Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of steering stabalizer should i get for my 03 zx6r? Also is there anybody out there selling a used one or sites i can go too?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
docta_freeze said:
check the classified on this site and others..

i would go with a scotts rotary but they arent cheap..
I have Scotts on both my bikes. I paid full price for the 1st but found a deal on the 2nd from a guy parting out a bike. They are easy to install, no drilling or tapping, works like dream
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
You don't need a steering stabilizer. Save your money for good tires and rework the fork tubes by removing them and sending them to Lindemann Engineering. It will be the best money you ever spend on your bike. Forget the steering stabilizer. You will never do anything on the street to justify the expense of a Scott's damper, and the steering oscillations they are designed to reduce or prevent are not going to happen on your bike. I know some bikes need them, like the R1, but Kawasakis do not need them.

Now if it is just to look cool, you can buy a Hyper Pro. They come in colors to match your bike and they are fully adjustable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
fuster said:
You don't need a steering stabilizer. Save your money for good tires and rework the fork tubes by removing them and sending them to Lindemann Engineering. It will be the best money you ever spend on your bike. Forget the steering stabilizer. You will never do anything on the street to justify the expense of a Scott's damper, and the steering oscillations they are designed to reduce or prevent are not going to happen on your bike. I know some bikes need them, like the R1, but Kawasakis do not need them.

Now if it is just to look cool, you can buy a Hyper Pro. They come in colors to match your bike and they are fully adjustable.
the hyperpros are junk! check the reviews, had a buddy who wrecked with a hyperpro and the thing wont work anymore.. I love my scotts on the 954 and my buddy wouldnt ride his 10r without one.. I plan on putting one on my 600rr which is needed from what ive heard if you are really pushing or doing wheelies all the time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
docta_freeze said:
the hyperpros are junk! check the reviews, had a buddy who wrecked with a hyperpro and the thing wont work anymore.. I love my scotts on the 954 and my buddy wouldnt ride his 10r without one.. I plan on putting one on my 600rr which is needed from what ive heard if you are really pushing or doing wheelies all the time..
I am not endorsing one over another in terms of how they work. You can pull all the wheelies you want and a steering damper is going to do nothing for you. Who'd you talk to? A fellow squid? Right.

Scott's is a good damper for a racer. So is Hyperpro. If you damage any steering damper it should be replaced, so your comment about Hyperpro not working after it was "wrecked" (stunting I assume, right?) would apply to the Scotts as well. Pulling wheelies is stunting, and NO damper will help you do that any better, and if it is not adjusted properly it could kill you.

Soctt's is easiest to install. But it is too expensive for street use (translation: not needed, especially on a Kawasaki) and for a squid application it is totally useless. Try a frontal lobotomy. :rolleyes:

You may be able to buy a used damper from your local race organization, from a racer with extra parts (which they all probably have extra parts). Put an ad in their newsletter or call one of the organization's officers and ask, they may be able to hook you up with a good source to buy one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
I'm not a racer nor a stunter but the difference i noticed on both my bikes with the Scotts when under hard acceleration and the front wheel gets very light is significant. I've not had any problems with head shake since I installed them. Both the R6 & R1 have reputations of twitchy steering and incidents of head shake and the fact I can't really use my left hand to hold on may be a factor as well. If you are experiencing problems with head shake then a steering stabilizer may work for you. Suspension work will provide more advantages than a stabilizer by increasing your bike's over all handling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
fuster said:
I am not endorsing one over another in terms of how they work. You can pull all the wheelies you want and a steering damper is going to do nothing for you. Who'd you talk to? A fellow squid? Right.

Scott's is a good damper for a racer. So is Hyperpro. If you damage any steering damper it should be replaced, so your comment about Hyperpro not working after it was "wrecked" (stunting I assume, right?) would apply to the Scotts as well. Pulling wheelies is stunting, and NO damper will help you do that any better, and if it is not adjusted properly it could kill you.

Soctt's is easiest to install. But it is too expensive for street use (translation: not needed, especially on a Kawasaki) and for a squid application it is totally useless. Try a frontal lobotomy. :rolleyes:

You may be able to buy a used damper from your local race organization, from a racer with extra parts (which they all probably have extra parts). Put an ad in their newsletter or call one of the organization's officers and ask, they may be able to hook you up with a good source to buy one.

Squid no, track days yes.. The dampners can lessen headshakes from landing wheelies.. Yes my buddy wrecked stunting but if you check scotts website it states and i quote "Even a fairly severe "lay down" will not effect our stabilizer as it's protected from most crashes. The more common telescopic dampers are damaged in even the most trivial of crashes. Even dropping your bike can damage the telescopic type."

To each his own, i wouldnt ride without one but thats just my opinion..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would be using it for racing, i experienced last year on the track under hard accelerations when the front wheel gets light the steering starts to move all over the place, i feel this season as i am getting better i need a stabalizer for safety to stiffen the front end a bit, i don't stunt.

good points about scott's, because i will crash 1 day at the track, i was thinking about hyperpro, the new ones sound very good, about the adjustment on the fly ect....

but i may have to reconsider scotts, does it come with all brackets for my bike or are brackets seperate?

more feed back you'd be great

later

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW my avatar is from the track 2 years ago at Grattan raceway.

this past season i averaged mid 1:30's at the track and significant front end shake going up the hill to the front straight, i want to calm it down this season.

later
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
skydiver said:
about the adjustment on the fly

but i may have to reconsider scotts, does it come with all brackets for my bike or are brackets seperate?


:cool:
They sell the brackets with the stabilizer.

Scotts can be adjusted on the fly as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Good thing about scotts is if you have mutiple bikes then you can take and just switch the stablizer itself.. You are lookin at somewhere around 400 bux for the stablizer and the mount.. I would look for a used stablizer and just pay the 120.00 bux for the mounting bracket..

how is gratten? ive heard its a good time.. plannin on makin it up there this summer sometime with trackaholics..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trackoholics, is a great group, i started with them and they do a good job. The Track kicks ass, i hear from everybody, if you can ride fast on Grattan, you can ride anything out there, it has all the different types of turn you can dream of. Negative camber down hill right hander, a big 180 bowl positive camber. nice long straight ect.... ect...

great track i like it alot.

the trackdays have just been posted, not that many this year, so plan early, they book up fast.

later,

i will research scotts. i haven't seen to many stabalizer's in general used for sale, if any links please help, looking for right bracket too.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
R6steve said:
I'm not a racer nor a stunter but the difference i noticed on both my bikes with the Scotts when under hard acceleration and the front wheel gets very light is significant. I've not had any problems with head shake since I installed them. Both the R6 & R1 have reputations of twitchy steering and incidents of head shake and the fact I can't really use my left hand to hold on may be a factor as well. If you are experiencing problems with head shake then a steering stabilizer may work for you. Suspension work will provide more advantages than a stabilizer by increasing your bike's over all handling.
I would have to agree with you here R6steve. I had the pretty bad shake in the front end untill I installed a GPR steering damper. Although, I would like to try a Scott's damper when I buy my 2005 R1. Maybe it has to do with Yamaha's light sportbikes. After all the (New) R1 is the fastest.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Try a different brand bike. :D You probably find you don't need a stabilizer.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Tryin' to git under yer skin, fella. Actually a Honda or Suzuki would do just fine too....Besides, I had a couple of Yammies and they didn't need no stinkin' steering stabilizer....I could scrape so much metal on my Venture you'd think it wuz the Fourth of Juuly, and nary a shake in that steering head...:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
You may want to take a look at the tires you are using. Some profiles make your bike considerably more headshake prone than others.
Mismatching your tires (front and rear of different brands) can induce headshakes really easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
If you are doing 'Track Days' or racing then yes I can see putting on a good steering head damper. Otherwise no need to waste the money.

A hot trotting 600 to even higher being pushed to the max on track days can be different then one being riden around town or on they hwys.

If you are trying to find used ones then why not go for the GPR as it is less in price the the Scotts.

I have a Scotts on my '00 Honda 929 though put a GBR on the '03 Honda 954 & in the 3 months I rode it in'04 it was as good for me as the Scotts on the 929.

Both Scotts & GBR have mounting brackets for various m/cs, so one can transfer their rotary damper from one bike to another without a big cost factor.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top