Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if I should invest in one? any opinions?

yes i ride kinda fast at times :squid:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I am always for a steering damper, especailly if you are an agressive rider. When I had my GSXR I had one. When I bought my duc, I didn't. There was a noticable difference, especially at high speed turns and when landing wheelies. I have always felt, aggressive rider or not it is a wise investment. It will give you smoother transitions on turns, more stability when riding, and will optimize your steering effort. The difference is clearly notable.

There are many different types by many different manufactures that have many different features. There are Ohlins, Matris, and Scotts to name a few. You can spend anywhere from $200 to $800 on a damper. The price will vary depending on the features it has, mouting hardware, and the like.

It seems like you are an aggressive rider. I think I have only ridden with you once or twice. Either way, you know your riding style and if you should get one. Now the question is which damper to get.:2cents:

·
Registered
44 Posts
damper

It was night and day for my bike. I'm not a big wheelie guy, but the front tends to get light alot and it keeps everything smooth. It helps in tight turns when the front loads up. Good investment. :2cents:

I have a scotts and love it. It is alittle pricey,but worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Scotts.....through us at Ice Nine....

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
SR mag did a review in the last issue on like 20 different dampers...including graphs on how they performed. Personally, I think a damper where you forget it's even there is the way to go on a 12r. You'll most likely set an adjustable one to one setting 99% of the time on that bike and never touch it. But that's just my opinion. I didn't like the scotts on jesters 929 until I turned it almost all the way down. Otherwise...I felt like it was just irritating.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm starting to think my bike doesn't even need one. The front end never shakes at fast speeds. It's a heavy front end.

Is a damper supposed to help on cornering at all?

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
ManousoZX12 said:
I'm starting to think my bike doesn't even need one. The front end never shakes at fast speeds. It's a heavy front end.

Is a damper supposed to help on cornering at all?
Funny thing is, you will not notice that you needed one until you have one. Having one certainly makes a difference. :2cents:

But it is obviously your call. I feel that if you an agressive type rider, then you should spend the money.

Why do you think you needed one?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been thinking that my front end feels too loose. No, not when I'm at 8k in 1st. All the time. Sometimes it feels like I'm going to highside in a corner.

I don't know if it's supposed to feel like that, or if there is something wrong with the head bearings/steering stem.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
bring the bike up to us....we will talk.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I biked into work. Where are you guys located again? Maybe I'll head up there right after I get out. What time do you close? Will you be there?

·
Registered
798 Posts
again, make sure your suspension is dialed in.

a damper is like an insurance policy. its money but you'l be glad its there when you need it. i have an Ohlins on my F4i. no complaints. I got the whole kit for $350 last year.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
ManousoZX12 said:
I biked into work. Where are you guys located again? Maybe I'll head up there right after I get out. What time do you close? Will you be there?
will be there till 6ish...14 mile between Kelly and Beaconsfield (east of Groesbeck). Yes I will be there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts