in the cable. And, I now see I neglected to mention that it onlly does this when it is cold. Once the bike warms up, it seems quite "normal".

Any Ideas?? Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts