Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im thinking of getting a steering-stabilizer for my buell, buell has limited makers and models.
I know there are two styles: A & B

The Pooper = Style B: :hurl:
(+) easy roto-click adjustable, easy bolt-on install
(-) An eye-sore in my opinion, more expensive, if turning the wrong way I will impale myself

Number One = Style A: :cool:
(+) clean look, out of the way, 8-way adjustable, cheaper
(-) requires more time to install, might have clearance problems with the front fender

I choose style A :thumbs2:, is it worth it?

? ? ? ? Whoos n' Whoas ? ? ? ?
Any experiance, guidence, advice, knowledge, imput, lingo, quacks, flaps, flops, knocks? . . . about stabilizers in general ?

~~Thanks ! ! ! ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
See if you can find a rotary scotts/ohlins unit. They are much less likely to get hurt in a crash.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Whenever somebody asks me if they should get one or not my reply is always, "Its one of those things youd rather have and not need than need and not have."

I can't say much about either of the stabilizers you are looking at. I have an ohlins piston style that mounts on top of my triple like the rotary types that I love!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm with ryan on this one. If you got the money, why not. But now that you have considered buying one you have to get one cause something will go wrong if you dont and you'll kick yourself in the ass.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
due to that the buell's frame is also the gas tank, you cant make any holes needed for a rotary, nor has the mounting points if there was a gas tank at the neck . . .
with no mountable area above the tripple tree, the linear type is the only capable dampener for the job. . .

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
That sucks. If it was me, I'd have someone weld me a few mounting points to the top of the frame, but something tells me you arent going to do that.
I'd go with A then, as it is the least likely of the two to scrape the ground in a fall. The thing about linear units is that they rely on the shaft being perfectly streight, and even a small fall provides enough force to bend the shaft. A small bend will wear out the seals quickly and you are looking at another $400 for a new one.

P.S.
http://gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_sport
GPR has got a rotary unit that fits buells

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S.
http://gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_sport
GPR has got a rotary unit that fits buells
add to favorites (click) save . . . done

thanks vash, I wanted a rotary, but couldnt find one

Bolt on applications only too. No holes to drill into your top clamp and no holes to drill into your frame. Light-weight mounting brackets and all in house prototyping insure a proper fit to your bike. This is the steering damper you want on your sport bike.
I find that hard to believe . . . emailing GPR . . .

thanks again

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I asked for full-instructions,
but the rep just said "Its true no holes to drill" and sent some pics . . .

BTW sportbikeworld creators, I CANT INSERT ANY PICTURES, the 'manage attachments' icon does not compute . . .

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hum . . . it just all of a sudden worked . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Aside from the funky arm, its a pretty neat setup. On a sidenote, whats up with buell making a very early 90's looking top three?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to hold off getting a dampner (maybe in sept). I secretly wanted it because when doing endos (stoppies, for you asinine ones who bleed from the ears when you hear endo in the wrong context), I was having problems with the steering wanting to collapse in on me. But I fixed my technique
===============
Aside from the funky arm, its a pretty neat setup. On a sidenote, whats up with buell making a very early 90's looking top three?
I've whoad back on this forum cuz im buzy . . .

Do you mean the top-tree? idk . . . kickin it old skool:cool:

how is it 90's btw?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its just such a large, plain casting. The other guys employ a thinner, lighter brace, often with more detail in the form of lightening holes. The clip ons are a seperate piece, so they are adjustable, and often made from a more exotic magnesium.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts